VINE VOICEon 21 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have approached this review from the point of view that if I did not personally see results, I could not recommend anyone else to spend a serious amount of money buying this product. I am pretty happy with my size and shape over all, I wouldn't classify myself as "fat" but there are areas where I would appreciate a bit of "sculpting" - my inner thighs and below my belly button. That is lucky because this machine allows you to treat the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, lower back and upper arms.

Before you consider this product, you need to know the medical restrictions. The manual states that use of the machine is not recommended "if you suffer from any of the following conditions: if you are pregnant or think you might be, if you are breast-feeding, undergoing fertility treatments, if you have any kind of heart disease, if you suffer from skin problems, osteoporosis, fibromyalgia, malignant tumours, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, kidney problems, metal implants or prostheses, hearing implants, physical deformity, epilepsy, long-term treatment with medications: anti-inflammatories, anticoagulants, antibiotics or antihistamines, depression, psychiatric or psychological treatment, liver problems (fatty liver), irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes."

The machine is supposed to work by using ultrasound to break down fat cell walls with the result that the fatty acids released are either used up as energy or flushed out of the body by the liver. You need to plan your treatments - the product information on amazon recommends carrying out treatments in the morning to allow the body the maximum time to process the fat released, although this advice is not repeated in the manual. Before you start on the treatment, you are supposed to have drunk up to two litres of water in the space of two hours. That is a whole day's worth of water in a very short space of time - and it makes it very uncomfortable to treat the stomach area! Then, the maximum treatment time is 40 minutes, spread across at least two treatment areas. You will need a shower afterwards to wash off ultrasound gel and then you are supposed to take 20-30 mins of light exercise to boost the lymphatic drainage system. If you want to do the maximum of one treatment session every 72 hours, you can see how this becomes impractical. Fine if you are a lady of leisure, but if you have a job, you either have to get up a couple of hours early for work or compromise on the time that you carry out the treatment - I chose to compromise.

To assess the results from the machine, I have stuck to my normal exercise routine of gym classes (just adding in the 20 minute walk after each treatment) and I haven't changed my diet. I measured my thighs before each treatment but I did not measure my stomach - although I was treating it, the stomach is subject to other variables such as the amount you have eaten or bloating(particularly if you have been following the instructions regarding water!), so I relied on my eye to judge results on my stomach. You are also supposed to cut out caffeine and alcohol for 48 hours after each treatment - for some people, this in itself will produce results but I rarely drink them anyway so it was not difficult for me.

Setting up the machine is easy - there is a holder for the ultrasound "applicator" which slots into the back of the machine, a socket to connect the lead from the applicator to the machine and a power cord to connect. You need to liberally apply ultrasound gel to the first treatment area - keep a towel and a damp cloth handy, then use the "mode" button to select the treatment area (indicated by a small diagram with a blue light), increase or decrease intensity and increase or decrease treatment time. The manual says that the pre-set levels and timings take into account the amount and depth of the fat normally located in each treatment area and so they are recommended for normal use. As I do not consider myself abnormal, I stuck with the pre-set levels which are either level 3 or 4 out of 5, and between 8 and 15 minutes per area (the maximum is 20 minutes per area, with a maximum of 40 minutes per session). Finally, press the start button then slowly, and without pressing, glide the applicator across the skin. Your will hear a buzzing / clicking noise constantly and intermittently a high pitched alarm / whining sort of noise which is hard to describe. Whilst annoying, I didn't find this particularly uncomfortable, I just turned the tv up so that I could listen to it whilst carrying out the treatment. You will need something to listen to or to watch because 40 mins is a long time to just massage this applicator around your body.

The only discomfort that I did experience during treatment was on my stomach - the metal plate of the applicator was hotter and the pre-set stomach setting is level 4, where thighs are level 3, and I also experienced a prickling which left small red bumps like a rash over the area, although it did fade over time. I didn't experience this on my thighs and so, I did a couple of experiments - I tried treating my stomach first (wondering whether the heat was compounded by treating my stomach after my two thighs), but I still experienced the prickling on my stomach but not my thighs. I then tried treat my thighs on level 4(wondering if it was the level that had caused the issue) but I did not experience any prickling there. So, it is a mystery why my stomach suffered but not my thighs.

