Customer reviews

on 4 February 2015
I bought this to have some free USB 2.0 ports available for my system while having two devices permanently connected.
Unfortunately that configuration did not work for me as the 2 devices (razer headset & Xbox controller) had a compatability issue when connected at the same time. The audio would stop from the headset or the Xbox controller would stop working randomly. I tested the devices individually to my computer and there were no problems.
The USB cable provided was also very short so I had to use an extension cable. The hub is very lightweight and plasticity and doesn't feel well constructed,
I tested other devices like flash drives and bus powered portable hard drives and did not have any issue with those.

I have since purchased another powered USB hub for nearly the same price. This one has better build quality and has no compatibility issues with any devices I tested and has the same amount of ports.

on 12 January 2017
The description on Amazon isn't exactly clear, it implies that it is one-to-five ports data with two ports purely for charging, but in actual fact is one-to-seven ports data, and I think the two ports on their own are of a higher amperage to charge tablets and phones faster, while still giving data connectivity.
on 22 March 2017
I bought this to use with a Raspberry PI and I am pleased to say that it works very well. I have a wireless mouse and a mini-keyboard plugged in along with other peripherals as I need them and the PI sees them all.

I has my recommendation as a well priced reliable product.
on 27 January 2017
This worked for almost 18 months before inexplicably overheating and smoking! I now see that others have had a similar experience. I think Amazon should investigate before a serious fire takes place.
on 26 September 2015
I was after a USB 2 hub to attach all my USB 2 devices to my iMac (I'm being pretty specific as I have dedicated USB 3 hub for USB 3 devices). It's a powered hub with 5 USB slots on the rear and 2 on the front. Operationally it's fine, but the 2 front ports are "upside down" compared to what you'd usually expect which is a bit of a pain. There is a red LED on the front which will tell you if the hub is powered on or not. The base provides enough support to stop the hub from falling over with all 7 ports in use.
on 16 July 2017
This is a bonus for anyone who like us needs extra USB connections the 2 rear USB ports are good to charge or power up things like desk fans etc and the front ones we used to connect a mouse and other USB items but the front ports are not powered so they won't charge up phones or anything else that needs to be powered up the supplied power adaptor is quite powerful enough to charge 2 phones up via the rear ports.
This is my first Amazon Basics purchase and I must admit that it is perfect for the job!

I wanted a powered USB hub because I have a few external Hard Drives. The hub has no problem dealing with them. I have it tucked away because I don't need to keep switching ports, but it's so small I could easily put it anywhere. So far, I have used all but two of the ports. I also have an iphone and iPod plugged into it and the hub charges them with zero hassle.

Great value for money and I shall keep an eye out for further Amazon Basics products.
on 17 October 2014
A great number of USB 2.0 ports in a very small and aesthetically appealing bundle -it worked straight out of the box, like you would expect it to.

This unit is acting as a shared hub between an ubuntu server and a Windows Vista laptop without any bother at all. The unit is so small that it sits easily on top of an external hard drive and the power unit is in UK format (without need of an adaptor) and isn't greedy for socket space.

The ONLY criticism I have is that the unit is so small and light that the torsion of a larger USB cable, when twisted, will rotate it off balance - not an issue if you've put it somewhere out of sight, but may be consideration if it's part of your desktop.
on 14 February 2016
Very useful, although it doesn't stay in place if you try to use it horizontally - the weight of having it full of wires makes it fall off whatever you've got it on. It wiorks very well when vertical though and was a cheap and very effective solution to an extremely annoying problem - I no longer have to unplug and plugin constantly, I just leave everything connected.
on 11 December 2014
Having bought loads of different hubs recently I was very dubious that this would be any different as it says its an Amazon basics. However, I could not be more wrong as it looks amazing and works perfectly too. Have got a printer, keyboard and external disc drive attached to it and everything works perfectly, whereas I have had so many problems with previous purchases. Obviously I cannot comment on its longevity as only just bought it but so far very impressed.