Customer reviews

2,008

A great piece of kit which has so improved my HP Pavilion 15-p156sa laptop (running Win 8.1)! However, Samsung don't make life easy.

I decided to clone my current HDD as I deemed this the better route. On reflection, as its a fairly new laptop, I may have been better off with a rebuild. Indeed, based on my exploits, see below, that's what I'd recommend! Anyway,.....

Firstly, based on user feedback, I decided to update the 1TB SSD with the Samsung Performance Restoration tool which I downloaded. I then discovered that, like the standard Samsung Magician software, it doesn't support these drives when connected via USB. As such, you have to undertake what I was loathe to do, that is, take the laptop to bits, installed the new SSD and then clone it, test it, upgrade it and finally test it again! A process I didn't want to repeat if the SSD proved to be faulty or Cloning failed!
As such, to avoid the above, I initially used Acronis True Image instead (I had a free copy from a previous Crucial SSD clone) with the SSD connected via a caddy to a USB port. This seemed to work fine even with the multiple partitions on my HDD. I then checked it out with CHKDSK and all tested OK. Then , the bit I was dreading, dismantling my laptop.

Why HP can't put a simple flap in the bottom cover (as always used to be the case) I don't know!

Anyway, after about 25 screws, some swearing and broken fingernails (unclipping the laptop top cover), in went the SSD, and the process was reversed (apart from the swearing which continued).

Fingers crossed, power on, a visit to BIOS, and up came the laptop! And quickly too. Boot was about 7 seconds compared with over 2 minutes previously.

So far, so good! So I then ran the Performance Restoration tool to upgrade the firmware. This completed telling me all had gone well. I rebooted and the laptop continually blue screened and failed to start. Investigation showed a corrupt file system and no recovery. Hmmm.......

Anyway, there was no going back now! So I put the old HDD in the caddy, got the Acronis DVD back in the drive, and cloned again to the SSD. The laptop now booted OK once more (though I've put the HDD and Acronis DVD in a safe place just in case!).

I then checked the firmware/performance upgrade was still good. It was. So I then ran the Samsung Magician software to check and optimise performance (which was straight forward ).

I am now the very happy owner of a very quick laptop, the SSD performs well and, apparently, reliably. Battery run time has also been extended. Indeed, I couldn't be more pleased.

I have given 5 Stars for the performance, despite the software! This SSD is highly recommended assuming you are prepared for the trials ahead, are persistent and patient! The rewards are worth it.
on 19 October 2015
I did a lot of research on SSDs before buying this Samsung. I wanted a brand I could trust with my data, so decided on the EVO. I have had this drive now for about 14 months now, so decided this would be the time to write a brief review. I cannot fault the performance and overall am very pleased with they way it has performed. I have had no errors or issues at all. I use a dual boot system using the Samsung SSD for Windows 8.1 (and now Windows 10 after an in-place upgrade) and another standard SATA III drive for Windows 7. The Samsung Magician software allows you to tweak the performance and tune the drive for increased performance or enhanced reliability or a balance of both as well as other options such as RAPID mode etc. Samsung provide firmware and software updates to ensure that the drive is kept updated as needed. I have no hesitation in recommending this drive and would certainly choose this brand again.
I'm getting consistent 492/500 MB per second read/writes from this with response times in the very very low milliseconds , I hope it stays stable, as I've been rather crazy and also bought the 1 TB capacity for my primary drive.

As a direct result of this insanity my system boots from from completely off fully in 4.7 seconds [win 8.1 64 bit,I7 4770k/16 GB DDR3] over provisioning and RAPID are enabled and the primary drive is set to maximum performance.

This 120 GB drive is my secondary drive and compares well to the slightly faster 1 TB Model EVO for speed.

The Samsung magician software sort of 'hoovers up' your files and the OS! from your old existing hard drive and then puts them on your ssd when you then cold swap them.

Be aware some computers will not like this if the oem pre-installed OS is on a protected or encrypted partition (and especially if the licence number for the os is in the actual computer bios)

I would advise to be guarded if you do not have a full version of an os disk, full backups of valuable files; and to try and learn all about your bios settings before you embark on the transition from HDD to SSD.

It may be a very painless smooth and easy transition for some models of computer but there are certain manufacturers who do not allow you to boot your os from anything but the drive they originally put in your machine - so in those circumstances unless you can literally rewrite/flash the bios or change the motherboard completely,things would be very frustrating, pronto.

Bear in mind where certain manufacturers supply a pre-installed HDD only version of your os, another *mechanical* HDD may not be allowed to boot,so it wouldn't be an SSD only issue.

For a new system build these are very nice and take little current and are up and running almost immediatley - remember to connect to sata 3 with the correct cables - I seldom spot them getting hotter than 40c

I used this > http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UA3I72/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
alongside the data migration software provided with zero issues, you could try your own preferred method or buy the kit version.

So an absolute delight - will keep you posted though!
on 4 March 2014
I purchased a 250GB version for my wifes laptop (£110). As she's a teacher I did not want to risk installing the drive into her machine and it fail in the first week or so and risk losing data and getting an unnecessary grief. I'll look to test the drive for a month or so before installing the drive in her HP G72.

