Customer reviews

The Mountain
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 October 2014
What a fantastic third album from Haken. Any lover of quality, passionate music won't fail to be impressed. Brilliant harmony vocals, Gentle Giant style vocals in places, superb musicianship and a little bit of the kitchen sink thrown in too. Harks back to the says when bands weren't afraid to experiment and boy does it all work here. Not a duff track, plenty of variety and all lovely melodies and themes. Just buy it! They have a sense of humour too!
3 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2015
Bless you Haken and praise for such an astonishing album.
Well for a starter there isn't a single waisted turn on this spiner.
For old prog heads like me that went all the way from the heavy rock turn to the such
Of Deep Purple>Pink Floyd>Rush>later on after some years of adaptation Dream Theater >Symphony X/Porcupine Tree
And The last two Opeth prog achievements >Tool ...to find the like of Haken is like wining the lottery for me! (In a way of saying ;) )
This band sure learn there craft to master it in any variation,and create yet such a perfect delivered album that hit all
Ticket in such fresh and unclich way...amazing,this one deserve all applause and then some more.
Bravo Haken.
on 30 November 2013
The best yet from Haken.
There's beauty, complexity, subtlety and power aplenty here.
Standout tracks:
Atlas Stone, Cockroach King & Paredolia
Also rans:
None, they're all good!

Some people might call Haken 'the British Dream Theater'; but they're better than that.
7 people found this helpful
on 7 September 2015
Just brilliantly. Progressive metal doesn't get any better than haken. It is very rare that a band releases four consecutive cd's without a single duff track, but they have managed it. In places, there are some sounds reminiscent of ''Headspace'', to whom if you haven't listened yet I would thoroughly recommend.
A personal favourite on this album is ''falling back to earth''. It has a gorgeous fast, heavy intro into a haunting verse. The high note at the end of this section is phenomenal.
"Atlas stone'' and ''in memoriam'' are another two great prog tracks, that I will never tire of, and ''because its there'' has a beautiful, lengthy intro of intricate vocal harmonies.
Its just a stunning album, no other way to put it. When you fond an album that you wish never ended, its a special occasion and ''the mountain'' gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. As I sit here writing this I'm listening to it now for the fifth time since buying, and it gets better every single time. Very well done Haken.
on 25 September 2013
Haken never disappoint, as the title suggests this is a massive album; both their previous albums were 5/5 and this surpasses both Aquarius and Visions. It didn't quite hit the spot immediately but after a couple of listens the beauty of this album hit home and the good thing about growers is that they get played a lot more. The progressive metal label is a little unfair as the variety and quality of the music is phenomenal and as a progressive music fan for forty years the Gentle Giant influences are greatly appreciated! Although there are stunning single tracks the album is greater than the sum of its parts and as with all great music that means no radio play... but who cares; and I thought Mr Wilson had album of the year wrapped-up already!
on 10 October 2015
I was lucky enough to catch Haken (rhymes with bacon apparently) at the recent Rambling Man Festival. I'd never heard of them before but after staying for one song at the 'Prog' stage with the full intention of then heading off to the main stage to catch the headliners...But I was so blown away by the sheer musicality, humour, and freshness of what I was hearing, I then stayed for the whole set - so glad I did! You can bet I bought 'The Mountain' as soon as I got home... If you are a fan of 1970's Prog Rock but are open to a really fresh modern take on progressive music then I can't recommend Haken highly enough!
on 18 September 2015
Yes, really got to agree with other reviewers that this is an impressive album by a Band at the top of their form. It grabs you immediately on the first listen which is quite rare for progressive rock . I give this only 4 stars instead of 5 as I prefer albums that grow on you as they provide more listening longevity but that's how I love my music. Still, impressive stuff and no prog rock fan will be disappointed by this purchase.
on 2 November 2015
New band for me, and this is the first album I have bought but certainly won't be the last. A startling album of music displaying a wide variety of influences delivered with a freshness and individuality that is very rare. Vocal harmonies, thrash metal guitars, soaring melodies, a jazz interlude - you get the picture! But it all blends together with great style and musicianship. A great addition to my collection and thoroughly recommended. Only disappointment is that their earlier work Aquarius is out of stock.
on 1 June 2017
Great band, every album is amazing. This one has Cockroach King on it which is probably their most pop sounding song, that's certainly not a criticism though.
on 22 January 2014
I really love this album having listened to it many times. First two tracks are great and immediately likeable but the other tracks are excellent too after a couple of listenings. These guys are reviving prog rock in a modern way - great musicianship without grandiose pretentiousness.
2 people found this helpful