Customer reviews

The Great Beauty [DVD] [2013]
Format: DVD|Change

on 14 July 2014
A very funny and highly intelligent film about misanthropy, art and the decadence of the seriously bored rich. Loved it.
on 2 May 2017
Arty and beautifully shot but about three quarters of the way through I finally realised I could pack it in and watch something more engaging! Tedious characters, no real plot.
on 8 April 2015
This film was shown at our local film club and I missed it. So I ordered the DVD. Then I found that it had strongly divided opinion amongst those who went!
I have watched about third of the film and am struggling to want to watch more. That's all I'll say as it would be very unfair to judge a film in this way. The next two thirds may be what makes it a great film.
on 27 April 2017
DVD defective - wont play beyond title page. Bought as gift in March, given 25/4/17 so now "beyond return date". So frustrating!
on 31 July 2016
The first time I attempted to watch this film I turned it off after 20 mins, thinking it pretentious drivel. Having more recently seen by the same director 'Youth', which impressed, and 'This is the Place to Be', I thought I'd give it another go - but I had it right first time!
Long, formless, tedious, it looks like a 'classy' ad for Rome. And it is maybe tourist nostalgia which has turned the heads of Anglo-American 'critics', though not the Italians who gave it a cool reception. Comparing this film to works set in Rome by Fellini and Rossolini, as many have, is absurd, they are in a compleatly different league.
So save yourself the time and give this one a miss.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2013
Totally disagree with the previous review. thought the movie was incredibly engrossing and enjoyed every minute of the 2hr30min duration. For starters, it's a feast for the eyes. Rome itself and the way it is portrayed through the director's beautiful camera work would be enough of a spectacle even without the otherwise beautiful thought-provoking lines the film is punctuated with. I must disagree about the presumed missing depiction of the beauty of ordinary peoples' lives too. In fact it is admirably represented by the likes of Ramona who is a genuine woman devoid of all pretension and yet capable of deep thoughts, such as when she says to a jaded Jep after a night spent together: 'It was great not having sex, it's great being fond of one another', leaving him stunned. Other 'ordinary' people who are juxtaposed to the vacuous partying multitude are Jep's friend, the playwright, who eventually decides to leave that empty world behind and go back to his home village. The theme of going back to one's roots being elegantly represented with a food metaphor through the words of yet another ordinary-extraordinary person who couldn't be further away from the Roman jet set, the saint-nun, who claims she only eats 40 grams of roots a day, because 'roots are important'. I could go on and on, because I was totally mesmerized by this movie, not to mention its soundtrack. I derived absolute pleasure from watching the movie til the end of the credits. Hopefully you will be too.
33 Comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2016
Beautiful. Loved this film from beginning to end. I only rented it ~ but I've purchased it now! Will be watching his latest with Michael Cane & Rachel Weiz later. A mater of the human condition & the art of stunning, breathtaking cinematography - watch this movie it's superb!
on 23 September 2016
To those people who dismiss it as pretentious, privileged, superficial, all I say is, please do give it another go.

Every Amazon reviewer (and the vast majority are laudatory) takes a different perspective on what the actual meaning of this superb film might be.

That is surely one benchmark of a genuine artistic masterpiece.

On that basis, I'm not going to add another, because mine would be neither more nor less valid than anyone else's considered viewpoint .... except that I hope my rating leaves no doubt as to how highly I regard it.
on 28 August 2014
Intense, ironically beautiful and at times almost surreal, this is essentially a stunning and profound treatise, expounded with few words and a skeletal, almost non-existent plot, on the limitations of beauty and the elusiveness of happiness in the face of mortality, impermanence and, ultimately, death. Its cascade of startling imagery and quick-fire dialogue, when indeed there is dialogue at all, belies the slow pace of its unfolding theme and meaning; as such, it is perhaps a little over-long and is thus not a film for those of an impatient disposition or short attention span. It is, nonetheless, an amazing achievement, aesthetically, stylistically, technically and philosophically, leavened by laugh-out-loud moments prompted by its sparse but sharp script and an often sudden, powerful and surprising juxtaposition of images. Despite its flaws (and isn't all beauty, after all, ultimately flawed?), I strongly recommend this film to anyone with any kind of enduring interest in cinema and/or the deeper questions of our frail existence.
on 6 September 2014
What a mess of a film. Storyline is all over the place. Has many actors and actresses that are past it in italy. Blu ray quality not the best. Lots of grain and noise in the picture. Also a lot of the translation is out. Do yourself a favour buy yourself an old italian classic instead such as bicycle thieves or cinema paradiso..