on 15 September 2013
I have just bought this easy to assemble model kit together with the Spitfire antagonist for my seven year old son. Both models were shipped in record time by Amazon and my boy managed to assemble the plane within a quarter of an hour without any difficulties. The parts match together well and the decals are easily attached. Together with his younger brother my son is now able to re-enact the Battle of Britain in our living room. All in all the Lego inspired system is a pleasant new addition to the classic back catalogue that is currently reissued by Airfix. Compared to the famous Danish company Airfix doesn't offer any working features apart from the propellor - no opening canopy, no working landing gear, which costs the product one star in my rating. Another troublespot are the decals: once the model is crashed, the stickers will get lost pretty soon. It would have been a better decision to print the decals on the plastic parts (which is by the way, also the impression that you get when looking at the backside of the box). For me as a grown up who used to play with Airfix and Lego in his childhood alike, I'd be more than happy about a bigger scale model in the Quick Build range. How about developing a 1/24 Me 109 for this series?
55 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2014
Airfix's Quick Build range is a bit like a cross between a traditional Airfix model and a Lego kit. Actually, it's more Lego than Airfix to be honest and when Lego's patent ran out recently, Airfix clearly saw an opportunity for a construction kit for younger, budding model builders.

So, this is something that falls somewhere between a real model and a toy. Whereas a "proper" Airfix Messerschmitt 109 will require glue, paint, a fair bit of time and a little skill, the "Quick Build" line is constructed very much along the line of Lego and simply clips together in a few minutes to produce something that looks a little (well, more than a little - I'm being uncharitable) like a Bf109.

You get about 35 parts, some stickers and a nicely visual instruction sheet and a stand.

For those who are interested, the finished plane is about 25cm across the wings, making this model roughly 1/40 scale.

As far as the "lego-ness" is concerned, it's not quite as high quality as the real branded stuff, and the fit is just a little sloppy in places. Nothing to write to your MP about, but not excellent.

I do rather like this kit. I bought it for a slightly whimsical desk ornament at work and it fits that bill perfectly. I shall certainly buy the Airfix Quick Build Spitfire to go alongside this chappy.
on 20 July 2014
Really nice little model. The shape and profile look absolutely right and whilst it is never going to be as accurate as a 'proper' model kit it is highly satisfactory; good size too. Only two little niggles, firstly, the position of the stand has to be fiddled with to accommodate the drop tank (mine is now on sideways, the stand not the drop tank!) and Airfix's decision to delete the swastikas from the fin. I realise they aren't alone in this decision and I fully understand why it's been done but it does somehow leave the model looking 'unfinished'. Like I said, minor niggles and overall highly recommended.
on 1 August 2015
Being someone who likes fighter aircraft, was curious about these airfix quick builds so i purchased an F22 Raptor just as a one off, it arrived the following day and i was surprised that i was looking at LEGO pieces of sorts anyway i assembled the parts and was very impressed with result, it even came with a stand so it makes a great desk top decoration. Some may say its just a toy but only if you play with it, gotta be honest i purchased The Typhoon aka The Eurofighter, The Spitfire and above Messerschmitt all very well made and solid, i gone on to pre order the Mustang P51d.
If they could improve anything i'd love to see them bring out the following, F16 Eagle F18 Superhornet F35lightningII MIG29 PAK Sukhoi T50
For kids and Aircraft admirers.
on 26 May 2014
Out of curiosity I bought this kit about a month ago. Once put together it looks quite effective; particularly from a distance. It is surprisingly big; I'd guess the scale as 1:48 or maybe bigger.

It would never belong in an adults collection but would be very good for young children to collect and play with.

It took me about an hour to put together as my eyesight isn't as good as it once was and even with my close up glasses I struggled to see where some of the smaller pieces went.

Once the number and cross transfers are stuck on there is no taking the model back to pieces again.

Not at all bad for the price.
on 23 January 2015
This is a very good model and although it sometimes needs to have a panel tweeked into place looks very lifelike. Along with the Spitfire we had many a dogfight between my grandchildren at Christmas and they were much impressed by the easy build and realistic looks of the model.
on 25 October 2014
Great little kit which our 5 year enjoyed building. We got it as he loves lego but thought it would be something a bit different. It does however not take to well to being flown around the room and could probably due with a spot or two of glue to hold it in place
on 9 January 2014
I got this for my grandsons but made it myself due to curiosity, It is really like bespoke Lego as it fits together just like Lego. It is easy and the end items looks good. More for younger kids I think having made a few of the old style Airfix but certainly good for beginners of a young age.
on 2 January 2014
The Airfix Quickbuild range is a great idea allowing younger children to quickly make up models of planes without the need for glue/time/patience. Using the familiar Lego style method of joining the parts gives an end product to play with very quickly and using the camouflage to hide join lines is clever.

My youngest son got the Messerschmitt 109 and the Spitfire for Christmas and whilst the latter is generally good all round, in my mind the 109 suffers from a few flaws. Firstly, as with the Spitfire, the propeller comes off far too easy so be prepared for regular reattachment and as others have commented it is a shame the markings are not printed on as would appear to be the case on the packaging. Having stickers over join lines is a bit limiting. However, my main bugbear is that the wingtips (particularly the port one) come off way to easy which leads to other parts of the wing falling off as well. I'm not sure what the Airfix consumer testing is during development but it could do with being a bit more robust!!!

Having said that I'll be interested to see what else Airfix come up with in this range (a Lancaster? :) ).
on 6 February 2016
Nice snap together model. The only problem is the peg for the stand is too close to the attachment for the bomb, so the bomb has to be taken off if the plane is put on the stand. This design error is a real head scratcher. The pieces on the wing fall off at the slightest provocation.

See one answered question