on 3 December 2016
In short - cheap and cheerful. Nothing more, nothing less. I was unable to fit MX300 without opening USB PCB compartment. There is no way you can "slide" drive, as manufacturer suggests. I am not too bothered with speeds, as it's just for occasional use (keeping my OSes backups here). In my opinion it should cost under £10. Also, what is the reason to keep it so thick?

If it's just for a casual use, go for it. If it's going to be used more frequently, buy something better.

For curiosity, checked speed write speeds...

HDD - > SSD ~105MB/s, so obviously HDD is a bottle neck here.

SSD -> SSD ~200MB/s so well under USB3.0 capabilities
on 27 January 2016
Received product in good condition.The enclosure was to house a SANDISK SSD plus however when installed the drive does not sit flat and pressure needs to be applied to refit the cover I am unhappy with this item
on 8 July 2014
A lot like another reviewer, this is in no way optimised for SSD, I tried three SSD's from two different vendors, and none of them would read or recognise the drive.
However, this is the nicest and best made, most reliable caddy i've ever owned (for a spinning disk, obviously not for SSD). It's solid and chunky. The cable is solid and nice and thick. The interface is amazing and works 100% of the time with my car. It never crashes out or gets confused. EVER. This is well worth the money as a HDD caddy, pity it won't read my SSD. If they ever do a version of this that's optimised for non-ssd drives I will buy it. (the logic being it would then ONLY work on SSD ;-) .
on 23 July 2014
Brought this to house a 'dead' laptop hard drive. Took exactly 20 seconds to fit it and be ready to use it. Couldn't be more pleased. No fiddly little screws to loose, no cables to fight with, Just dead easy, just what I wanted, simple functionality. After all it's to house a hard drive, not to make a fashion statement,

The only little distraction is the bright blue activity light which flashes and blinks at a phenomenal rate when the drive is in use. A very small niggle really. A reformat and scan of the old drive has isolated the bad sectors on the drive and given me 280GB of external storage for the cost of this neat little enclosure. Highly recommended.
on 10 May 2015
I had a spare SSD lying around after performing an upgrade on my PC. So I thought I would create a fast, USB HD; which it did admirably. I have had no problem with computers and devices recognising it. However, when I tried installing 500MB drive it seems that not all the devices were capable of driving it without using a powered bus. The blue diode has stopped working but I am sure many would see that as an advantage if you are using it with a media player to watch movies in the dark. So no stars off for that.

As far as data transfer is concerned it will transfer data as fast the receiving device can take. I have transferred at 250MB/sec without a problem.
on 27 June 2014
I used this enclosure to clone a new solid state drive and then to reuse my old drive. it worked perfectly under USB 2 with a SATA 2.5" laptop drive. The on off switch is a neat addition and it truly is tool-less. If you are using the new 7mm thick drives there is a 2 mm foam spacer supplied to stick to the one already present to keep 9 mm drives snug.

I am keeping back a star because the plastic feels thin and cheap although it looks fine. I could also have benefited from a few rubber feet. All it has are protuberances molded into the casing that will trend to slip across a desk. If that's not a problem add a star for yourself.

Recommended.
on 15 January 2015
A lovely case that feels good in the hand and fitting my 2.5" HD was really easy. The power off switch is also a nice feature. I would have given 5 stars but I have a cuople of niggles.

1) No Carry case is supplied with it and every external case I have ever bought (Even cheapo £3 one's) have come with some sort of case.
2) The USB3 cable is quite short and this is not helped by..
3) The cable being quite rigid means it keeps trying too pull the drive off of any surface even slightly slippery or tries to lift the case up on its edge.

Easily remedied as I bough a longer USB3 cable :-) Well worth buying despite the niggles.
on 6 September 2016
This is a really neat piece of kit, which is very high quality and also looks extremely good. If you are going to dispose of a laptop but are in need of an external hard drive, you should get one of these Inateck 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosures and save yourself a lot of money. All you have to do is extract the old laptop's 2.5" hard drive (HDD or SSD), put it into the Inateck 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure, attach it to a computer of your choice and, after reformating or cleaning the drive, you will have a cheap but very reliable external hard drive. I have several of these Inateck Hard Drive Enclosures and would recommend them to everyone.
on 1 October 2014
Does exactly what it sais on the tin !
Light, strong, fast and easy to use. It can max out my usb3 connections, I got to try it out with my new 512GB Samsung 850 pro ; )
Also has an activity led and a handy on/off switch to save you having to physically unplug the device which is a nice addition. It comes with a good quality usb3 cable, a detail often neglected by other vendors, so I was very pleasently surprised... in this day and age when there is so much cheap tat on offer as quality. The fact the enclosure has a full sized usb port instead of a fiddly/delicate mini or micro slot makes it more rugged too. It even came a day early.
I bought my first SSD drive (HyperX 120GB) as backup storage for my Mac Mini. I decided on this enclosure after reading the reviews. Childs play to use. Slotted the drive into the enclosure and gave it a quick format. Worked straight away. If you are looking for a robust enclosure for a good price then this is the one to get.

The supplied standard USB3 cable is a bonus, and the on/off switch is actually very useful. I just undock it from my Mac when not in use and turn it off. BTW I don't think that I shall ever go back to standard external storage, as the SSD is blisteringly quick (4GB transfer in about 40 seconds).