Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 September 2013
Mr Lanegan's previous album of covers helped cement his tombstone outlaw persona of the late nineties, it was very much an American album in sound and feel with tracks like Little Sadie and Shiloh Town contributing to the overall feel of a life lived in shadows on the run from the chain gang. This record is a very different prospect, whilst still largely an acoustic affair and with the same producer as I'll Take Care of You, it nevertheless feels as though Mark has aged considerably since the staggering Blues Funeral(2012) and doesn't once with this record conjur the malice in his voice that made the 1999 set of covers so compelling.
This is a good album, I'm a Lanegan completist and, as someone else here mentions, this is certainly not going to disappoint if you are too. "I'm not the loving kind" is perfectly delivered and bare opener "Flatlands", with it's rolling picked acoustic guitar and lush strings, sets the scene perfectly for something you expect might be wonderfully sorrowful. Sadly, the next few songs fall a little flat to my mind, not peaking again until "Pretty Colours" which sounds like a deathly dark Moody Blues. I often disliked how, in Mark's albums with Isobel Campbell, it would almost seem as if their reverence for the material they were tributing, coupled with their innate seriousness, would create the feeling of bathos as they fell slightly short of the mark. The same occurs here, "She's gone", "You only live twice", "Brompton Oratory" and "Elegie funebre" all fall a little short, but the heaviness of their delivery makes the song's slight failings seem much greater.
Four stars from me then, as I cherish anything from this artist. Perhaps four stars for the casual music fan looking for a dinner party record too...but for anyone wanting Screaming Trees/QOTSA/Gutter Twins/Blues Funeral Lanegan, I'd recommend treading with caution to avoid disappointment.
on 21 September 2013
I approached this album with trepidation. " Crooner" songs and Bond themes are not my thing and frankly I'd have been quite happy never to hear Mack the Knife ever again.But having said all that I'm really enjoying it, apart from Brompton Oratory which is just awful for many reasons and Autumn Leaves where to paraphrase the running gag from an obscure Scottish television comedy sketch show " Mark, you've taken this too far"

The Dulli song is just lovely; if I hadn't read the track listing I'm not sure I'd have recognised the Bond theme. Solitaire had me worried, but it really works. And I can bear hearing Mack the Knife !

It'll never be my favourite album and there's nothing that produces the jaw dropping sensation the first hearing of Carry Home or Shiloh Town or the more recent Red Balloon did but I'm liking it, especially as it's so against type casting.

I like Elégie Funèbre, too. It's a curiosity and it doesn't outstay its welcome
on 15 December 2013
Lanegan's previous release, Blues Funeral was absolutely essential listening. This one is okay - its an album of covers and for the most part quite mellow and subdued ones. He previously released an album of covers called I'll take care of you - a better batch of songs there in my opinion.
on 3 November 2013
There are some great tracks on here and some not so great. That's a function of the songs rather than Lanegan's performance, which is excellent as usual. Overall I much preferred black pudding....although I do love his version of Mack the Knife. Adds back the menace missing in most versions.
on 7 January 2014
I have all of Mark Lanegan's CDs (solo, collaborative or group) spanning some years now and after reading various critical reviews (mostly positive) was looking forward to hearing his version of a number of "classic" tracks on this CD, despite not really being a fan of cover versions. The vocal delivery is as good as always but I must confess that personally I find some tracks very difficult to listen to more than once - Mac the Knife, Solitaire and You Only Live Twice being particularly examples. Not to everyone's taste and probably of more interest to the avid collector of Mark Lanegan's music rather than the curious or occasional purchaser.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 September 2013
Every artist seems to have the desire to do a covers album, and the most interesting arethe ones where they choose tracks that seem to be outside their comfort zone. Lanegan has done this here and because of his unique throaty yet melifluous voice he has stamped his own personality all over these songs and genuinely made them his own. My highlight is Mack the knife, just the voice accompanied by a picked acoustic guitar. Eerily brilliant. Not all the tracks are stripped down though, the closer Autumn Leaves has a full string section attached for example.
I suspect this album may split Lanegan fans as it is very "out there" and quite a departure from previous works but I applaud his bravery and really enjoy this album.
55 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2013
Overall a good set of covers with the great Mark Lanegan giving his interpretations of these songs. The only one I do not like is 'Elegie funebre', for me it just does not work. While this cd is not his best work, its worth listening to. I would be interested to know if anyone else's version came with such a poor cd case? its basically a thin piece of card folded and glued, it is very tacky. It cheapens the product and for ten quid I personally expect more
on 25 September 2013
Superb album. Mark lanegan's vocals are so powerfully different that the songs almost seem to be rewritten as he sings them. Regardless of whether or not you know the songs already, Lanegan's vocals makes the album worth having.
on 25 April 2014
Been a massive Lanegan fan since the early '90s and Screaming Trees. This is a simple acoustic album featuring some unusual, but superb covers choices. As usual, Lanegan's voice is on top form.
on 17 February 2014
Mark Lanegan brings his unique style and presence to this album. Songs like 'Pretty Colors' & 'Im not the loving kind' sound better than ever. Lanegan also has a great French accent!!