Customer reviews

Satyricon [Limited Edition Digipack Version]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 September 2017
Not a band I know much about when recommended to me. Liked it but didn't love it. Was expecting a bit more heavy but still pretty good
on 10 August 2015
This is an album that had received mixed reviews, some of my friends have said that Satyricon sold out with this one, but I disagree.

From the start of this album, it is darkly beautiful. There is a change in tone for Satyricon, they have matured and mastered their craft and as such this is not the raw blast beats and harsh vocals that we know and love. However this is not to say that the album is not aggressive or heavy. It remains that delicate Black Metal sound, but the is also a little more varied. As with other bands that have been going for twenty or more years, their sound has evolved and this is good. As much as I love their earlier stuff, I did not want a rehash of old themes and this album delivers as tey break new ground.

The guest vocalist on Phoenix is a good choice for a more rock sound, but with the backing of Frost on drums and the aggressive guitars from the rest of the band, this is a beautiful piece. However, it is entirely valid to argue that this song is a step away from Black Metal with its clean vocals and more gentle tempo.

As with bands like Enslaved and Opeth, Satyricon have grown up, their sound has developed into something unique and away from the generic clutter of some modern Black Metal bands. As such I greatly enjoyed this album, but I also still enjoy the ones that came before it. Were Satyricon to retire from the scene, this would be a lovely album to end on, a delicate and beautiful Swansong.
on 13 September 2014
Short but not so sweet I'm afraid. Very poor and hugely disappointing. MUST try harder!! If you can't then pack it in. Sorry...
on 6 December 2013
What is this beast that is named Satyricon that morphs so before our eyes? That cause certain insignificants to mess their pampers and cry to their mummy and facebook friend that what they see before them isn't black metal?

Musically speaking Satyricon are all over the place; pummelling BM, Cult of Luna style epic, almost pop like breaks all sprinkled with a bit of punk. It is varied and interesting, throwing up nice little nuances every time you listen to it, unfortunately it doesn't manage to set the world on fire like it threatens to, it is a shame but it does make you tingle with excitement at the potential bubbling away throughout which perhaps will be fully realised with their next album. Not that you should let this one pass you by because it is worth owning and will likely bring you lots of pleasure

Check out `Tro Og Kraft'
on 28 November 2013
everyone want to sond them like 1st albus but thsis one is great!!! dark, slow and dark. nice. Phonix is really good song.
on 31 December 2013
I'm not one who wishes for a return to the sound of Dark Medieval Times, I don't write on forums as ChristKrusher 666 and only listen to bands that wear 8 bullet belts, nor do I dislike the latter period Satyricon. The recent albums have become less interesting with each release, albeit with a corker or two on each. My Skin Is Cold was a straight up modern BM classic, it's just the rest of the album was dull. The rather flat but thudding sound of Now Diabolical seemed to make sense after the blast of my favourite, Rebel Extravaganza, but that sound just kept getting duller and duller, so I was interested to read Satyr talking of how amazing the sound of this album would be. A new chapter and all that.

Oh dear. This album is simply rubbish. I say it as a fan too. The pacing sounds like the band can't get out of second gear, the sound and production much the same as the previous couple of albums, if not worse. For all their talk as this being the defining album of Satyricon, this sounds like out takes from the last album or two.
It's always hard to be as interested in a band after so long, you'll always have your favourite period etc, and these fellas are getting on a bit. I don't go to Satyricon for that evil blast that some BM gives, nor the proggy expanse of peers Enslaved, but they always seemed to have something great about them that has simply gone.

The last three times I've seen them it's been an almost identical set list too, made worse by the rent a band set up that makes it seem a bit cabaret. I think they've caught themselves in a corner and this album sounds like it.
As suggested by the band, I gave it a number of listens in all situations, walking the dog on headphones, at home up loud, in the car and it never once jumped out at me, merely whimpered, and at one point during the appalling song with guest clean vocals I had to switch it off.
Avoid it at all costs, there is so much great BM out there of all flavours, try something else.
on 25 October 2013
I didn't like it at first but than took it all in. It's just one of those albums that take time and few plays for some reason. It has a fairly simple structure but still it started to grow on me after 2-3 times. It's in my player for a few days already and I like it more every time around.
on 18 September 2013
Black Metal purists will no doubt be burning down the churches at Satyricon's latest offering, and they would be quite right to be a little incensed. Satyricon are no longer a Black Metal band, this doesn't mean that they no longer rock. Satyricon have been changing musically since Now Diabolical to a more hard rock/metal sound with just a little bit of Black Metal thrown in. All bands change their sound over time, not just to be more commercially appealing, but as musician's they are always looking to experiment. This self titled album is a change further from The Age of Nero yet it still retains the unmistakable sound of satyr and Frost. The stand out tracks are; The first 2 track 'Voice of Shadows' and 'Tro Og Kraft' are slow and heavy with loads of riffing and is lyrically heavy also. 'Phoenix' is a track that will be the most surprising to listeners, it is slow and has clean vocals, it sounds like a cross of King Diamond and The Mission, it grows on you, in fact it is the track I have played the most from this album. 'The Infinity of Time and Space' is the standout Black metal track which sounds timeless and is my favourite and despite my liken of 'Phoenix' this is my favourite track. This is a worthy album of Satyricon for both fans and non fans alike. I can't wait to see them live in November as they kicked ass at this years Download festival.
on 7 October 2013
With their new album Satyricon prove that they are a great band. An atmospheric and powerfull black metal album. For my opinion a worth buying masterpiece.
on 28 November 2013
Excelent work by one of the biggest Black Metal band in the world, this work is different from the firsts three works of the band but it's a very good work and since the begining you will understand that is a Satyricon album.