on 24 January 2015
First the bad, this CD Player can be more fussy than average about playing CDs. If your CD is marked or scratched, this player may reject it, where other CD players will play without problem. However, this only affects the occasional disk, and a good clean of the CD normally sorts this out. Perhaps reduced error correction is the price to pay for the superb audio performance of this player.

However its fussiness with a less than prestine CD, is far offset by the overall quality of this player. Being interested in HiFi for 40 years, have over these years made many upgrades. Most offer a slight improvement, occasionally you buy a component that absolutely transforms your listening experience. This is such a component.

The build quality and look is first class. However, it is the sound quality where the CD6005 really shines. Most modern CD players can capture the full frequency range from deepest low to high treble, it is the detail that makes the difference. Every CD I've tried on this player (and at the moment can't stop re-visiting my CD collection) reveals incredible detail such as instruments never realised were on the disk. What is impressive is that you can still hear a minor instrumental, say during an orchestral crescendo. The overall stereo image is spacious, phasing perfect, and the quality of sound for all types of music is sublime. The player is fine with MP3s etc., these are as good as I've ever heard them, but CDs produce the real quality sound. The dedicated headphone socket, with volume quality also offers an output purer than those normally found on amplifiers. This player is great at all types of music, the overall sound is incredibly detailed and musical - not clinical like some CD players.

If I had paid a £1000 pounds for this player, this would be fair value for what I consider is superb High Fidelity product. At around £249, this to my mind is the HiFi bargain of the century. Thoroughly Recommended.
50 people found this helpful
on 17 July 2015
The CD player fits perfectly in look and sound with my merantz pm6005.

The player looks nice with the large display that can show a lot of different details such as album name, song name, artist name, remainder of the track, how much of the track Has been played ect. The buttons are not to large to look out of place and the USB port in positions nicely. The player looks fantastic.

The sound from the player is perfect and is a joy to hear,

Now to my problem. Having loved the player for 7 months I had the problem of the disk tray not opening. The tray will not open atall and I couldn't get the cd out or anything. Am in the process of returning.
Amazon have been brillian so far as long as I can get the replacement CD that is stuck in the player sorted out.

The player is good but I feel I may have had a duff one.
7 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 20 March 2016
A couple of people on here seem to have had some bad luck with this unit - not playing CDs etc. So when it got delivered I was hoping that didn't happen to me. I had no issues at all.

This was to be a replacement for my NAD c541, a "Best Buy" in its time. After 16 years it was still OK but I felt something was missing. I bought thie Marantz purely on the recomendation of the reviews I have read.

It took all of 5 mins before it was up and running. It was apparent withing minutes that I'd done well buying this. Everything was much more spacious and open and cystal clear. Bass was deeper and tighter and cymbals were sweet as hell.

I am not talking a slight change here - it is an awesome change. I can hear things I couldn't hear before - things that were "in there somewhere"
were now clear - amazingly so. The soundstage improved too. The dynamics improved dramatically - crescendos really jump out and hit you, but not harshly.

Whatever I play it just handles confidently, like it's just all wonderfully under control.

I am a bit old school - no point in having a great amp and speakers if what you feed into them is no good. For a reasonable price you can really breathe a gust of fresh air into your system. I am playing everything I own again.

Can you tell I am pleased? Amazing kit and, considering the price, thoroughly recommended!
on 15 January 2016
When I was younger, I bought and collected cds endlessly, to the point where I amassed thousands of them. Despite this, I have never actually anything anything even resembling a premium cd player. I have been wanting to add this cd player to my set up (marantz pm6005 and dali zensor 3 speakers) for a long time now. I received an amazon voucher as a gift so I thought why not? The package arrived and I could not be more excited to get it all set up and start playing my first cd. The closest CD to hand was "Above" by Mad Season which is not a bad choice to get things up and running.

Unfortunately, I had received a faulty unit and it couldn't read any discs. Absolute bummer. Thanksfully, Amazon returns are very efficient indeed and so a new player turned up this week. Thankfully, it works as intended and I feel I finally have a player that is capable to squeeze maximum enjoyment out of my mammoth cd collection. There's not a huge amount of options to play with but it does a great job at its main job - producing excellent results from cds. I can't wait to dig out my favourites and give them a new lease of life.

On top of the actual cd playing, I'm really impressed with the usb input which allows me to take advantage of the excellent DAC to enchance my mp3 experience via my iphone. A very nice touch is the ability to control and scroll through the iphones library using the supplied remote control (which also pairs with the matching pm6005 amp, so less remote control clutter). One final bonus is listening through headphones - I had an absolute blast listening to cd and mp3 with my Sennheiser PXC450 headphones. Very nice and detailed - I think I will invest in an extension cable as the sennheiser cable is quite short.

Anyway - although my initial impression was soiled by the dud unit, I am very happy with my fully functioning replacement. It is exacly what I was looking for and pairs perfectly with my setup.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 January 2017
I bought this two years ago (December 2015). In October 2016, the CD drawer wouldn't open. (If you read other comments, you'll find this is a common complaint.) There is no factory reset combination, but after trying every button combination possible I managed to get it to work. In January, it failed again. Nothing I could do worked. It was still under guarantee, so I sent it back to the retailer. They sent it off to be fixed. It came back ten days later, worked for three days, then once again wouldn't open. I've thrown it away. Do not buy this model - it seems to be a fault common enough to make you wonder what the hell Marantz thinks it's doing. Shockingly bad quality control. I won't ever buy Marantz stuff again.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 21 August 2016
It's been a couple of years since I've owned a dedicated CD player having relied on ripped CD's via Bluetooth to the amplifier or using a quality BlueRay player. However, having heard CD's recent though a decent CD player Amp system the sound was just so much better, result after research the order for the Marantz. Having set the system up I tried one of my most recent favourite Ruth Moody CD's and the sound literally was incredible. The was a great sound scene and detail I'd not heard before. The option to turn off some of the visual electronic display does appear to improve the sound quality, maybe expectation rather than reality but I use it with the tack info turned off.
Good connections and nice layout.
on 10 December 2014
Very good player, frequency range is seamlessly knitted together. Marantiz have won best cd player up to £500 in the what hi fi awards for something like 5 Years now.
Your compact disc's deserve this player.
7 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2016
The performance of thisplayer is far better than the price would suggest. it sounds as good as players costing twice the price believe me. I paired this with the matching amp bought a month before and thought it would force me to upgrade my 13 year old mission floorstander but no they sound better than ever so they can stay for a while longer. With is ability to play Mp3 and Wav files etc coupled with CD text all the bases are covered Marantz winner thats for sure.
One person found this helpful
on 4 September 2015
Not stated clearly in the blurb but this CD player contains an inbuilt amp for use with headphones(separate amp can stay switched off) Very handy for quiet listening. Using a separate amp the sound quality is very good. The CD6005 is easy to operate and if you use a Marantz amp separate there is a bonus in the amount of control you have from the remote. Overall an excellent player and have no hesitation recommending it to those who appreciate good quality sound.
One person found this helpful
on 20 September 2017
Great CD player - very clear sound. 1 star off because it can be a bit fussy. Certain lightly scratched CDs that play fine on our 20-year old portable Sony won't play on this.