I decided to test the drive in my 3 year old Sony Vaio. I initially tried to use the Samsung migration tool but I was not very successfull and internet searches resulted in lots of people complaining about various issues. I therefore decided to go for a new build. I downloaded the Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft together with a bootable USB utility from them. I installed Windows 7 from a USB key - no issues but I had previously updated my BIOS to look for the USB device in the boot order. The laptop then installed various fixes in the background but these were not too intrusive. It taken about 8 or so reboots to get the various fixes installed/configured.

Sony install a considerable amount of bloatware onto their machines. The advantage of clean build is that all of this gets removed and you can enable only what you need or want. If there is anything that you need you simply go to manfacturer website and download what you need. I did need to get the graphics and network drivers as the default Windows 7 software did not work too well. The other issue to be aware of is if you install from fresh then a complete laptop build will take time and you will need to source all of your application software. Every application I install gets saved to a special download directory that I archive so I always have access to at least 1 version of my software. It's a good habit to get into.

Another advantage of SSD's is that as there are no moving parts the drives generate considerably less heat (you can feel the difference out of the vents) and battery times also increase. My laptop runs much cooler and quieter now (less use of internal fan).

I also purchased a internal hard disk caddy so I have a second 500GB conventional disk inside the laptop. My Blu-ray drive now connects via an external USB connection to the laptop. I hardly use this so this was not an issue for me.

I've removed the windows logon prompt as I wanted to test the boot time. My laptop now boots straight into windows in about 18 seconds. I can then click on IExplorer and connect to a website immediately. If my laptop goes to sleep, the wake up time is less than a second.

An SSD upgrade in my opinion is highly recommended, will extend the life of your laptop and save you money.
on 24 July 2017
I liked this SSD until it completely failed after only 2.5 years of use. Used it to store my digital photo library on my laptop. Luckily I also use a NAS box to back up the data, but am now very wary of a device that failed with no warning. I have an identical model in the same laptop running the operating system, it is still working fine. I am now cloning the remaining disk on a regular basis, so that I do not lose the laptop as well. (The close is on to a regular hard disk as I no longer trust the SSD format.
Not sure if it is related but the Samsung Magician software prompted me to update it just before the disk failed. When I finished the update I ran the Magician software and it reported that both disks were healthy. Shortly after this the SSD failed.
on 1 April 2017
Very good replacement drive, excellent for the cost £226.98, no problem with installation or usage, drive passed all tests I could throw at it as an IT Pro.

Smooth OS installation from 3.5" SATA Drive on to this SSD, I used the Samsung Data Migration Wizard, that worked a treat, altough you may choose to do this with whatever Migration System you have, EaseUs, Acronis, etc.
The OS startup suddenly increase brilliantly fast, no problerm with the first time boot or any other bootup.
For the Price £226.98, this being a 1TB drive, it's been excellent value for money, I would definetly be happy to get another one, In fact I just may do that ^_^
Yashima
on 1 November 2014
I upgrade and service laptops in my spare time and always find myself coming back to these Samsung EVO SSD's.

Reliable drives, great product support and easily obtained drivers for all the OS's you could possibly imagine. That combined with fantastic benchmarking speeds I simply don't fit any other drive.

The bundled software is great for optimising new systems and the magic software makes transferring data a doddle - even for an amateur.

I normally combine this with a Tecknet 2.5" external USB 3.0 caddy from here to carry out the transfer without having to use another PC and then use the old drive as an external backup hard drive - works great every time!
on 15 February 2014
Believe the SSD hype. I the 250GB model installed alongside my two 1TB hard disks, and boot both Windows and Linux off it. Both OS's can boot in less than 10 seconds now, which is just mindblowing. In the past I've had enough time to go and get a drink while booting my PC, now, not so much.

For the price, Samsung have priced this drive very competitively, and it's absolutely worth the money if you value your time. Of course, with it being a solid state drive, it doesn't make any noise at all, and it's not susceptible to being dropped like a traditional hard drive. It doesn't even care if you mount it upside down (mine sits attached to the inside of my PC's side panel because there was nowhere else to easily put it).
on 19 March 2014
If there is a need to transfer data from your existing hard drive, just purchase, the Proxima Direct® USB 2.0 External 2.5" SATA Hard Drive HDD SSD Cable Adapter 5+17 22Pin from Amazon.

I installed a clean copy of Mavericks. Download the Mavericks installer from the Apple website onto a 6 gb memory stick, put the new SSD into your Mac, restart it with the memory stick installed into a USB port and follow the instructions.

One word of warning, as I created a clean copy of OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) I now cannot install certain software e.g. Logic Studio, those nice people at Apple want me to shell out more big bucks for an upgrade (well thats what they think, but if you Google, there is always a work round!)
on 21 July 2014
Absolutely brilliant. Been using it for 6 weeks now and the speed increase is everything that I was expecting and more. I now press the power button and by the time that I have got straight in my seat the computer is ready to go. With the old Seagate drive (only eighteen months old) I could go and make a cup of tea while I was waiting in the morning. Same system (Win7, i5 4670, 16Gb) with no changes (apart from the SSD) and now there is no wringing of the hands while waiting for programs to load its just click and go, the way computing should be. At the last measure it was fifteen seconds from cold to displaying my emails.