on 24 July 2013
I am a 70 year-old who sold his company and retired just as the internet was beginning to have an impact on business back in the late 90s. I joined Facebook in 2006 and LinkedIn and Twitter more recently. I did this out of curiosity and to see how I might have used them if I was still in business. I could see they were relevant but without actually using them to promote anything I felt there was most certainly gaps in my understanding.

I then used Facebook as blog for an adventure I carried out. (Search for "The Great Norwegian Solo RIB Raid" on Google yourself and see the result.) This did draw out over 1,000 event visitors without trying too hard, and I could see I was on the edge of understanding something, but that there huge gaps in my knowledge.

As a result I bought Michelle Carvill's book and have just finished reading. It's impressive stuff, and I can see that if I was still running my company I would have to follow her approach.

But the whole business of being social is not something to be taken lightly. A clear strategy is a must and a carefully coordinated tactical plan is vital if time and money are not to be wasted in the implementation.

If you are running any growing business you need to read this book.
on 15 July 2013
I run a web marketing agency in London and I always aim to keep myself informed and up to date on all ways to market a business online and help our clients in the best possible manner.

I source most of my inforrmation from social media and the internet in general, but once in a while I read a book or two and the writen press also.

I was recommended this book though and purchased it on amazon and it is an excellent purchase.

It is a GREAT book to tally achieving what it sets out to do:

· Practical, step-by-step guide - almost a training manual

· Goes from extremely basic right up to advanced level social media

· Lots of tips and case studies

· Shows how you can incorporate social media into your marketing and business plans

And the best thing of all is that is doesn't go out of date because the writer run a blog in parallel to the book keeping you constantly up to date with social media platform changes and new tips.

I have certainly picked up a few good tips and been reminded of basic principles which I know of but so often overlook.

All in all, a great purchase and if you run a small / medium size business and need to get up to scratch with your Socail media activities, this is a great book to start with.
on 18 July 2013
Agree with all other reviews and the 5* rating, one perfect read!
Gained so much from this and also have highlighted many points to refer back to. (my book is looking very much orange highlight pages)
After attending a training course with Michelle Carvill - It is a recommended course btw .
The BOB book really goes into depth and adds good strategic advice on your moves forward to all aspects of Social Media to engage and gain traffic
Even for the advanced - this is well worth a purchase.
Should you buy it - YES
Can you refer to it - YES
Will it make you/business - thinking different - YES
Will you learn - YES
Inspire you to change your workings on Social media - YES
Will it excite you to leap onto Twitter/Facebook etc - YES

A truly great read and something that I will keep referring to!
I give this 5*, due to the way it is written and an easy guide to what do's and don'ts
Perfect evening read - as I can assure you, you will make changes the next morning to your Company strategy!
Social Media in a new light learnt! Brilliant!
on 25 November 2013
Having already read David's other excellent book "Fusion, a new way of marketing", I was eager to get my hands on his latest collaboration with co-author Michelle Carvill. I have to say I was not disappointed. An extremely well laid out book giving not only an overview on the whole Social Media "thing", but providing more detailed explanations and applications of each of the "social" tools. It's written in a very user-friendly way, setting out the basics (which even as someone who has got to grips with social media was a useful refresher) such us defining your target market to reviewing your marketing strategies, to the finer details of how to use Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn etc. Packed full of useful tips throughout, it's one of those books you can simply dip into - although I would recommend keeping a notebook or iPad handy to make notes and to look up some of the useful sites and references. All I can say is that I really hope my competitors, i.e. other commercial property agents and advisers in the Kent area don't get to read this book!
on 8 July 2013
My copy of this book is already covered in heavy underlining. After understanding the overall message of how it is essential to adapt to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc I have needed to go back and follow the simple and carefully explained steps to creating a profile.. It is also worth reading next to a computer in order to look up the many interesting references to spectacular successes of failures of those who have already experimented in social media. An absolute must for anyone like me who is self-employed or running a small business, but equally useful no doubt to large companies who need to refocus their marketing strategy.
on 24 March 2014
The Business of Being Social covers everything you need to know about social media for business. Whether you are starting out with zero knowledge around social – or you are 'savvy' on the channels – this book has lots to teach you. It covers both strategy – and the fundamental thinking and planning you need to apply before you dive in – and also the practicalities of setting up, getting started and being effective and impactful on the leading channels.
on 4 October 2013
This book sat on my wish list for far too long, having attended one of Michelle's excellent social media workshops I was excited to find out that there was now a book. This book gives you a low down of all the ins/outs and what to do's for the four most important and most popular social media platforms. Packed with all of the information that you need to know whatever the size of your business. If your new to social media this is a must read that will save you time and possibly money, getting you up to speed before you insert your first #.
on 18 December 2013
Very very good content and organisation of the topics. Although I only used it to analyse YouTube on a marketing report, I really liked the abundance of information - from what I could tell, not only on YouTube but also other social media platforms. I didn't really use it to the benefit of my business so I can't really comment on how efficient it is in doing that, but the author definitely does a good job!
on 5 February 2016