on 23 November 2013
this is a perfect traditional family game making a fantastic Christmas present for my son it was cheaper then anywhere else
on 9 January 2014
Buying this game teaches you to argue, cheat, exploit, bankrupt, destroy and ultimately hate and kill. Ok so it doesn't HAVE to end in murder but let's face it after 7 hours of playing it no jury would convict you if you killed your family just to make it stop.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2013
Ok I admit we play lots of more modern board games in our house (like Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne and Forbidden Desert) but we still have some fun with Monopoly. And I cant imagine many people who haven't played it, so it wont be easy to make this review new and interesting

The 2013 set comes with the new cat piece, which is quite sweet, and pretty much everything else is what you would expect. All the cards and money feel a bit small/flimsy to me but the player counters are metal and the whole game is typically about a tenner on Amazon, so that seems fair. The full rrp of £17 seems a little high (to me at least)

We have played the adult Monopoly (this 2013 and previous versions) with our children since they were about 7 after migrating from Junior Monopoly. And we all have fun. We tend to play 'quick and dirty' with a few house rule variants to speed/liven things up (see below if you are interested). The kids have learnt to manage money/counting/sums, negotiation skills, strategic decision making and experimenting with new rules (and the consequences) - admittedly with some with prompting from mum and dad - so there is some educational value in the game. The game has 2 normal dice and a red 'speed dice', we mostly prefer/use 'normal dice' but the red dice makes for a bit more speed/luck.

Taking Monopoly on its own terms it is a perfectly agreeable family game (in my opinion), it isn't a game we would play lots of and probably wouldn't be our first choice for an adults only game - 3 stars seems too harsh so we give it a (generous) 4 for being an adaptable classic.

. . . a few house rules if you are interested (or haven't tried changing rules yet: all fines etc go on to free parking to keep more cash in the game (does anyone not do this?), no purchases on the first round the board (or until all players have passed 'Go' once (or twice!)); each property is auctioned to the highest bidder as it is landed on (3 or more players and its ruthless!), no rents can be collected in jail; game ends when 1 player is bankrupted and the winner is the one with most cash (or more usually asset value); being allowed to build on properties without owning the set (stated rents with houses are halved until the set is complete) is good fun too
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2014
Bought this for Christmas for our ten year old grandson. He has had a lot of fun playing it. Best price anywhere!!
on 28 November 2013
bought as a gift on impulse as it was an amazing prie. £6.66 is awsome for the newest version of the classic game
on 14 December 2015
Ahhh who doesn't love a game of Monopoly?!

I used to play this for hours on end with my parents as a child. I loved it then, and I love it now, but my Mum's old 1980's board is on its last legs. I have purchased this for my daughter (well, more for me!) so she can have as much fun playing this with me as I did with my own mother.

There are a few little differences between this and the older versions, but nothing too major. The place names are the same, the objective is the same, but the money seems thinner, cheaper, and some of the playing pieces have been changed, I assume to be more modern.

We haven't played our first game yet, I need to find a day where we have 7 or 8 hours free! Hours of fun for all the family!
on 17 September 2015
Long gone are the days when things were manufactured with quality with the intention to last. To my surprise, this logic of maximum savings has even affected board games...

Board is ok, but property cards are astonishingly thin, which is not a good feeling when compared with older versions of the game. I still own a monopoly board from the mid eighties (?), it's a bit tatty by now, but the property cards are still good! Proper thick almost cardboard like. I even think that I'll use those with this new board.

I wouldn't mind paying double if that would guarantee me a really nice quality Monopoly board game.

This is a classic game that should offer a better quality, but as so many other things nowadays, it isn't made to last...
on 23 December 2015
Bought as a family game for Christmas. Reasonable price and delivered quickly but the contents, especially the player tokens look and feel cheap and are much smaller than the original ones. They now include a cat, for all you feline fanciers out there! Lol
I might sou d old saying this, but I guess things are produced more cheaply than they used to be, so the quality just isn't the same, however, I'm sure this will entertain us for a while over the festive season and beyond.
on 31 December 2015
I purchased this game in the last week before Christmas with the expectation that it would arrive before New Years. It came in on Christmas eve which was a pleasant surprise.
Monopoly is a must have game and one that can take up a few hours of your family time with everyone but the 8 year old being fully engrossed and highly competitive. The 8 year old played banker, read out chance and community chest cards and counted out moves.
on 24 January 2016
This is an updated version of "The Game".
I absolutely love this game since I was a kid. Never stop playing it, but I seem to have misplaced my last box, so I ordered this one.
This is still the normal version with back notes, and not that silly version with credit cards.
Nice, simple and unforgettable. One of the few times where "vanilla flavor" is better than any other.