on 11 November 2013
Opened the box, plugged it in, and away it went, what you would expect from an Epson printer, got two of them now, one at home and one in the office.
on 21 April 2014
This is the worst printer I have ever owned (I have had 3 Canon and one HP printer all of which were comparable). A paper jam on first usage dislodged and damaged the flimsy foam paper guides. Whose idea was it to make paper guides less durable than paper?
The printer usually fails to register when a cartridge is replaced. It just took me an hour of switching on and off, etc to get it to recognise a single new cartridge.
The cartridge replacement process is overly complex, the cartridges difficult to get in and out.
The ink is extremely expensive, about half the cost of the printer at full price.
Highly not recommended!
on 19 December 2013
This printer was to replace my 10 year old printer to match the print quality and speed provide of my old printer and additionally provide me a WiFi connection and a scanner.

I also hoped to have a pleasurable trip down memory lane. Many years ago now I had sterling service from Epson dot matrix printers churning through piles of tractor feed paper at what seemed then like an amazing speed. They sounded like demented bees for sure with those metal pins hitting a carbon tape at presumably the speed of a bees wings but that's dot matrix printing!

So out of the box, connect to my PC (Windows XP) with a USB cable and the installation went fine. Sure Epson don't provide a USB cable but I've accumulated several over the years.

And so to print. Disappointment! The colour print quality isn't as good as my old printer [which was by no means "top of the range"]. Went through the maintenance routines of checking the nozzles and alignment and cleaning the heads to no avail. Speed? Well to actually print a typical page I had an improvement over my 10 year old veteran but the whirring and clattering time before it actually got round to printing seemed interminable. So I took it back to the shop.

I provide some detail of my experience because I believe the shop was following the terms of their agreement with Epson on returned goods:-

"Ah - have you opened the print cartridges sir?"
"Well yes: how would I know about the print quality otherwise?"
"Because you've opened the cartridges there's nothing we can do sir."
I persisted and so the customers services man decided that he would "do a copy" of something to at least have a look at the print quality. I hadn't tried that. Out came a copy - in monochrome yellow - not in the least like the original.
"Ah you have emptied the print cartridges sir"
"No I haven't"
"Yes you have"
[several times]
"Ah well sir you'll have to buy a new set of cartridges for us to test. [that'll be £24.99]"
"No I won't"
[several times]
Customers services realised that they had another Epson in a cupboard behind the counter - that makes two returned Epsons today. - so they tried cartridges from that one. Press "copy" out comes the monochrome yellow copy again.
So they agree to refund me for the printer.

So just one star for the Epson Expression Home XP-212

I had a discussion with Epson about my problems. Their chat line support is free and they provide you with a typescript of it by email straight afterwards - very good. Its main problem is that it's office hours only so if you work that could be a bit of a problem.

The Epson XP605 Expression Premium with 5 print cartridges and their new Claria Premium Ink will they assure me provide a better print quality. I bought one just over a month ago- it's a disaster. It's back at the shop.

THAT'S THE THIRD FAILED EPSON - for more look at my review of it which I've also added to the XP-610 because this has now replaced the XP 605.
on 2 May 2014
it's stopped working after just a few months. it no longer recognises that the cartridges are in properly. it is really annoying and is just sat in the corner now. i expect ill just throw it away when i prepare the study for painting. very disappointed and Epson are useless.
on 5 May 2014
This is a 'tinny' printer, not really up to private use even. It feels fragile, takes ages to print, won't take compatible cartridges - printer refuses to print and you cannot bypass it. (Ok, I know you're not supposed to use them, but have never had problems with them with other makes in 20 years) .
Very unimpressed with it. An expensive mistake for me, but I won't buy an epson again.
on 4 January 2014
Got this because my HP printer stopped working AGAIN! I bought an Epson scanner a while ago on Amazon and the quality of the build, packaging, posting and the scanning are all FAB.
Epson is well worth its money, I will not go back to HP for owt, eva agen!!!!!!!
on 7 December 2013
Printer arrived and I was a little sceptical having read reviews that It was difficult to set up printing via wi-fi with a mac.
How wrong was I... I'm not so good with all this stuff, so I handed the reins over to my 16yr old son. I'd explained about the problems some people had had setting it up and mentioned he should use the software on the disc.
He made sure he pressed the WPS button on the router (wi-fi protection) this enabled the mac to find the printer. No discs/leads required and off it went. Couldn't have been more simple.
Also downloaded the app for the iphones and off it went again. Great printer, purchased in the Black Friday deal at a reduced price. Couldn't be happier! Took less than 5 minutes to have it all ip and running. It was no different to set up for a mac than it was for my sons windows laptop.
Haven't printed off much yet, the quality of the print looks good, although it isn't the fastest in the world. Suits us for home needs perfectly.
Also nice that you can buy 'cheap' good quality ink for this printer. It should be very economical to run. It's not a bad size and i'm very happy indeed.
on 12 April 2014
It was fine when I first got it but after a few weeks it's suddenly not accepting card stock. Since I bought it for card making, it's currently useless to me. Quite gutted to be honest.
on 27 November 2013
This is my first printer to have wifi connection, and I'm very pleased with it. I can print what i need from my laptop or smartphone from downstairs, and have the printer upstairs away from the kids little hands.
Very fast printing, and good use of ink levels.
It does take a while to set up the wifi connection, as there isnt very clear instructions in the box, i had to google it.
on 17 May 2014
only got mine up & running yesterday. what a lovely printer. great colours and crystal clear writing.
ok, it's a bit plastic in places but it works fine. ideal for all home use. great value for around £50.
the set up is easy. .until I got to the loading paper bit, there is a sliding mechanism inside the printer which has to be pulled over to the left hand side to guide the paper when printing. this took me a while to sort out, but apart from that it was quite easy to set up.
only printed off my pc so far, but it was so easy.. just find your photo or whatever on your pc, right click on mouse.. it says print..left click and away the printer goes all by itself.. magic.
not the quickest at printing, but who cares, it works wonderfully.
I got a 1.8 metre usb cable to attatch to my pc which was simple but you can go down the Wi-Fi route too.
I cant write enough good things about this printer.
I've also bought extra refill inks which were VERY cheap, as I'm sure the ones that came with the printer won't last forever.
how long will it last? who knows. but for now it's just brilliant.
for anyone who wants a printer for home use..GO OUT & BUY THIS PRINTER.
1 month in, had to change one colour ink. printer doesn't want to accept it. can't use the printer in b&w mode either, so very disappointed. what should be a simple job has now become a nightmare.
my options, send printer to be looked at/repaired, nearest Epson repair centre is 40 miles away, or drive there with it.
cost of postage there & back, around £40, so not an option, as I could almost buy a new printer for that money.
so, an 80 mile round trip with a possible hours wait before anyone even looks at it.
needless to say, I am now VERY UNHAPPY about the whole situation.