on 29 January 2016
I am not usually a fan of historical fiction but lately reading Marius Mules 1 and now 2, plus the works of R W Peake, I have grown to like it however, I didn't like '2' as much as the first book. The reason being, and I know it is fiction but I found it a bit ridiculous on occasions when the hero is like some superhero! I also didn't like some of the rubbish made up about Caesar. At one point I was reading about a battle and thought - did that happen? So I referred to Caesar's 'Gallic commentaries and it didn't happen - all made up! On that basis, if you like facts then I wouldn't recommend this book.
on 1 July 2015
I loved this book and can't wait to continue to follow the major characters into the next book in the series. Although this is a comparatively new genre for me, I found the story gripping. The battle scenes were authentic enough, in my mind, to have been based on extensive and thorough research and it came as no surprise to learn, at the end of the book, that SJA Turney had used Caesar's war diaries as a basis for these novels. The characters came alive for me and I found it difficult to put the book down. This is one of those novels where the characters stay with you long after you have reluctantly turned the last page!
on 7 August 2013
I would really like to love these books as I love history and historical novels. I am a great fan of Bernard Cornwell, so you need to take that into account in this review.
I assume the history is good but the stories are not that gripping. Some of the events need a very large pinch of salt. I find the dialogue very wooden, the characterisation one-dimensional and the battle scenes, of which there are many, are strangely uninteresting. Women are practically non-existent: perhaps acceptable in these "Boys' Own" stories but I find it a bit odd that they figure hardly at all. I can't imagine the soldiers of Rome going without female company. This is made even more strange by the random appearance and mysterious disappearance of a Belgic lady in Fronto's life in this novel.
Sadly disappointing.
on 29 November 2015
I really love this series from S.J.A Turney, they are written in such a flowing manner similar to a Brandon Sanderson novel. Its obvious the author has spent a lot of time devoted to roman history as all of the stories are historically accurate in the broad sense. The novels are framed around the roman conquest of gaul from a senior officers view, with all of the views of caesar given from a completely different view to that usually portrayed from accounts of Brutus life.
on 16 August 2012
I've read a number of Simon Turney's novels, and really enjoy them. In many respects, his work reminds me of that of Anthony Riches. Both writers have an excellent understanding of the workings of the Roman Army and a solid knowledge of the history of that time. The characters are both well developed and believable, and I look forward to seeing 'what happens next'.

A cracking tale, which gets better as the series continues. I have already read Book 3, and I am pleased to note that the writers writing style and story telling ability have gone from strength to strength.

This is a series I would definitely recommend.
on 30 September 2013
I am a big fan of historical fiction but only found out about the Marius Mules series recently.
Finished the first book in two days then bought and rattled through the whole series in quick time.
Basically it follows one of Julius Caesar's Legion commanders (or Legate), Marcus Fronto, during the invasion of Gaul, each book taking one year of the campaign.
Marcus is a hard drinking soldiers' solider with little time for Politics which causes many clashes with not only Caesar but also some of the other commanders. He nevertheless is a masterful commander and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty to get the job done.
Well written and full of action, but also historically very informative.
Highly recommended.
on 22 October 2013
I don't like giving bad ratings to authors, I know how much hard work they have put in to it. This book, unfortunately for me, was just a good old school boy romp, lots of action with several spectacularly unlikely events, I just couldn't finish. I guess I was looking for a more historically accurate novels ,so by contrast with all the excitement but fantastically well researched and written try Outremer, Richard Allibone
on 1 August 2017
A big improvement on the first book of the series which was boring and almost unreadable. I am still not a fan but am a little happier about tackling the next in the series and I have stopped cursing the fact I bought several of the series on the strength of previous reviews.
on 22 October 2017
Excellent follow-on from the first book & just as funny. Am no expert but appears to be fairly historically accurate too. Turney sets the scene well, characters are believable & varied & keeps the action flowing but not too fast.
on 10 December 2013
Better portrayal of the campaign and battles, the characters developed very nicely indeed. I very much enjoyed the detail of how the Legates used their legions and auxiliaries as a whole unit, this is sometimes lost with other authors who write about the same period, I give that a star on it's own as I am sure that is how it really happened.

Have to say SJA Turney has become my current favourite author

Can MM3 be as good?