So - the results. None - after 12 sessions over the course a month. My thighs are exactly the same circumference as they were before I started and I cannot see a difference in my stomach. Certainly not the advertised "up to 2.5 cm reduction." I appreciate that they said "up to" but I do think that I should have seen some results for the time that was put in. If you look at the small print on the box, you will see that the 180 people who saw the average 2.5cm reduction all used the machine on the maximum level 5 (not the pre-set level 3 or 4, depending on area) and for the maximum 40 minutes per session. Presumably, this was 20 minutes per area, rather that the pre-set 8-15 minutes, but that is not specified. This really annoys me - if the pre-set levels are recommended for normal use, they should give the results experienced by people using the pre-set levels. There is no explanation as to why these 180 people thought it necessary to deviate from the pre-set levels - presumably because Homedics told them to for the purpose of their study, but why did Homedics chose not to rely on the pre-set levels that they themselves recommend? Overall, I feel like I have lost over 12 hours of my life which would have been better spent just going on a long walk and physically burning some calories - yes, that would have resulted in an overall weight reduction, rather than a targeted reduction, but it is better than nothing! I cannot recommend that anyone go out and spend money on this machine. In the space of a month I have also almost used up the 500ml tub of ultrasound gel that Homedics supply with the machine - replacements are very expensive (see Homedics Ultra Slim Pro Gel Replacement Pack) compared to generic ultrasound gel on amazon. There is nothing to indicate that Homedics' ultrasound gel has any special ingredients or properties and I suspect that it is just a rip off.

Think very carefully before purchasing this machine - instead of finding the time for treatments, would you be better off using that time to fit in some extra exercise? Then you would have several hunderd pounds left over to treat yourself to something that you really want!
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wifes review: -I was really excited about getting my Ultra Slim, having read some positive feedback, and I wasn't disappointed! The unit itself is quite large and heavy, and the handle you use to move across the body is also quite heavy, but the whole thing is sturdy and well made. It works by pulsing ultrasound waves through the applicator, and this makes fat cells vibrate very fast until they...well explode! Then your body clears up the released fat in your bloodstream, and it is excreted. The unit comes with a reasonably sized pot of gel (500ml) which is used to make the applicator glide across the skin and assist the ultrasound waves to penetrate to the fat. Extra pots of their branded gel will cost a small fortune (nearly £40), however you can buy other ultrasound gels much more cheaply. I am hoping these will work just as well, otherwise it will be expensive. However, you only use a small amount of gel each time, so it should last a while. The instructions are very clear, and warn you about a noise whilst it is working and a "pins and needles" sensation which is caused by the fat cells exploding. However, I found the sensation more like tiny prickles under the skin, and not painful at all. I have a problem with the sound the applicator makes, which is difficult to describe, but something like an extremely high pitched fire alarm. It makes my ears pop, and is quite uncomfortable. I expect each individual's experience of both sensation and sound will vary. It is important to follow the instructions regarding which areas to treat, how often and for how long, to allow the body time to excrete the fat released. The booklet has easy to understand text and illustrations explaining this. I chose to alternate my upper arms and thighs every other session, and always included my tummy. The unit has preset duration and intensity settings for each body area, but these are easily personalised to suit your individual needs. I found 20 minutes for my tummy and 10 minutes for each arm and leg worked for me. I started the program by measuring the circumference of my tummy, my upper arms and thighs, and recorded them immediately prior to my next session. I'm amazed to report that my tummy measurement has shrunk by one inch, and although there is no change to my upper arm measurement, they are definitely firmer and less flabby. This is a very expensive piece of equipment, but it would cost a lot more to go to a salon on a regular basis, and of course it is a lot more convenient.
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Now let me start by saying I am a man who when seeing the Homedics Ultra Slim for the first time said "That's all you get for the price?" However I decided that I would give the machine the benefit of the doubt and see if you really do get results in 2 weeks. All my family and friends were desperate to hear the results and find out if it is all hot air or if it does work!

The machine looks very clinical and doesn't have any hard set up. It is literally plug in and switch on. You also get the gel which you must use with the machine to get the best results. I am told the Homedics Ultra Slim is almost identical to what salons use, but now available to do in the comfort of your own home!

