Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 September 2013
[...]

John Legend is back!

After his multiplatinum GET LIFTED debut, he went on to release three more records, with only the ONCE AGAIN managing to make a significant impact on the charts. This time he's destined to succeed.

It is not a secret that Legend has been head over heels in love with an American model Christine Teigen. And boy, you can really hear it in every song on his new LOVE IN THE FUTURE cd.

He's collaborated with some of the most talented lyricist, composers and producers out there, which resulted in this super-sleekly produced record. His voice has never sounded so rich & mature, the melodies get beautifully drilled into your head, the backing vocalisations and their arrangements just fall into their right spheres. The entire album last for just over 49 minutes and speeds fast through your speakers, leaving you wanting more. Legend takes us on a journey of love, lust, passion & erotic desires. Amazing.

Love In The Future (02.09.2013)
Label: Good / Columbia
Executive producers: John Legend, Kanye West & Dave Tozer

The Beginning... - A proposal song. Legend asking the love of his life to marry him singing `last night was the last night you've ever spent alone ... It's the beginning of forever'. How could you say no? Beautiful strings at the beginning & the end of the track.

Open Your Eyes - story about a lonely girl who's lost and not able to see how much her admirer wants to `show her the light'.

Made To Love - Legend invites his lover to make love to him as an act of their mutual destinies, tenderly saying they `were made to love'. Fantastic tribal-feel-like arrangement, with a great bridge. Second single from the album which was given a rather racy promo-video.

Who Do We Think We Are (ft Rick Ross) - it looks at the wealth that comes with money and success, he's ready to go for it & party hard but the question keeps haunting him down.

All Of Me - Legend is still chasing after his lover but she's not giving it up too easily, beautiful lyrics `because all of me loves all of you, love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections'. And all of this with the company of Legend's fingers on a piano.

Hold On Longer - it is Legend's prayer for his relationship to survive through the hard times that lie ahead. Interesting psychedelic arrangement.

Save The Night - strong beat & undefined looped voices in the background give this song an unsettling feeling. Rightly so as Legend talks about his troubled home and his lonely soul needing to sing a duet.

Tomorrow - an up-tempo song in which Legend urges his lover not to waste any more time (as they have already waited all their lives) and follow his love.

Dreams - he's waiting for his lover patiently, even tho she's not willing to meet him, he's happy to be with her in his dreams, hoping that one day they will come true.

Wanna Be Loved - a hymn to all the single people out there, Legend is calling for everyone to let them be loved, saying that it's `better love for now than for never at all'.

You & I (Nobody In The World) - `You Fix your make up just so, guess you don't know that you're beautiful. Try on every dress that you own, you were fine in my eyes a half hour ago....You don't have to try... You're my one and only girl'. A music to every woman's ears.

Asylum - Legend finds a sanctuary & an asylum for him and his lover in the arms of their love. Beautiful vocals, Legends stripped to the bones.

Caught Up - a nice up-tempo track with a strange but nice chain-like-sound beat, Legend is tired after a long day at work, and wants to take his girl out for some fun time, he's feeling playful and loving.
on 15 November 2014
I bought this album having watched the video to the track ‘All of Me’, which if it doesn't get your eyes watering, then you must either have a heart of stone or be impermeable to a great love song. To echo the fine sentiments of another reviewer, P. Jedrusiak, this is a super-sleekly produced album, John Legend’s voice is rich & mature, the melodies are indeed drilled into your head and the backing vocalizations and their arrangements are spot on.

As I alluded to in another review, this is what I refer to as ‘Concorde music’ because in terms of quality and performance, it is so far above most other popular music. Plenty of songs have the power to ‘blow me away’ for sure, but that is in a two dimensional way. John Legend has that rare ability to transport me, and I suspect most of his audience too, into a three dimensional emotional journey. This is remarkable.

And there are not many artists that would be prepared to invite their audience to share in such an intimate journey as he has done in writing songs about his relationship with the beautiful Chrissy Teigen.

It’s been a real privilege listening to this album; thank you, Mr Legend, for making me feel so alive.
on 15 September 2013
Simply one of the best albums i own, which I 've not stopped playing since it was released this month. Beautifully written and performed, immaculately produced and of course a sensational voice! Quality throughout, most of the tracks are brilliant with several destined to be classics (Made To Love, Who Do We Think We Are, You And I, So Gone, All Of Me etc). Legend is back and at his very best.
on 16 March 2014
This album is absolutely brilliant!
Possibly his best so far!
I think 2 and 6 are the best songs on the album!
on 27 March 2016
The collection of songs showed the scope of John Legend's influences. Angel was reminiscent of Stevie Wonder, and Hold On Longer, of Barry Manilow's style of piano playing. That is not to say that he is copying them in any way, because in the end the style is all his own. There are several different styles incorporated in these songs, which made it interesting and a joy to listen to.
on 31 March 2015
Loads of songs to listen to, but not as good as I'd expected. The well known songs are great, but some of the one's I'd not heard before are not really to my taste. Never mind. I can always fast forward the songs I don't like and if I want to put some selected songs on my Ipod, I can pick and choose the songs I like.
on 7 March 2014
This is the first album I have listened to by John Legend.The songs are deep, soulful, melodious,heart-wrenching and brilliant!! WOW!!
on 12 January 2015
Excellent album from John Legend. Number of favourites on this album include "Save The Night", "So Gone" and "We Loved It" which also features the fabulous voice of Seal. But the ultimate favourite has to be "All Of Me". I just don't tire of this song. I just love John Legend's voice.
on 21 April 2014
John legend has a wonderful romantic voice, his music is perfect for `chilling' and background music. None of the songs really grabbed me though apart from his renowned one.
on 17 December 2014
Bought as present. When he heard it on tv he said how much he liked it. Its always great finding a new artist you enjoy. Ideal stocking filler. Arrived very quickly and well packaged. Looking forward to hearing it on Christmas day.