on 10 May 2014
This is a truly remarkable film and I am at a loss to understand why it has never been released in this country.
It is almost like watching actual footage from a space mission - the actors and the special effects are most convincing.
The only weak points are the (sometimes) difficult to understand dialogue and the somewhat erratic timeline. You only get to find out why one of the crew suddenly disappears later in the film, but this in no way detracts from the film.

Thoroughly recommend this to any SF fans.
on 10 June 2014
I am very happy with this film, it is not the normal action film like you would get of the U.S.A.
But more of a ''what if'' type of Film, that is what makes it so good.
At first I was thinking that it was all in German, but the main film can be watched in English.
Although it was 7 day's from my order before me getting it, I will still say that it was I'm glad that I did order it.
on 23 June 2016
My personal opinion? I have been a fan of science fiction since I started to watch films and read books. This film is very watchable with good solid acting, a good relevant sound score and is totally convincing within its context. It's not Hollywood sci-fi action and melodrama, but a serious attempt to predict what a mission to Europa might be like with an intended landing, not forgetting that Arthur C Clarke suggested Europa as a possible alien life form source in his later books. I particularly liked the way it portrayed the everyday mission grind and how the crew interacted which each other over the months it took to get there. My favourite sci-fi film has always been 2001:A Space Odyssey since seeing it when it was first released, but Europa Report is a good attempt to produce a realistic vision of a mission to Europa without any of the Hollywood 'style' to get in the way for people who can actually think and can maintain their attention beyond frequent scene changes. Definitely 10/10 for this film. Anybody who didn't enjoy it probably fits into the Hollywood category.
on 2 February 2015
This is the first space sci-fi movie I have seen in years that didn't make me want to throw a shoe at it. The ship design and space physics are flawless, and when we eventually do this for real this is what it will look like.

The story and acting are excellent, and the tension is built up steadily and convincingly without any of that annoying modern trend of creating drama by having the astronauts behave like petulant teenagers. They act like professionals, very far away from home, facing the unknown.
on 29 May 2014
Cheap price as its all German text on packaging .

Film did have English language though, so was all good.
on 25 April 2014
I was a bit mystified by the hype over Gravity and not sure why it was so critically acclaimed. Yes it was beautiful and jammed with expensive effects - but it left me a bit bored. Europa Report is ten times better in spite of having cost much less to make. Excellent actors, good science, gripping story - and it's proper Sci Fi.
on 6 August 2015
While I liked the movie as a whole, because I like being dropped into pretty much any sci-fi and/or space travel situations and simply enjoy the journey, I can end up a bit disappointed when the destination is either not there, is too obscure or badly described (storytelling is shambolic, etc), is too obvious, is "deus ex machina", or otherwise not thought provoking.

Sadly this story was pretty much linear, with adversities chucked in that wouldn't necessarily derail the mission being undertaken, just pick off personnel from time to time. The denouement wasn't exactly a revelation, once the underwater camera was "lost" I pretty much knew where the story would go, I just hadn't expected to go there in such a straight line.

If you watch Gravity, the story (not without holes of its own regarding the space debris etc) comprises a series of setbacks that are overcome, with the odds of succeeding diminishing all the time, and the "ticking clock" of depleting oxygen and so on. There's not really any "ticking clock" in Europa Report, no deadline we need to meet (at least none that feel urgent enough to raise the pressure) so that any adversity is simply overcome (or not) with no effect on the timeline. This bothers me.

I like the journeys that sci-fi and space fiction take me on, I like the setting, the "milieu" as writers like to say, but the personal journey through that setting has to mean something or risk coming up feeling hollow. Sadly none of the characters or even the mission developed in any significant way, and the only real moment of tension involves spacesuit contamination - which was well done.

I really wanted to like this, but sadly it just comes up as average. My wife, who's a little hard of hearing if the dialogue is mumbled enough, lamented the lack of subtitles too (something that Coherence also suffers from).
on 10 February 2016
Not bad at all. I concur with the reviewers who saw this as a good quality hardcore science fiction. High on tech and realism with no silly stuff... not that I mind silly (as in way out) but that sort of thing would have no place here. As is often the case with the genre, If you want a Hollywood happy ending, best go look somewhere else. A perfectly reasonable way to spend 90 mins of your time. If I could have given it 3.5 stars I would have but couldn't in all conscience move the decimal point backwards to a 3star. ... it's like 3.7 or something.
on 2 January 2014
Loved the concept of this movie, it ran like a documentary. It was gripping from start to finish, with great acting,
on 16 October 2015
A found footage story,of the first Manned exploration of Europa.

A privately funded deep space ship is sent to the icy moon of Jupiter to attempt to find life under the surface. But space is a dangerous place communication is lost and there are strange lights under the frozen surface. Very effective creepy film as well as using real science they give us characters to care about and a fascinating journey into the ultimate mystery.Are we alone?

Minor gripe:the film is disjointed and non linear ,maybe to amp up the found footage /out of order angle,but it does get mildly annoying at times.Chopping between early enthusiasm and later horror.

Absolute gob smacking ending and certain to be a classic ,its a shame (at time of writing) no ones seems to have heard of it