Customer reviews

Black Wind Howlin'
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 13 December 2014
Not for the first time this year, I've made a fantastic music discovery via one of Amazon's recommendations; I knew I would be making a purchase as soon as I had finished listening to a couple of track samples. This album epitomizes catchy, tub thumping, dirty, `Deep South' guitar heavy southern blues. Sam Fish has an excellent, powerful rangy voice which easily switches between rock to soulful blues to a more mainstream ballad sound depending on the song. Cracking riffs abound. It is so difficult to pick out a favourite track for there is genuinely not a weak offering here. `Miles to Go' is particularly good, so is `Go to Hell' and `Lay it Down', is just superb in my view. I must also mention the nearly seven minute long title track `Black Wind Howlin', a rhythmic slow tempo grungy blues track with a couple of great guitar solos, which will have you running to your nearest air guitar shop for those of you who don't play the real thing. In terms of content and style, this album reminds me of elements of The Black Keys, ZZ Top, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Duffy, Alannah Myles and Sheryl Crow. If you like any of those artists, I'm pretty sure this album will appeal. It's certainly one of the best blues/rock albums that I've ever had the pleasure to listen to.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 April 2015
Samantha's second album release. Runaway was good for a debut and i feared this may not be as good somehow. I have been dissapointed before by "difficult" second albums but this is every bit as good if not better than the first one. This album is a good blues rock mixture. I won't go into detail as life is too short, but i will say this. If you like the more up to date take on the blues rock genre, then you will love this. I had it on repeat in the car for a week or more and didn't get tired of it. It's a loud guitar riff laden album. I love that myself. Catchy tunes with an old school vibe. Samantha is a hard working musician. Almost constantly touring North America and Europe, and recently New Zeland. I've seen her twice myself live and will be seeing her again as often as possible. Check her out on YouTube! That's where i discovered her. Sam's not just a pretty face. She deserves to be taken seriously. She can really lay it down.
One person found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 22 January 2018
Only just woken up to Samantha Fish, but must say great voice and great songs. Toying with Wild Heart , different producer to Mike Zito on this more rocking blues C/D but equally as good. Samantha can play that guitar with great vocals and a tight backing band. You cannot go wrong
on 25 July 2016
Found her on YouTube, as with so many others.

Album is excellent - also bought her other two but I have to say that her live performances are even better than the studio recordings - dirtier and more 'swampy' that I feel suits her material better, the studio recordings seem to have been somewhat sanitised.
Still an outstanding musician and great music.
on 1 May 2018
Great album from Samantha, makes sure she's up there with the other young Blues players. Most of which seem to come via Ruff Records or Blind Pig Records. Always worth checking their Catalogue
on 9 December 2013
Sam Fish has a nice playing technique and a good voice which makes this a pretty good CD to put on every now and then - as a first album, this shows distinct promise for the future and for Sam as a songwriter. Sam Fish plays gutsy blues, gentle to near thrash rock and a nice slide guitar, all of which bodes well and I look forward to her next offering.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 April 2017
This is a great album and Ms Fish in great rocking form. Even the Cajun influenced track, which is not typical of the rest of the album is excellent. The opening track ' Miles to Go' is a better.
on 29 March 2015
I got into Samantha Fish by accident, i always liked the modern blues but this album blew me away, from the first seconds of the opening song i was straight on amazon buying her other album Runaway...absolutely brilliant, really loving this modern female blues along with Joanne Shaw Taylor, Dana Fuchs, Ana Popovic....i am dying to see her live.
on 27 June 2014
1st time I have heard her music - I am very impressed - really enjoyed the cd.

A good combination of blues rock songs. Vocal & guitar work go well together.
This lady can sing with some very fine playing - the Miles to go track is a stand out track for both. The rest of cd does not disappoint either.
If you like blues rock this is a very good cd.
on 29 October 2013
This album is still better than her first solo, in my opinion, although both must belong to your "blues rock" collection. I really like her voice and the guitar playing is very impressive. SOngs are there too and she invited a few guest singers. If you are reading this, you know what to do: get it now, no risk involved - you will love it.
One person found this helpful