VINE VOICEon 25 April 2016
This is the first time I've tried Isabella Connor, or indeed any novel published by Choc Lit. I was fascinated when I discovered, at the very end, that Isabella Connor is the pen name of a writing partnership - and that the two authors have never met in the flesh. Not that it matters to the story, but whoever said that internet friendships aren't 'real' has certainly missed the point in this case.

The story begins with rich business man Jack Stewart's shock when the wife who deserted him years before is killed in a road accident. That's just the start of this absorbing novel which features two love affairs plus strong links with Ireland and rural England.

The story drew me in, little by little. The writing is tight and the author's knowledge of Ireland, English country life and the traveller culture which is an essential part of the story seemed to me to be faultless.

This was a book that delivered more than it promised, with many twists and turns plus a sweet happy ending.

Recommended for those who like a love story but enjoy a twisty mystery and a well-depicted back story.
on 26 June 2017
A very powerful romance that will is compulsive reading! This is an excellence novel - surprisingly by two authors who have never met. It is the story of Jack who is re-united with Luke, the 20 year old Irish Traveller son he has never met because he never knew of his existence. Luke does not want to know Jack as he hates him for what he supposedly did to Luke's mother. Jack takes Luke back to England where most of Jack's family hate Luke.....read on to discover how this tangled web of hatred is untangled..... An excellent Choc Lit novel that is a must to read. Well done Liv and Val! I loved it!
on 15 October 2013
I downloaded this book on impulse, but once started I could not put it down until I had finished it, and the previous plans I had had for the weekend were wiped out! The story commences with Jack Stewart going to identify the body of his 20 years estranged wife who had been killed in a road accident, and at the same time he discovers that he had been named on her 20 year old son's birth certificate as the father. Disbelieving, he meets the lad, who was also involved in the accident. From here the story involves mystery, love, hate and treachery, twists and turns together with humour and a touch of Irishness, which I like.

I downloaded the book for free, and by the time I had recommended it to my husband the price had gone up to £1.99. However, it is such a good story I do believe that if I had paid full price for it I would not have felt cheated. I found it very well written, and the story carries you along with no annoying editing faults. Great stuff, I really enjoyed it.
on 11 August 2013
When jacks wife deserted him, he suffered a breakdown. They never divorced and now twenty years later he has to go to Ireland to identify her body following a car crash. While there he discovers he has son age twenty, that he knew nothing about. This opens a whole can of worms and a brilliant story. I've not given anything away because all that I've mentioned is in the first few pages. I will definitely be trying other choc lit books.
on 4 September 2013
Beneath an Irish Sky was a fascinating story which kept me enthralled. It was unexpected and original and just as I thought I'd got the gist of the story, it would twist and turn away with a new revelation. Although not a mystery, there are questions you want answered and they are gradually given up but this is done with so much skill you just have to keep turning the pages. I enjoyed the twin strand romances of the younger and older couple and the character of Annie and her legacy.
on 22 April 2015
I read very many books of all kinds and rarely have I had tears in my eyes whilst reading any of them. However I found this story very moving. Isabella Connor really tugged at my heartstrings with her blend of emotions and mystery.
on 26 May 2014
This was a complex, well written, fascinating romance. The characters are all completely developed and the plot draws you in. Highly recommended.
on 4 March 2016
Really fab story with an unexpected twist and a feel good factor at the end. Nicely written. Would read more by this author.
on 14 November 2014
A well written, fascinating story, full of twists and turns.
on 13 July 2017