on 23 February 2016
Wow, Fitzek knows how to write a thriller! I'd not heard of this author before, but the blurb of this book really drew me in. The short, punchy chapters really draw the reader into the mystery, starting with a double whammy in this one. As the novel progresses, things get weirder (or juicier, if you're a fan of psychologically complex plots) and I must say I savoured it all. Literally could not put this book down. It may be shorter than your regular novel, but it sure is a roller coaster of a ride. Enjoyed this writer and his plot so much I immediately downloaded some more of his books; one of which has me hooked already. Really visual writing style and suspenseful structure. Definite contenders for movies.
on 4 August 2014
... I initially downloaded the freebie start of the book. It had me enthralled from sentence 1.

I bought the book as I was so intrigued. That was yesterday afternoon. I just could not put it down, I read in bed, on the sofa, in the bathroom and the kitchen.

I was gripped, but also a little scared, it had me holding my breath, second guessing, wondering ... a bit of a roller coaster book of thrills. Very good plot, well written and quite, quite psychologically thrilling. Is he mad, is he sane and there is a dastardly plot against him, is he evil ... I'd definitely recommend this book to thrill seekers.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 March 2014
Others have given a synopsis of the plot, so I won't however this is one of the most interesting, thrilling and intense reads I've had in a long time. I was torn between not putting it down, and needing to look away, take a breath and regroup, before reading on. At various points I thought I knew what had happened, or how the story might unfold, and I was wrong, every time. In parts I was moved to tears. Exquisitely drawn characters, incredibly well-crafted plot, dripping with drama and intensity, utterly believable, highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2013
This book would not be for everyone. It explores a part of human nature that many people would rather leave to someone else. It was intriguing and had so many twists and turns that you felt you needed treatment! Definitely like this author, he has a way of writing that reads easily. Well worth reading if you like a challenge.
5 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2014
what a whirlwind of a book. It had twists and turns in spades never having read anything by the author before I was a bit apprehensive, but I'm so glad I did.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves thrillers with a twist, it has you guessing who Anna is all the way through the book, only to find out that she is a delusion as is the majority of the book but it doesn't leave you feeling cheated in any way. loved it and will be on the look out for more book by this author.
on 18 April 2014
When I started this book, I couldn't put it down, reading until my eyes resisted all attempts to keep them open... And still my mind was craving more story. It was very well written apart from the author's tendency to give the title mister to things like a cough. The plot though was a little far fetched and confusing at the end. I got lost in the many twists and turns. I wanted more of an ending, but was left feeling let down and with a sense of disbelief at the whole story.
on 28 October 2017
Not a bad story, translated books never read quite right. Like talking to someone with an strong accent, the words are technically correct but come over a bit odd. The characters are an unlikable bunch.
on 20 September 2014
I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy a good whodunit, although it could also be termed a what was done, why and how. Although it is not too difficult to work out the central plot, there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing. A well crafted and intelligently written novel which delves into the shadowy world of disturbed minds and psychological trauma.
First novel I have read by this author but I look forward to reading others.
on 18 December 2013
Once you start to read this book you won't be able to put it down until you are finished. With twists and turns on every page you really don't know where Fitzek is going until right at the end. I won't spoil the story but it is safe to say that once you discover what has happened to the main character, you will want to go back to the beginning and read it all over again. It really will put a different perspective on the tale. What are you waiting for? Get reading now!
on 6 September 2016
The first Sebastian Fitzek novel that I've read but it certainly won't be my last. If you like slightly more complex, gritty thrillers, then this one is for you. Twists and turns and moves in unexpected ways from start to finish.