Customer reviews

on 20 May 2017
If my second novel ever gets made into a film, and if I've got any say in the matter, then Alestorm will be doing the soundtrack.
Alestorm have been described as either pirate metal or battle metal. Either way, after three listens, it's definitely growing on me. I'm not sure what I expected when I ordered the cd, but let's be clear, Alestorm sing songs about pirates, and that's it. If you like a combination of that and heavy metal, then Alestorm are the boys for you. Musically, it sits in mainstream metal, and lyrically, it's sixteenth century Spanish Main and high seas. The song titles, to say nothing of the album covers, give that particular game away, and it's all done to a very high degree of musicianship. Whatever humour there is in the songs, and there's a lot, this is quality stuff.
So why only four stars? Well, as I said, it is growing on me, so maybe over time I'd give more. I would have liked a bit more range from the singer, but maybe that's just me being picky, and maybe it fits right in with the genre and theme just fine as it is. Either way, I will be getting more of their albums, and I will be looking to see them live.
So, any chance of a backstage pass and a discussion about a movie soundtrack?
An Angel's Alternative
Cold Steel on the Rocks
We Are Cold Steel
on 21 February 2008
I heard of this band a couple of weeks before their album was released, and they are fast becoming one of my favourite bands. The whole album from start to finish is bloody brilliant. When I listen to an album, I sometimes sing along to one or two of the tracks. First time I listened to this album, I sang along to each of the tracks, and that is something I rarely do. But if I was to choose one track on the album as my favourite, it would have to be the title song: Captain Morgan's Revenge. While all the other songs on the album are fantastic, the title song is the one that really stands out for me.
If you are a fan of Battle Metal, I would happilly recommend getting a copy of Alestorm's debut album. Judging by the calibur of Alestorm's debut album, from which I was simply blown away from the word go, and loved every single minute of it. I can't wait for the band to release their second album.
on 2 April 2013
I'm into pirate-themed stuff, have my own costume, a model ship to build, etc. I retire in 3 years time, so I need fun projects to do, when that day comes and I actually find somewhere to live! And so I've collected a few good movies, and a lot of musical stuff, especially pirate shanties, etc.

This one will be kept. It's full of rollicking good tunes and lyrics. By a strange coincidence, Captain Morgan Rum is my favourite rum. To be enjoyed when listening to this CD!
on 15 March 2015
I was thrown a bit when copying music onto computer as disk is all set up for this album but it is a different album on the disk.
I still like the album on the disk so happy with purchase.
on 7 February 2008
I've been waiting for this release for ages and I can assure you it is well worth the money! There are some brilliant tracks on this album, all of which blend the styles of folk and metal seamlessly to create a very enjoyable listening experience. Tracks such as wenches and mead, and nancy the tavern wench will have you singing along and bashing your tankard on the table, what better reason to buy the album than that!? :)
Fans of turisas and bands of that style will like Alestorm, anyone who thinks pirates are cool or likes something abit different should also check these guys out!
on 22 March 2008
The band proudly proclaim themselves to be 'Scottish Pirate Metal', and yup, that is (rather happily) just what you get. Nine songs (plus a cover, see later) of merry metal action, with some raspy pirate captain-esque vocals, cliche piratical lyrics ("With the power of ale, he cannot fail" is a personal favourite, along with "I want more wenches, more wenches is what I need") and hooks as large as any found on a pirate vessel in Peter Pan.

It is best not to expect anything progressive, especially bold or truly diverse from Alestorm: but then, their piratical formula for music has enough life in it for a whole album at least, and so it doesn't matter. Two pseudo-ballads, 'Nancy the Tavern Wench' and 'Of Treasure' offer little more than a respite from the fun solos and 'ya-ha-has!' of the rest of the tracks, and meanwhile their branch into the world of cover tracks, 'Flower of Scotland', is the album's weakest point. Thus, my only concern for Alestorm is that they may end up as something of a one-trick pony. Even if that is the case, however, 'Captain Morgan's Revenge' is a mightily enjoyable trick all the same!

Fans of bands such as Turisas and Hammerfall can't really go wrong with this: it's very difficult to dislike a band that sings about raising pints of rum, and trust me, you will soon be singing along with them. Buy this and enjoy the sound of timbers being well and truly shivered.
on 7 April 2008
This album is great fun and makes me smile everytime I play it.

The album kicks off with Over the Seas ( my favourite track ), A pirate theme tune if ever I heard one !.

Next up Captains Morgans Revenge an epic track about a pirates curse.

Track 3 is The Huntmaster which starts with a great Guitar/Accordian solo.

Nancy The Tavern Wench follows, a track which you can actually visualize pirates singing in an olde tavern ! very catchy, you will be swaying from side to side with your beer in the air listening to this one !.

Things dip in quality slightly on the next 2 tracks, but Alestorm come back to great form on Set Sail and Conquer another album highlight.

Things mellow a bit on the very good Of Treasure, which shows the band in a different light.

Wenches and Mead is another pirate beer/women anthem, very good.

Last up Flower Of Scotland - A good version.

This Album is Pirate/Battle Metal at its best.
on 1 May 2008
I first heard Alestorm over a year ago when they called themselves Battleheart and I instantly loved their music. 'Wenches and Mead' and 'Nancy the Tavern Wench' are regular drinking anthems for myself and rum swigging friends.

Following in the footsteps of Running Wild, Alestorm have put a huge spotlight on Pirate Metal for a host of new fans.

This is an awesome album and I'm can't wait for the follow-up!
on 8 October 2011
This is a grand album. Everything from the fast catchy riffs, the keyboard solo's and vocals. The songs are very well written and this is an album I listen to very often

Alestorm are underrated, they have a great amount of talent and need to be more known out there. This is refreshing music especially for today's generation of music.
on 3 March 2010
like pirates? like folk music? enjoy the piratical sea shanties of alestorm. an awesome prouduct of scotland.
i also strongly recomend that you try and catch this band live!