on 1 July 2014
It's not bad, per se. I've started reading worse short stories (but generally left them unfinished). But I think the Mongoliad/Foreworld project is suffering terribly in quality as it grows in quantity. These "side quests" are a case in point. The brilliant, nuanced writing of the Mongoliad series has, here, degenerated into hack-work cliche. On a personal note - though some of you may like this - the series is getting far too sword-and-sorcery for my tastes. I far preferred the more subtle otherworldiness of the early Mongoliad, to the outright magic of the side quests.
On a more objective style note, it's all becoming action-writing by numbers of the sort you don't really want to see Neal Stephenson associated with. The writers spell everything out, the classic show-don't-tell error of storytelling leaving no room for the reader's own wit or imagination.
It's the little things. Opening this story at random "Again, Tyr felt his respect for his apprentice growing." Why would we need to be told Tyr's respect is growing? Either we recognise his apprentice has said/done something clever on our own or Tyr's on response should demonstrate it. In this story, we get to hear Tyr's thought process and then his actual words "Even so, Tyr replied"!
Thanks Foreworld team. I needed that extra help. For some reason, I think fond memories of the Mongoliad, I've persisted with this series. But the latest one I downloaded, Blood and Ashes, was so bad i couldn't even finish it.
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2014
I love a classic fantasy tale so this tale by Mike and Linda, hit all the right buttons for me as they brought life to a tale of Nordic proportions. The prose was sharp, the characters fun to spend time around and whilst I saw what was coming quite early on, I still had a lot of fun as the tale wound its merry way through my imagination. All round a cracking little tale and one that I think a fair few others should try to get a flavour of whats to come in their longer stories. Great stuff.
on 12 March 2014
A Norse folk tale with breathtaking action and a satisfying conclusion. Leads the reader to want more of the same.
on 18 February 2015
Amazing ... Great intertwining Norse legends and the crusaders ... It's how it all began
on 4 June 2015
I found it to be an acceptable read; not overlong ad slightly disappointing.
on 29 June 2015
Brilliant, like all in the series!