I wanted to give the 2 week test a go on my stomach area as the area which I would notice any change ( slight podge!) The machine comes with instructions which I highly recommend you read fully to make sure you have an understanding on what you need to do and the safety aspect of how many times you can use it and what areas of the body you need to avoid. To sum up what the machine does, the high frequency Ultrasound waves break down the fat under your skin into liquid which then passes out of your body. For my 2 weeks of treatments on my stomach it says I can do 3 treatments a week and you must have a day between each treatment. To get maximum results you should also avoid alcohol and drink water before you start.

On the machine itself you select the area you are going to treat (thighs, stomach, bottom, arms) which then loads the program. Apply the gel provided liberally all over the area you are treating. Press start and away you go. Massage the hand held applicator until the program has finished. You can only use the Ultra Slim on the same area once each day, however you can treat 2 different areas each day i.e can treat thighs and bum.

The feeling when using the machine is a high pitch noise in your ears which I found quite uncomfortable for the first few treatments after which I got used to it. I also had what I can only describe as pins and needles in certain area of my stomach but it wasn't painful or uncomfortable. I also have a dog and expected her to be affected when I was using the Ultra Slim but she seemed ok and still stayed in the room when I was using it.

I can say after 2 weeks (6 treatments) that there is a noticeable difference to my stomach. So much so that people have commented that my belly has shrunk!!!!!! It has surprised me how quickly you get results but for the price if it didn't work with great results there is no way it would have any buyers.

If you have the money then I think this is a very good machine to get rid of fatty areas of your body with minimal effort. Results are also noticeable so again you can't fault the claims made by the manufacturers of the Ultra Slim. For anyone interested it is worth noting that the gel costs around forty pounds to replace! A high price after spending a lot of money for the machine itself!!!!

I will continue to use the machine to see what difference I will see to my stomach area after 20 treatments as if 6 treatments have shown such good improvements then 6 weeks should be massive changes.
on 15 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are prepared to put in the time using this machine as frequently as directed, and for as long as required on the targeted body areas, the results do come through. However I feel that this unit is so expensive you would have to be fairly unique to get it for personal use. Even though it is simple enough to use at home without much bother, it seems to me that this is probably better suited to small salons which want to offer an additional service. Given that the instructions are straightforward, and the unit itself is fairly simple, I think just about any adult should be able to use it. Drawbacks are the weight of the unit - but you are not likely to carry it about much - and the expense of replacement gels if you are going to go with the recommended brand. However, any ultrasound gel should work as the technology has been around for a long time, so I don't see why you shouldn't just get something a little more economical.

I saw fair results within a few weeks, but it would take a bit longer for others to notice the changes. What I did see were clothes fitting a little more comfortably and that in itself was nice. I found the 20 minute walk after treatment fitted in quite well with nightly dog walking, although the dog didn't much appreciate the ultrasound unit!!
on 19 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
No matter how you look at it there will never be an easy, effort free way out of slimming down. Although you can use something such as this to help you along the way to shift the pounds faster, you still have to do your part. The aim of Ultra Slim Pro is to enhance body shape and reduce cellulite by breaking down fatty deposits using ultrasonic waves, which then gets removed via natural means. This isn't the lazy way to get the body shape you want, it only really works if you use this in conjunction with a good diet and regular exercise. In fact you are encouraged to use this before an exercise session to stimulate lymph movement. The guidelines for best results involve a lot of preparation and scheduling. For example you are required to drink 2 litres of water per day and it is suggested that you should use this in the morning (remember ideally before exercising) to allow for fatty deposits to be processed by the body within the remaining day. You can only have a treatment totalling 40 minutes within a 24 hour period and there should be a 72 hour break between sessions. Not only that, alcohol and caffeine should be avoided for 48 hours afterwards. So you will probably need to say goodbye to those when using this regularly. As you can see this isn't something `convenient' to use and you will have to change your drinking habits, routine and exercise schedule to fit around using this. It is also worth noting that you will need to be careful when using this around animals/pets with sensitive hearing as the low frequency of the Ultrasound might cause distress. You alone will hear some unusual noises in your head due to the frequency it uses, this is a bit odd at first. There is a lot material on their website to support the scientific theory on how the device works, but the gist of it is that the ultrasonic waves causes such a vibration to the fatty deposits, it breaks them down and thus allowing the body to process it more easily into energy or disposal via the liver. Which is therefore why it is imperative that you use this with exercise and keep yourself more hydrated than usual to see any results.

