on 11 November 2013
I've had this laptop for a month now and so far I haven't had any problems with it. It works fast and well. Personally I don't use it for anything too heavy (mainly browsing and typing), although I have a tendency of having several things open at the same time.

The keyboard is slightly cramped due to the number pad, but I don't find it a problem (suppose it could be more of a problem for people with really big hands...)

The battery lasts a bit over 4 hours, which I find acceptable, but again I don't often take it anywhere where I can't plug it in. The machine itself is very quiet and it doesn't get very hot either (I usually have it on my lap).
The memory card reader has a really flimsy piece of plastic as a cover, which I almost lost when I had just taken the laptop out of the packaging. After inserting it in the slot properly it hasn't been falling out any more, though.
The CD-drive is also quite flimsy, but as it is inside the computer most of the time it's not really a problem. Personally I haven't needed to use it yet anyway. My biggest problem with it is the fact that I keep opening it accidentally when I grab the sides of the laptop to adjust it (so again, not a biggie).

The sound quality from the laptop's own speakers is not awesome, but do any laptops have a great sound quality... I always use headphones when listening to anything, so the quality of sound is guaranteed that way.
I really enjoy the multi-finger touchpad. It makes scrolling and zooming really easy. The scrolling works much better when using the multi-finger gesture than the side of the touchpad anyway.

All in all, I can say it's a great laptop at least for browsing and typing. I'm sure this laptop is powerful enough for heavier tasks as well, but I have yet to try anything more, because I do have a desktop for gaming purposes.
on 11 September 2013
--- Update 16/11/2013 ---
Since it's been about 3 months since I purchased this, I figured it would be a good idea to update this review.

I have found that overtime, the laptop plastic creaks a lot (mainly when resting my wrists/hands on the laptop). The battery lasts for about 4 hours, but when I reduce the brightness of the screen to 0, the battery tends to last for about 6 hours, which is really useful in lectures. I've also found that when the brightness is low, you tend to notice the screen is reflective a lot more, even when indoors. I personally don't notice the reflectiveness that much, but that might just be me.

The laptop is still pretty quick. The only problem (but I don't know if it's to do with this model, or if its common throughout other computers and laptops) is Microsoft Office 2013. I personally bought this thinking that there wouldn't be a problem with Office with the high spec of this laptop, but Office 2013 just keeps crashing, and is so sluggish at times, and I have no idea if this is an isolated issue or not. iTunes also seems to take a bit longer than other applications to load up, but again, I don't know if this is normal or not. Other than that, other applications work perfectly. I haven't encountered any more problems with Wi-Fi either.

The sound quality is ok, definitely not the best though... It's ok for watching videos, but it may be a good idea to use headphones or external speakers if you want to listen to music.

With the recent release of Windows 8.1 as well, you can now update the OS through the Windows Store. You don't need to do this, and if I'm honest, unless you use apps, or would prefer to see the Start button back, there really isn't any real reason to update.

Even with the little annoyances that I've come across, I still agree with what I have previously mentioned before. This laptop is still great when considering everything, and I would be more than happy to recommend this to anyone looking for a general laptop for everyday work/use.

--- Original ---

I purchased this product from another retailer instead of amazon around about 2 weeks ago, but the model is exactly the same (with exception to the HDD size). I kind of wish I bought it off amazon now though. It's cheaper, and has a bigger HDD...

Acer aren't exactly brilliant for their build quality, but this laptop doesn't seem to have any problems structure wise. Admittedly, the laptop plastic does look cheap, but it does feel pretty sturdy. And as simple as the laptop looks, it still looks pretty nice.

The laptop is really quick with opening or switching between apps, and I have yet to see the system crash or run slow. The system fully boots up in less than 10 seconds. Shockingly, the laptop comes with an Intel Core i7 Quad Core processor. You'd usually have to spend at least £600 just to get a laptop with any Core i7 processor in it. The 6GB RAM is also a generous amount considering the price. And the HDD is big enough to store work or some media (mine is smaller than the one advertised on amazon, so you'd be able to fit even more!). I've used Xbox Smartglass, GIMP, iTunes, Media Go and Spotify on mine, and they all run like normal.

The keyboard is also nice to type with. There isn't anything special about it, no raised keys. The keys are pretty close together, but are reasonably big, and once you get used to it, it's really nice and comfortable to use. There's also a full numerical keypad. The directional buttons are really small though, so you may end up hitting the wrong button if you want to scroll up a page.

The display is nice and bright. The resolution isn't fantastic compared to higher end laptops, and the graphics card is Intel HD 4000 (or something like that), but it's more than good enough for video streaming or work. While basic web gaming like Facebook will run like a dream on here, more power hungry games (e.g. Tomb Raider, Skyrim, FFXIV) may not look or run so great on here compared to higher end laptops.

The laptop also has the standard features, including Wi-Fi, 5-in-1 card reader, USB (2.0, not 3.0), HDMI output, CD/DVD drive and Webcam.

There are some issues however, which aren't are complete dealbreaker, but can still be a little irritating. For example, the CD/DVD drive isn't sturdy, and moves around a lot when it's out. It doesn't feel that solid or sturdy in comparison to other laptops. I've also encountered an occasional issue with Wi-Fi. For a few hours, the laptop was struggling to connect to the internet, and took a good few minutes to load a webpage up, but it looks like it was a one off issue. And lets not forget Windows 8... No matter what laptop you get, there's no escaping this, but I must say, after using this laptop for a while and using the touch gestures, it's actually a neat OS. It just requires some practise to get used to it.

I would highly recommend this laptop (especially for students), if it is being used as a work, home or possibly even a basic multimedia system, but if you want something for powerful gaming, then you may be better off investing in a more powerful or expensive machine.
66 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2013
good delivery time. Functions well, good screen resolution and fast response. So far so good, hopefully it will stay that way for a few years
on 22 January 2014
I'm not gonna wrte I long review but this aser is great, fast and responsive and with 1tb of hard drive plenty of storage space. The only down side is that it has macaffe on. The laptop feels well made and solid. A good buy I think 5 stars from me
on 20 November 2013
Purchased this for my Mother & Father it didn't take much setting up and they find it easy to use.

I might even consider buying one myself.
on 17 November 2013
Am not really good in writing reviews, but I have to write this one.
Awesome value for money laptop, great quality.
on 17 August 2014
I am 40 years old and the first computer I had, when I was 5 years old, was a Texas Instruments 994A. This Acer Aspire is the worst computer I have ever had. The processor is a joke and it is IMPOSSIBLE to do two things at once on this computer. Its 2014 and this is a computer fr the dark ages.
I sincerely regret my dumb purchase.
on 9 April 2015
I am on my 3rd Acer E1-522 in less than 8 months. This 3rd machine is really a 4th because the Acer technician has replaced the entire guts of the thing. It still has problems that make it horrendous to use, and all I want is a refund so I can buy a reliable computer.

However (and this is a massive warning) the "unhelp desk" in Manilla now wants me to send this machine to Sydney, effectively leaving me without a computer for my business.

So far Acer must have spent at least 4 times the value of the machine making me jump through hoop after hoop.

A complaint I put on the Acer Facebook page was promptly removed, and no response whatsoever.

This is a dishonest company who has no intention of providing quality or service to its customers. Am I angry? You betcha!
on 16 November 2013
Bought for my daughters dance school, initial review it is quick and easy to use, will get a better idea when all the music is loaded to see if it is as good as it seems.
on 4 October 2014
Just another Acer laptop. One of several Acer laptops I have had. They may not be the fastest around but they are reliable.