Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.32

on 22 October 2013
This was an easily read book presenting a problem that I was unaware of despite doing a tour of India a few years ago. I cannot believe that a civilised society could hold such beliefs and be so cruel to members that are so vunerable. There is still so much inequality towards women that needs to be addressed.
on 20 March 2014
I fail to understand how in the 21st century there are still cultures that treat widowed women in such a shameful way. If a man was widowed he would be treated with respect and dignity. These poor women have to hide from society and fend for themselves in a culture that actively scorns them. They need to be all gathered up and taken somewhere safe. Away from a society that neither cares nor understands the basics of human kindness. Locked in barbaric traditions that humiliate and degrade women for circumstances that are beyond their control. Its made all the more poignant that these are true accounts and the individuals mentioned are still out there fighting for survival in a society that goes out of its way to shun these unfortunate women. Whose only 'crime' is to be widowed.
on 27 October 2013
Really enjoyed the book, its amazing that this still happens in parts of indian, women being made widows before they're even born! The treatment and their survival is truly shocking, my heart went out to all of them. Must read. Couldn't put it down.
on 15 August 2014
The authoress ends this book with a parable, that echoes my own sentiments. With all the injustice to women still happening in this world, it can seem futile to tackle the issue. But, every person can make a difference!
on 14 February 2014
If you are the remotest bit interested in India and the role of some women in this rapidly developing country, you must read this. It is written by an Indian woman who persuades women to tell her their sOften horrific stories provided they are assured of anonymity. The English is sometimes a little unusual....Indian English has evolved differently. I was in India when I read it and couldn't put it down.
on 19 May 2014
This book explored a section of the Indian culture of which I had no awareness.It both appalled and fascinated me, it was written in a easy style,and demanded the reader to keep reading, that this disgusting treatment of women and children still takes place made me so upset and angry and yet thankful for my life.
on 21 August 2013
Very informatvive and gave me a better understanding of the Indian way of life. Written well and once started couldn't put it down.Makes us feel grateful that I live where I do without stigma,and freedom to make my own choices.The individual storys of widows and how their lives came to be are narrated beautifully by the author. Hope she has a follow on book.
on 13 May 2014
Brilliant book. I never knew the truth behind being a widow in India and the reality is truly shocking. It gives lots of info on the different cultures and beliefs that reside there and true stories that some, are so shocking you can barely believe it. The author is likable and genuinely caring and compassionate about the plight women have there and wants to make a change. Honestly such a good read.
on 8 April 2014
I real glimpse into the lives of widows in India
Very real account of many lives which lead to the same road some old some not even teens who live with a stigma, which takes away their freedom and social status
on 22 April 2015
Nothing great havnt even finished the book did not find it the least bit interesting and usually I like books like this overall a pretty boring read dont waste your money the only reason I gave it one star was because I had too