Customer reviews

on 31 December 2013
I can only say the despite Schoenbergs reputation for being a difficult listen, I didn't find that to be the case here. Well recorded, and beautifully played by The Fred Sherry String Quartet I found it a very pleasing and satisfying listen. Yes it required concentration but repaid that with pleasure. The Transfigured Night was glorious. The reviews title says it all.
on 18 June 2014
The Transfigured night is a classic. I got the CD for the first quartet. It is the same idiom as Transfigured Night. Gustav Mahler was a fan and recommended it to Richard Strauss who also liked it. I found it a very charming piece. The Canons were entirely new to me and are nice simple pieces. Do not be put off by the atonal/serialist side of Schoenberg: that was a few years off and he was still firmly in the late romantic mold here. The performance is good.