Format: DVD|Change

on 4 June 2016
'The Wackers' is British comedy's darkest long night of the soul. It is desperately, clenchingly unfunny.
Not much more to say: acting's appalling; script situations are murderously crass and over-familiar..
Worst of all, it's the only TV series I've ever seen that actually hates it's own characters.

Howl at the overwrought gurning and gesticulating as the forced 'humour' is squeezed out.. Double-up at the skint scousers' outside lavvy, and the hysterically inventive jokes therewith.. Fall on the floor in fits at 'impish' Keith Chegwin and his..well, just at him, really.
Beam warmly as grandad lusts after his own teenage grand-daughter.. Eeww, wait !

Best you can say about this gormless series is that it's completely PC-free, but that on it's own isn't enough. Even that has to be disingenuous, blimpish, strike deserved targets.. 'The Wackers' is too busy being bogged down by its overtly contemptuous sneering at 7o's northern working class-ness to be bothered with any of that.
Subtlety-wise, and on every other comedy base, it makes 'On The Buses' look like 'M. Hulot's Holiday'.

Poor, poor Alison Steadman.

I'm struggling..
Just no on every level.
on 6 March 2016
I was 12 when this was first broadcast, and I don't remember it from then at all, which makes me think my mum and dad didn't want me to watch it, or it was on after I went to bed. I'm surprised if my mum and dad didn't watch this as would have been right up their street. Yes it's of its time, but this is wonderfully funny stuff with superb performances from Ken Jones and Sheila Fay(Only after looking online did I find out they were married in real life which really shows in their on screen chemistry. Sheila died in 2013 , and Ken went the year after as is often the case with devoted couples). The writing by Vince Chappell is excellent as you would expect Apparently the series caused a bit of controversy when first aired, and for the time it is quite err... forthright! If you're a fan of 70's humour I highly recommend this DVD, I consider it a lost classic.
on 18 June 2014
Is this the show with the theme song "oh, you are a mucky kid,..."?

I remember that one from the Telly and being outraged that the last show was not shown and the series cancelled.

Must have made a big impression at the time.
on 22 April 2014
I was so pleased to be able to get this dvd. My brother remembered it from years ago and the last episode was not shown as it was considered 'too raunchy' for it's day. Item arrived on time and well packed. Would recommend this seller.
on 30 March 2016
Plenty if laughs (and some dodgy acting!)...good old fashioned comedy before the age of pc
on 25 April 2016
I remember this being very funny and I wasn't disappointed
on 24 November 2014
Very entertaining, if my wife laughs at a comedy it's bound to be funny.....she laughed several times at this...say no more..recommended.
on 13 January 2014
A good comedy sitcom ....although a bit below the belt at times for its day but harmless ...I really enjoyed the series and glad I have it in my collections...
on 2 April 2016