Needed for a new Windows 8 laptop that didn't have an optical drive, this USB powered DVD reader/writer worked straight out of the box in true plug and play fashion. Burning was no issue. (software supplied but we used that already installed on the laptop) and it also happily worked on a 2013 iMac.

Aesthetics are naturally complementary to the current range of Samsung laptops and reasonably pleasing to the eye if a little prone to finger marks which however can be easily wiped clean.

If you want Bluray, look elsewhere but for normal ancillary DVD use, this fitted the bill perfectly.
on 28 August 2014
Simply excellent!
However, as a Mac User and not very computer savvy I add the following.
1. The instructions that came with the Writer just show how to connect it to your computer.
2. Reference is made to Samsung's website for the user manual. It is not on the website.
3. The disc which comes with the Writer is for Windows only. Therefore there is no access to the manual.

I proceded as follows.
a) Connect as instructed. NO ICON appears on the desktop until a disc is inserted.
b) Insert the disc. In my case I inserted an old disc which contained family photographs.
c) Click on the Icon to open.
d) Folders, files etc appear. Open in the usual way.
e) I've set the mouse for right hand use, so click once right hand and eject. The disc ejects smoothly.

To save on disc is straight forward, but large files e.g. photographs do take some time. However an Apple "Ping," informs you when the operation is complete.

One word of caution.
The open disc drawer is perhaps a little weak. Consequently, both hands are needed to load a disc and support the tray.

Having 'road tested,' this product, I have no major criticism.
And a lot cheaper than the Apple own brand!
on 13 October 2013
Having recently purchased a new laptop without an internal CD/DVD player, I needed to buy an external one so that i could upload/download photos, music etc. The choice was enormous, but I decided to go for a make I was familiar with, and a medium priced product. It is easy to use, and so far has proved a good buy.
on 29 April 2014
I bought this as b***%%ng Apple have messed around with my iMac and, with yet another one of their 'updates', managed to wreck my internal CD writer. It would read and write DVDs but, place a CD in the slot and it would get chucked out again in moments. Spent hours trawling through the message boards on Apple to find a solution and the best Apple could offer was "buy a separate SuperDrive from Apple for £70.00"! So rather than waste any more time, I researched on Amazon and came up with this alternative - less than half the cost yet it works perfectly. I have 'stood' my iMac on top of the CD / DVD unit and it seems quite happy, it immediately allowed me to start burning CDs again and, so far, I am very pleased. Peeved with Apple for making me buy it in the first place but, for this amount of money, it is worth doing rather than trying to get Apple to fix their own product (which, obviously, is now out of warranty!) Quite pleased with this.
on 27 June 2014
The DVD Drive on my iMac gave up and rather than lose the machine for a couple of weeks (and pay the c£200 for a repair) I opted for one of these @ £25. Fired up immediately and does the job. Works perfectly with a Mac (something I couldn't confirm when I ordered it - just took a chance).
on 27 May 2014
I bought a Macbook Air which has no dvd writer and with a lot of information on disc, needed one. Neither did I want to compromise the 'portability' of the computer and this is ideal. Not awarded 5 stars because the instructions weren't helpful. When connected to the Air, nothing registered and only after asking the internet, did I learn that it would be fine once a disc was inserted, which it was.
on 13 December 2014
We'll, so far so good and it's performing as advertised. I use this with a MacBook and have had no problems burning and reading DVDs. Power seems fine and I don't find it as noisy as some other reviewers. You do have to be careful using it because, given that it is slim and light, the drawer mechanism is fragile.
on 14 August 2014
Love this! My MacBook didn't have an internal disk drive, and I needed to use CD's to put software onto it, plus thought it'd be handy for DVDs generally. Really really easy, like others have said, you just plug it in and it's straight away ready. I didn't use the software that came with it and it works with the player on my laptop none the less.
A bit plastic and light (which is probably a good thing), you get the quality you pay for but hopefully this will last for a long while instead.
on 23 September 2014
Awesome product, why to pay more for an apple drive when you can have one at a third of the price and does exactly the same?

I bought this product to use it with my mac book pro. I read some of the comments and decided to take the plunge. I can not be happier with it. The drive is light, and works perfectly with the mac. I have managed to set up idvd in my MBP and I have also managed to burn some wedding dvd projects I was working on.

The connection to the MBP was flawless and it worked first time, so I believe you won't regret it and you would also save some pennies.
on 1 August 2014
Bought to use with my 2013 desktop iMac. I seldom need to use a CD/DVD drive and couldn't justify paying for Apple's official equivalent.

And I'm glad I went for this - it's plugged into a spare USB socket and worked straight from the box, no messing around. The finish is simply black plastic so it's not going to win any design awards. However what it does, it does well...

1. It worked straight from the box
2. Is fast - ripping a CD on this is really quick.
3. It's relatively quiet when in use.
4. Is pretty light and compact - ideal if you need to take it somewhere.
5. And best of all - it's exceptionally cheap but from a named brand!

Great buy if you only need occasional access to a CD/DVD read/writer.