Customer reviews

Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 30 August 2017
Dexter Morgan is a thirty something blood spatter analyst working with the forensic department in Miami. A critical incident in his early childhood haunts him and he’s described as psychopathic. He’s an excellent forensic analyst, but frustrated with the inability of Miami Police to bring murderers to justice, he meticulously plans and dispenses his own form of retribution to killers.
Constantly seeking to understand his own motivations, this is also the story of a damaged individual desperate to come to terms with his mindset while being able to avoid detection by living a normal life. Frustratingly for Dexter, it appears that just about everybody he encounters is also, in their own way, pretty damaged.

I usually read crime fiction, so a boxed set was a bit of a departure for me – but I did enjoy the series – it’s not complicated to watch, the storylines are intriguing, usually fast and pacy, including loads of cliffhangers, the acting is believable with some great characters.
Dexter’s sister Debra, a Miami Cop, makes Gordon Ramsay’s language sound mild. There is a lot of effing and blinding (mainly from Debra), and some rather bloody scenes – but while the macabre bits are gruesome, I didn’t find them unwatchable – the storyline doesn’t concentrate soley on making the viewer feel sick, but I couldn’t recommend this to those of a very sensitive disposition.

This beautifully presented boxed set contains the complete series 1 - 8 of Dexter – each series is comprises 4 CDs, each CD contains 4 episodes, the episodes are around 40 minutes long, so there’s many, many hours of ‘binge watching’ here. If you don’t binge, the beginning of each episode gives a quick resume of what’s been happening in the series as a quick reminder, although I found the repetitive intros to each episode a bit tedious – I got the allegories the first time.
What I would have liked, is more of the forensic science, there is some, but that's not what the series concentrates on.
Well worth getting if you enjoy crime thrillers and don’t mind lots of fake blood.
on 30 August 2017
I got pushed into this series by a friend who recommended it to me, rather enthusiastically I might add. I was hooked straight away; creepy, tense, gory with a cleverly executed tone of macabre humour, that had me sniggering at things you wouldn’t usually, I was gripped and- before I knew it- I had binged the entire boxset in a matter weeks.
Not only that but when I had finished the boxset- and desperate for a further fix of thrills- I even ordered the full set of Jeff Lindsay’s books that the series is based on. Again I was not disappointed, they contained all the elements that I had loved from the series (most of all the dark humour) while being different enough that I didn’t feel like I was just running over the exact same story again (which excited me because it was like getting a whole new series with all the characters that I had grown so fond of).
Now I find myself, like my friend before me, not being able to recommend this series (and the books) highly enough!
Also, I might add, that if, like me, you find yourself desperately craving more when finishing everything ‘Dexter’ I have also stumbled upon another book in the Kindle store that you might appreciate too. It’s titled ‘The Buzz’: The Problems with Being a Serial Killer’ by the author M. P. d’Andilly. That’s about a killer too. It’s a different concept but has a similar sort of sarcastic/twisted humout to it in parts that I think fans of ‘Dexter’ will appreciate (I did).
I hope this review is helpful for you all.
on 10 March 2017
Favourtie box set of all time, if you like american box sets with a real edge this is for you.

A series with a twist with amazing characters and actors.

Also the case for this boxset looks awesome on the shelf.
on 24 September 2017
Absolutely fantastic!!! Love dexter so much I had to have a hard copy!!
Absolutely love watching him at work!! One of my favourite TV episodes to watch ever!!!

Come as described and in fantastic condition. Couldn't be wrong!!! Brilliant. Thank you!! 👍 ☺
on 22 March 2017
This is a great series and I can only recommend it.
on 7 June 2017
I got this as a gift for my boyfriend who is a big Dexter fan. We both are, because its such an epic show!!! Beautiful way to display the complete seasons!
on 19 April 2017
Bought as a birthday present.
on 12 April 2017
Excellent series, it can be both serious and funny. A refreshing break from the normal types of C.S.I. series.
on 23 February 2015
I have just finished watching the complete series of Dexter and now I am having withdrawal. It is funny, sad and a great way to understand the mind of serial killers, well I think.

Well worth the money, it will keep you entertained for months.

Now to buy the books