Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£10.80+ £1.26 shipping

on 12 November 2006
My husband brought this film home after I asked him to rent something Christmassy and I must admit I didn't think I was going to like it. Let's be fair - recent Ben Affleck movies haven't really made him an ambassador for a good film, even if he is good eye candy. But I was pleasantly surprised, this is a funny, feel good Christmas movie and Ben Affleck and James Gandolfini's contrasting characters bounce off one another with hilarity. Add a touch of romance between Affleck and the pretty Christina Applegate and you have a lovely movie that will make make you tingle with Christmas cheer.
on 27 December 2005
I watched this movie with no expectations, good or bad - I found it on the shelf at Blockbuster by chance and decided to give it a try. The plot is a simple one and Affleck pulls off a strong lead role (he is good at comedy), with other members of the cast also doing a good job. His annoying, excentric character plays particularly well off James Gandolfini's gruff family man.
It is a really fun movie to watch and posses that feel good factor that will get you through those holiday blues. I recommend this movie and give it a solid 4/5 for solid entertainment.
on 4 December 2005
Being a fan of sopranos and ben affleck it seemed too good to be true when i saw this film and i thought I have to watch it. This film has everything; emotion, romance and good old family comedy. James Gandolfini steals the show in every scene he is in. THIS IS A DEFINITE MUST SEE!!!!
on 20 December 2009
I saw the trailer for this movie a while back and I did not like the look of it at all, I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck, though I can see the appeal when the film is quite good.

I normally pick one film that is christmassy like this one... in the past I've gotten away with 'Deck the halls' which they didn't like and last years cinema film "four christmas's".
They like the latter more so this year I came across 'Surviving christmas', I was reluctant at first but I have tried to come at it from new eyes and I can actually say I liked it, Ben Affleck did a fine job, he may be a bit loud for me but I can forgive that when the rest of the cast also exceeded my expectation, Christina Applegate is also a favourite with me and my sister.

So this film in my view does not have the best storyline, some bits are a bit loud for my taste and over the top, but if at the end of all this you like a christmas movie that can actually make you feel happier at the end than when you started out then its doing something right, I hope the rest of my family agree with me.

merry christmas
on 11 November 2014
Being something of a big Christmas movie fan, I came to this with some trepidation after reading other reviews - but decided to give it a go with no prejudices and you know what, it's fun - it does what it is supposed to in a Christmas film, builds up tension and drama but then gives you a happy ending - perfect, and the cast are top notch.
on 31 December 2013
I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck but i think he is perfect to play the man that everyone wants to kill after a day !

It's fresh and fun, two thumbs for the roles of James Gandolfini and Christina Applegate (too bad that we don't see her more often in movies now)
on 14 August 2013
Late, great Tony Soprano in a well acted comedy roll. This film has some amusing moments and is well acted throughout. Although it is a `Christmas' film I never felt it to be very seasonally sentimental, so don't expect that Yule Tide glow inside. Well worth a watch.
on 23 April 2015
I got this movie based on the reviews of other buyers. I'm not an Affleck fan, but because people said he was funny and was a nice Christmas movie I got anyway. It's not funny and Affleck was annoying as hell, what a boring guy. I love Christmas movies, but this one turned me into the Grinch.
on 5 July 2011
This Xmas family comedy is a light, cheesy affair. Affleck is a lonely millionaire, who returns to his old family home. He pays a family to join then for Christmas. Mainly unfunny but a decent idea, a brilliant cast deliver a fun Yuletide movie.
on 19 February 2014
Anything with James Gandolfini in gets top marks from me, however this film is very good. I probably wouldn't have watched it if he wasn;t it in but I'm glad I did. RIP Jim