on 18 October 2013
I don't normally read this type of book but fancied something a little different. And... I really enjoyed it. I was immediately drawn by the insipiring documentation (ghost writer) of an interesting and challenging life which as a reader with little to no knowledge of a professinal soldier's life I was able to follow with ease and get stuck right into.

Well paced, griping and educational too.
on 13 June 2014
One of the best books I have had the pleasure of reading for a long time. I found it to be well written and down to earth. It's good that Padraig has been able to tell his story without glorifying war whilst telling it like it is. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read a book that will keep you interested from start to finish.
on 22 December 2014
To be able to go through a life like Padraig has and to be able to be so graphic in writing about it is truly amazing. It is one of the best written books I have read and there where times when I found it difficult to put down. I would really love to meet him if only to shake his hand.
on 9 October 2014
Excellent story of one man's commitment to do something he
Dreamed of doing I.e.becoming a soldier and about his instincts of how to survive in difficult situations.great insight and history details about the French foreign legion and the company you make friends with.
Bert/Aberdeen
on 24 May 2014
I quite enjoyed the book but felt it glossed over a few things. the only character that I felt I got to know was the author. The other characters were all 'great guys' but that was about it. the description of life in the FFL was illuminating.
on 28 April 2014
Padraig takes you on an incredible journey, the harsh realities of soldering and the being a Legionnaire, to the horrors of the Balkans, and then Iraq. His problems settling back in civvy street. I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
on 5 December 2014
I loved this book and Padraig's style of writing. The story's of the Legion and of camaraderie, the nail biting ride through Iraq. I hope we see another offering from Padraig in the future - either based on fact or fiction!
on 25 August 2014
Author reluctant to accept that he was in Iraq for the money - he was a gun for hire, there is only one word to describe that - mercenary!
I have no problem with that concept - just wish author would be honest.
on 10 November 2013
A new insight into the French Foreign Legion as it adapts to the 21st century and the life of working as a LAP in the pits of the world a very interesting quote of what legislatures do when they leave last legion.
on 26 July 2014
Very good to get the contractors perspective for once. Interesting his reasons for leaving the legion as well- I wonder how many others have done the same across Western armies for similar reasons.