Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

PagePlus X7 (PC)
Platform: PC|Change
Price:£81.69

on 5 June 2014
I had never produced a publication before so was pleased to be able to provide our art club with an acceptable newsletter containing photographs and headed with the club logo in colour. A black and white version was sent to the local printers for general distribution and a colour copy to send to members via e-mail. Quite easy to use even for a 70+ like me.
on 29 September 2013
I've been looking for a good Desktop Publishing program for quite some time. I did consider Microsoft Publisher but was put off by the price. I also had a good read of the reviews for this product and realised that its just as powerful (if not more so) than the Microsoft version but available for a fraction of the price. I ordered this from Amazon and got it for £44.99 which is £48.73 cheaper than Publisher 2013 and a whopping £85 cheaper than the older Publisher 2010 which is still available from Amazon. I do however have two problems with Serif's product though. Firstly it would have been nice if there were a proper user manual included instead of a 14 page quick start guide although this guide will have you producing great publications in no time at all. A PDF version of the manual is available to download but I think a hard copy would have been better. The second problem is a lot more serious and it concerns the Serif's after sales team. Once you register they just wont leave you alone and are always on the phone wanting you to either upgrade or try other products. My advice would be if you register this great product than use a fake phone number if you dont want hassled non-stop by calls from these guys. Definitely a 5 star product though.
33 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2014
On taking over from the editor of a small, local magazine, one of my first tasks was to visit the print shop and talk to them about the format in which they wanted it delivered for printing. I quickly discovered that the software (Publisher) which my predecessor had been using had been causing them endless problems for years, mainly because of issues to do with missing fonts and Publisher's inability to output documents in the industry's preferred format, PDF X-1A. It was clear that a change of software was needed, but I didn't have much time to learn a complicated new system, funds were limited and my first deadline was approaching.

Serif PagePlus X7 has been the answer. Its key feature, for me, is that it can output copy in PDF X-1A very easily without my having to buy Adobe's very expensive Acrobat Professional. It is very intuitive: I taught myself how to use it in a day. And the more I have used it, the more impressed I have been with its range of features. There is nothing which I, as a non-professional editor, would want to be able to do that the software can't handle, and now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's a real pleasure to use. It gives me much more control over text and images than Publisher did and I've learned a lot about how to lay out a publication by following its help files. I can output the magazine to a PDF file and send it off for printing without worrying about whether the print shop has all of the 12 fonts I want to use installed on its system: fonts are embedded in X-1A files by default. It also offers some features I am looking forward to trying, including e-book publication, which opens up the possibility of publishing online.

Most importantly, it's reasonably priced, particularly since Adobe's professional alternatives can now only be rented online rather than bought outright. In short, I'm very impressed.
on 9 October 2013
I've been using Serif products for many years now and decided to upgrade from pageplus x6 to this latest version x7 to take advantage of the new 64bit engine as I've just upgraded my PC.

All tasks are now much smoother and faster than the previous edition, the software also seems very stable.

I especially like the new ebook feature additions, with all popular file formats now recognised.

Overall a great product.
on 28 October 2013
This is easy to use and a lot of DTP software for the money. Although I am a beginner I managed to produce some reasonable quality flyers and I have so much more to learn about this product. Lots of reasonably priced add ons are available should you want/need them. Also lots of tutorials and online help available.
Serif have impressed me with this offering. Would appeal to SME and keen amateur users I would say.
on 4 October 2014
This DTP program does everything except the washing-up. There is great praise for it in the media - but I find it a bit overwhelming, not nearly as easy to navigate as MS Publisher (I am still using my beloved Publisher 2003 with straight-forward conventional menus; I loathe the 2010 version with the detestable, messy ribbon.) So PagePlus has had very little use, and won't until I can get my head round it.
on 14 September 2013
Fantastic software. In my opinion it's not as good as Quark and photoshop but far, far better than Publisher. Excellent value for money. Have already recommended.
on 12 February 2014
It took me longer to learn than expected.

I have only used it for a book, 540 pages long, not yet for posters and all the amazing range of stuff possible with it so can't comment on that. I got some things wrong early on which repercussed later, but they sorted them quickly. I like it the more i use it.

There are some quirks which you just have to learn, but much less hassle than Quark and other big competitors, I'm told.

They upgrade it regularly in response to feedback.

Were I re-commencing, I would still buy it, but I would set my initial templates up as per their instructions and manuals instead of what I did!
on 17 December 2014
Unfortunately this software would not install on my Windows 8.1 computer. I spent many hours trying. Turning off the Anti Virus/Firewall - Run with administer rights - Restarting the computer - Trying different optical drives - etc. etc.
on 8 September 2014
I run an independent publishing house, and when purchasing a software suite, there were a myriad options available. By far the best value was PagePlus, hundreds of pounds cheaper than a comparable Adobe product, where you are essentially paying a huge premium for features you will never use.
Additionally, buying PagePlus X7 over X8, you will save another wedge of cash for just about the same product.

-Best value for money