on 2 April 2016
I purchased this book because I am interested in the French Foreign Legion. Only 5 chapters cover his time as a Legionnaire, including a chapter each on a tour in Cambodia and 2 tours of Bosnia. A few chapters cover his time trying to start a business in Ireland. Several chapters then cover his time as a PMC in Iraq including covering the ambush he was caught in leaving many of his colleagues dead. There is also a chapter covering some time he spent as bodyguard in Haiti, which I would have like to know a bit more about. Although I found Padraig's story interesting I felt I didn't really get a insight into the FFL life. But hats off to him for doing something that most people only dream about.
on 22 May 2014
O'Keeffe and his ghost writer have done a great job of bringing his experiences in the French Foreign Legion and as a contractor in Iraq, and his troubles while in less stimulating environments, to vivid and immediate life. My only real criticism is that there is a literary device whereby you're left on a cliff hanger at the very beginning of the book and the resolution doesn't come until close to the end - I had to read back to pick up the thread.
on 26 September 2014
While the first part of the book deals with Padraig before he joined the legion and his initial recruit training. He has given no insight into the vigorous training required to be a fully fledged member of the French Foreign Legion.
The second part of the book is about his time working as a security person around the world. In other words he sold his gun to the highest bidder. Graphic and a good read but it is all me me me.
Certainly for light reading it is worth the money. I enjoyed it.
on 26 June 2017
Readable & reasonably enjoyable, but not anywhere near as good as "Legionaire" by Simon Murray. But "Legionaire" is possibly THE definitive book about the FFL.
on 14 December 2016
Well written, good pace and doesn't drag everything out to fill the pages. In fact, it could easily be more than one book. Lots of feeling from the author. Recommend this book.
on 30 June 2017
This is a great insight to the legion. It also tackles what life is like once the soldier leaves the foreign legion, through the bad times and good. This is a truly honest and brutal story.
A must read for all who enjoy military history.
on 22 December 2014
To be able to go through a life like Padraig has and to be able to be so graphic in writing about it is truly amazing. It is one of the best written books I have read and there where times when I found it difficult to put down. I would really love to meet him if only to shake his hand.
on 26 December 2013
Do not buy this book if all you want to read about is the Legion. Do buy this book however, it is a great read it is more than about the Legion, it is a great autobiography about the life of an Irishman who was determined to become a soldier even after the Irish Army turned him down. In my eyes they were worse off and he was better off for this. Padraig O'Keeffe does not glorify death or war but sees it as a consequence of his work.

Great book
on 8 December 2008
This is a very interesting book. In fact this is rather a collection of stories and things that happened to the author. Amazingly - all he does is unfinished., but put it all together and it makes sense and first of all brings you a great book.

Recommended - good for anyone. I was unable to put it down.
on 24 May 2014
I quite enjoyed the book but felt it glossed over a few things. the only character that I felt I got to know was the author. The other characters were all 'great guys' but that was about it. the description of life in the FFL was illuminating.