on 24 May 2014
brought this as the laptop my son had did not have these programs and he later needed these for his school work.
the instillation was simple and fairly quick and i am by far no computer wizz. the programs are pretty standard issue no notable extras really.
so all in all it does what its says.for me though it just seemed overpriced (though buying a new laptop would have been more pricey!).
on 28 January 2015
Not particularly happy. I would have preferred the previous version, as this one seems to have moved or disabled some options and added unnecessary screens for no reason. Like when I click 'file', I would like it to just be a drop down menu instead of covering the entire window with this unnecessary screen. Oh well, it's just my personal taste. Other people may think different.
on 8 February 2014
Package has essential Office (Word/Excel/PP) for Laptop; integrates well with SkyDrive & Nokia Lumia Windows 8 Mobile. Slightly high price compared to Office365 options, but good value. Suits non Pro users best. Best undersold application: OneNote. Very useful, includes print to .pdf
on 4 August 2017
Great price
Though this installed fine on my system (Windows 7, SP1, 64-Bit), I did have problems installing the Office 365 trial (before I chose instead to buy the Home and Student 2013 download from Amazon). The problem for me seemed to be as it says you can start using office straight away (before the product has even been installed). I didn't try this, but after the introduction video (which starts playing whilst it is installing) there is an option to "learn more". After clicking this, the Office 365 trial opened a Powerpoint presentation, whilst Office was still installing, and Powerpoint promptly crashed. The installer also gave several "critical" errors, but continued installing eventually and despite the problems, everything seemed to work fine when it had finished.

I could understand how this may cause serious problems to your install--depending on whereabouts the installer had gotten to--so I'd recommend not trying to open any programs or clicking the "learn more" button. I didn't do anything with this download version (just let it install) and it installed without any problems for me.

The software itself is great. I prefer it to 2010 mainly as it seems to load a lot quicker (all programs load in a couple of seconds, whereas with Office 2010 it was an irritating 10-20 on my system). I also really like the new start screen--which looks beautiful and gives you easy access to all your recently used/pinned documents as well as the templates on Office.com (though you can turn it off in the options if you prefer to go straight to the program). I use templates a lot, so for me this was excellent. The other great thing (for me) is that the response time inside of the program is also much snappier (the ribbon switches instantly between "tabs", whereas in 2010, from a cold start, each of the tabs would into RAM as you used them). It is a small difference, but also means you can get working almost immediately without the program doddering about for a while initially.

The ability to automatically save to your Sky Drive folder is welcome (though you can easily change it to save to another folder if you prefer). It doesn't seem any slower to me: there is a noticeable pause once you save something for the first time, but saving with the button on the quick access toolbar afterwards is almost instant.

Of course, though, the main drawback is the new single-computer licensing restriction (for which reason I'm only giving it 3 stars (1 star licensing and 5 star software). As I only use one PC, it's not a problem for me, but I can totally understand anyone refusing to pay twice if they have a laptop also. There is the option, now, though, of buying this for your main PC, and installing Office 2010 starter (just search for "download Office 2010 starter", M$ have made it freely available now) to your secondary device. I know it has annoying adverts, but I used to use WordWeb--a downloadable dictionary and thesaurus which you can set to "stay on top"--to cover them. Though obviously not as good as the full Office (it only has cut-down editions of Excel and Word), this is a decent compromise if you do most of your work on one PC and just use your laptop for basic editing on the move.
22 Comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2013
Well after some hassle with Microsoft trying to purchase this in the first place, I was pleasantly surprised that as Windows 8 already had Office on my system that I actually didn't have to download the 1gb programme and it only took seconds to have it up and running. I've only had a quick limited use on excel etc but already like the way just hovering over font/type etc gives you an instant view of what it looks like [last word I used previously was circa 2003, so users of later versions probably already know this. Also like the paste/copy experience etc. This review is only really a heads- up to let people know that if they choose the download version one doesn't have to wait 30mins or so to download. Technical comment can be found on the hard copy version of this product on Amazon for a more detailed understanding of Office 2013 but first impressions are that I'm glad I stuck with this and avoided the open office/Libre versions.
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2014
Whilst I'm not giving an actual review of the Office 2013 here, I do wish to make potential buyers aware that this is a direct install, not an installation program download, and can it only be ONLY be installed by the purchaser with a Microsoft account on the purchasers PC. For the majority of buyers this is probably exactly what they want but we were expecting to obtain an activation number to activate the pre-installed version of Office on my sons new laptop. We only found out after completing the purchase that this is not possible. Amazon also informed me that software purchases are non-refundable. I had not downloaded the software so was eventually given a refund. My son does not have a Microsoft account nor does he have a credit card, and I could only buy this on my account an could not it install it with his details. This is a really retrograde step by MS. Bring back the CD version please. We were left with the only option of activating the pre-installed version at the full MS price. Amazon also need to make buyers aware they need a MS account and can only install to the purchasers account.
on 15 February 2014
I had to wait 4 hours for the download link to appear so I could start the process. Installation was a nightmare- not the fault of Amazon but I so wish I had paid more and taken it to a shop for someone else to download. It took 12 hours and a huge load of hassle to finally get it installed, up and running. Unless you know your way round a computer, don't even bother trying to do it yourself!
on 2 December 2013
Why can't Microsoft offer this on a CD-ROM? I bought this with a new PC, and have been unable to download it. I scratched off part of the 25-digit product code on the cheap little card that I paid nearly £100 for. I am not a moron; I do know how to use a coin to scratch off a bit of rubbery plastic. It wouldn't let me do it properly.
If that's how cheap they are at the simple end, what hope is there for a once great and essential product? Shame on you, Microsoft. Cheapskates.

I must add that PC World, where I bought this, were perfectly happy to exchange my card for another, no fuss. So I hold no gripe with them. This product would cost no more than a couple of quid to release on CD-ROM, and this is a sign of unnecessary corner-cutting.
55 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2015
Dithered about buying this, but did so as I had been using Office 2000 and it could no longer deal with my requirements.
It downloaded and installed without any problems but I just could not get it to work. Every time I tried to use it my computer crashed.
At screaming point I contacted The Microsoft Tech Team. They were absolutely fantastic. A lovely lady took over my machine remotely and had the problem fixed in no time.
I had a program on my computer called Abby Fine Print that was preventing Office from working.
(I was not aware that this was on my computer, as I had not installed it. It had been a piggyback download with some other software that had been installed) Once that was removed everything worked just fine. I am so pleased I purchased it. It is so much better than any office I have used.
I had used Office 2010 and had been impressed, but this is fantastic and trying to compere it with Office 2000 is like trying to compere an old banger with a new Bentley Continental (there is just no comparison). it comes with One Drive which means I can now access my docs on my tablet, my mobile phone and anywhere in the world I wish to. How cool is that.
If you need to update your office software do not dither like I did. Get This Now. It is definitely the best office suite out there.