on 12 October 2013
It`s a 4star because nothing`s perfect. The books parallel the humour of the TV programme style. Plot lines are typical of the Montalbano series, with the traditional obsessions about food, etc.

Not sure if the translation to English always works but, if you`re looking for a straightforward read, this won`t disappoint.

Not as dark as the Scandinavian crime books it`s Sicilian in it`s style & pace, more understandable if you`ve been to Sicily.

Sit back & enjoy. Good holiday / traveling read.
on 30 January 2016
Very disappointing. I came to this as a fan of the TV series and found the book, frankly, dull! Perhaps my expectations were too high. Or perhaps it loses something in translation.
on 15 April 2014
I have read all Camilleri's Previous books and expected to be entertained by another intriguing mystery, I was not disappointed. Mixture of humor and detection is something no other writer seems to achieve.
I would recommend this book to anyone but with warning it is an acquired taste.
on 10 March 2017
Yet another
on 23 November 2014
Really hooked on Montalbano. Have on Kindle, as books and on DVD. This one was up to usual high standards.
on 27 September 2014
We love the Montalbano books, this is an English translation or rather American English. Complements the BBC4 Italian film
A good price and arrived quickly
on 17 April 2017
Excellent - as always
I have enjoyed every one of the books in this series, but I think that this is, perhaps, the weakest that I have read. I guessed the plot fairly early on, but the clues were fairly transparent and these books are not simply whodunnit's, so the writing and the storyline is not spoiled because you know who the killer is. However, in this book , I found the eventual murder to be both gratuitous and, as a result of weaknesses in the plot, probably unnecessary. Nevertheless, the story is very readable and I had no difficulty in reading to the end and enjoying the experience for the most part. In the treasure Hunt we find Montalbano aging and becoming more introspective, concerned with his ability to do his job both physically and psychoogically. With little to do and still less to motivate him due to a general lack of serious crime, Montalbano is bored and ready to engage in a mind-game, (the treasure hunt of the title), engendered by a mysterious protagonist who is goading him into following clues that seem to lead nowhere. Bored eventually, even with this, he hands the task over to a student of human behaviour who is keen to study his methods: meanwhile a series of incidents and the disappearnace of a young woman, sets the detective on some serious work and the treasure hunt is put out of his mind as he focuses on the work of a madman.
on 7 April 2015
My main interest in the Inspector Montalbano stories is Luca Zingaretti, who plays the character on TV. I watched The Treasure Hunt on TV but felt that the production didn't tie up all the loose ends in the plot, so I decided to read the book. I enjoyed this one more than others in the series I've read; I thought the plot wasn't so convoluted as some of the other Montalbano stories, and there were fewer characters so it was easier to remember who was who.

Catarella is one of the most tedious characters in literary history (I'm afraid I have to skip the pages where he appears, as I find him pretty unbearable), and the boring long-distance relationship with the shrewish Livia should have been killed off long ago, but Montalbano himself continues to be interesting, humorous and believable. Worth a read.
on 13 August 2014
Another entertaining saga from Camilleri\s Montalbano series, featuring the grumpy detective, the studious Fazio, the philandering Mimi and the bumbling Catarella.

There were moments that made me laugh out loud, but there writing is top notch as always, as Montalbano is sent on what seems a wild goose chase with the mis-haps and detection that unravels.

It lacks a fifth star, because despite the light writing style and the excellent characterisation, the subject matter is uncomfortable and almost seems at odds with what's gone before.