Down to the last and most important question, does it work? Personally I haven't seen a noticeable difference to the naked eye in the space of a month and without exercising more than usual. Perhaps if you have lots to shift and exercising hard you may see a real drop in size, more than usual. You have to consider the upfront costs, will you continue to use this once you have reached your goal, the gel is also expensive, a tub lasts approximately a month with recommended liberal use. However recovery time is virtually nil unlike invasive procedures. It is also safe to use at home and easy to get started, for example there are preset sessions and intensity (both of which can be configurable) for the abdomen / sides / lower back & thighs / upper leg / hips & buttocks / arms. The unit is not overly large or heavy, for a salon grade product I am a little disappointed that the storage is what it comes packaged in, which is a white cardboard box. I would say if you don't have a lot to lose there is nothing more effective than the two golden ways of life, good ol' exercise and a decent diet.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This comes in a big white cardboard box with a Homedics wrapper round it showing a beautiful slim model. It really does look expensive and luxurious as you start to unwrap it. Inside its securely packed in grey tufa-like cardboard to stop it moving about.

Obviously a full review of this product will take a month, to see if I attain the hoped for 2.5cm (1 inch) reduction, after which there is a recommended maintenance programme of less frequent treatments. This appears to be a sculpting machine to allow you to work on problem areas which don't respond so well to exercise. First impressions are quite good, the white plastic base unit takes up an area about 30cm square, there are buttons on the top to select and modify the preset programmes and a few instructions to help you get started. A digital counter shows you in minutes how long you have to go on your selected programme and the whole thing seems pretty intuitive. You can pause the programme if needed and then restart it, using a button on top of the machine which has exactly the same symbol as your DVD remote.

Not a lot of assembly is required (no tools) A slot in holder at the back of the unit holds the ultrasound handset which looks like a small showerhead and is solid and quite heavy with a smooth plate to apply to the skin. There are 2 power cables - one 3 pin one for the UK and a 2 pin version for Continental power. This is not light equipment and I can't see you popping it into your suitcase to take abroad, but if you do you're prepared. .

I'd recommend putting a little thought into organising yourself before you get started - I didn't and was juggling gel, handset, tissues and clothing. At which point the phone rang.. You'll enjoy this more if you treat it as an occasion and have everything laid out and your phone switched off.

Gel applied, I activated the 15 minute programme for the tummy on setting strength 4 of 5, applied the handset and WOW! Both cats took off up the garden at record speed. If you're doing this right the buzz goes through your head from one ear to the other. It sounds like a small lathe, but only inside your head. The manual assures you that this is harmless, but it makes listening to music or watching TV unlikely. It has one point in its favour which is that if you stray off the gel, the buzz stops, so it keeps you on the right track. I did use rather a lot of gel, reapplying it several times and think I will get through a 50ml pot in 4 or 5 sessions. Refills are here Homedics Ultra Slim Pro Gel Replacement Pack - you need to consider this.

Homedics stipulate that you can do a maximum of 40 minutes treatment and then must leave a gap of 72 hours before your next. They also recommend that you drink lots of water and go for a walk after your treatment. I did 15 minutes on my tummy and 10 minutes each on thighs, didn't need the water, but did go for a 20 minute walk. I felt quite energised, but this might be due to the fact that I'd just given myself a salon treatment. However, I did feel at the very least the benefits of steady massage and hope to see improvements in the next couple of weeks. If anyone has any questions about this machine then please leave a comment and I'll report back.

Update: I have lost the promised 2.5cm in a month my tummy feels flatter and my skintone has improved, but nothing has come off the scales and I still feel that this is a honing tool and not a weight loss machine.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impressions are very good. I didn't know what to expect. The unit itself feels very well made, and quite substantial. The instructions are clear and there are just a couple of steps from taking the unit out of the box to being ready to use it, and these are explained in the guide. The gel that you need to use with the unit is supplied - a 500ml tub. You start by choosing the area you want to target, and apply the gel liberally. Then choose the intensity and the time length of the session (the manual gives recommendations), and move the ultrasound applicator over your skin. It is easy to change both the duration and the intensity once you're used to using it. The ultrasound applicator is very lightweight and is really simple to move over your skin using the gel; you don't need to apply any pressure.

The manual does warn of both pins and needles and an unusual beeping type noise that can be heard as you use the unit on your body. This isn't experienced by anyone else in the room, so this is the effects of the ultrasounds in your body. It feels a little uncomfortable at first but you soon get used to it even in your first session.

This is a nice, easy to use machine that can be used in the privacy of your own home which will mean a lot to some people who would feel self-conscious going into a salon. If the product was a bit lower in price, it would certainly merit five stars. I'll need to use it for longer before I can comment on longer-term efficacy and results. 4 stars
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a moderately large professional equipment, well made and out of the box looks very elegant. It is shown on the amazon product page. I recently started sit ups and abdominal exercises to combat my truncal obesity, when I saw this on the vine, I wanted to try it out to see what help it can give me. The most important I have discovered is that this is very professional, so you need to read the manual very carefully and follow all the instructions to the letter. It has a large probe like most ultrasound equipments to which you must apply gel to the skin or proble before use. It can be used in specific targeted areas, best used early in the day. I have been focusing on my abdomen and find that one needs to have a clean routine with excercise and healthy eating worked into it for maximum benefits. I am just following the advice to the letter. When my schedule goes out of whack like travelling out of town for work, I have had to stop, and wait till I can have time to do it properly. It is early days yet and I will update this review later with results of how I got on. So far so good, the most important advise I can give at this stage is that one must read the manual and follow the instructions as detailed in it. I am looking forward to great results.
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Im reviewing this as a beauty therapist who uses ultrasound in-salon. The unit certainly looks the business and is very well made. It is pretty much useable straight out of the box, and although I have used ultrasound before I think anyone with a modicum of common sense would find it all pretty straight forwards. Sensation wise it feels a bit uncomfortable at first, but that is quite standard, and quickly subsides. As for results, although I experienced some firming around the waistline, it was quite small compared with the sort of results I get from my professional machine, but as my in-salon one was a lot more expensive than this that's not really a fair comparison! Like all treatments, no one thing works alone, and you will need to use this in tandem with exercise and dietary changes to experience full benefits.
on 13 September 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The amount that women spend in terms of both time and money on their looks is a well-known fact by now. Just ask the multi-billion pound industry or the hours of TV designed to help you pluck and tuck with/without surgery. What nearly all of the beauty products have in common is that they cost - some more than others. To get the really high end treatments you are going to have to venture forth from your home and enter the world of beauty therapy. One technique they may try on you is Ultrasound, a system where the sound breaks down the fat cells and tightens the skin. This type of therapy usually comes in a set of sessions and can cost a pretty penny. Therefore, the fact that Homedics have brought out `Ultra Slim Pro Salon Slimming at Home System', a kit that allows you to do this at home should pique some people's interests.

For all intents and purposes the `Ultra Slim Pro' is a miniature Ultrasound device that can be used in your home. At the price point `Ultra Slim Pro' have released the product at you should expect a premium device that actually works. Is this the case? In terms of working to break down fat deposits and tighten problem areas such as bum, thighs, tummy and upper arms - I can tell you, it works. After each session you feel straight away that things are a little bit tighter. However, this will revert back quite quickly over a couple of days, so regular use is in order.

The pack comes with the Ultrasound device and some gel that should go between the device and the person. It is easy to use, press the button to choose the therapy you want, how long and how powerful the massage for 8-12 minutes (a maximum of 40 mins per session). You can soon find yourself getting bored, but the ultrasound is powerful enough to distort your radio if you should have it on!

For some people the very fact that `Ultra Slim Pro' works will be enough to rush out and buy it, but I require a lot from a product sold at a premium price. Aesthetically, it is not the best looking machine; very mid-90s NHS in style. The biggest issue I had was with some of the casing starting to fall off. Where the ultrasound touches the user there is a case that surrounds the metal; this is connected with a screw. Unfortunately, the screw in my `Ultra Slim Pro' cracked the casing and as the device is used, this crack has worsened. Could this mean that gel will get in the workings? I doubt it, but for the price you pay, it is something I would not stand for. I am also suspicion of dietary devices that have rules on how to be used; hydrate yourself, no caffeine, no alcohol and gentle exercise after use. All these elements alone will work to reduce cellulite etc. So where does the healthy lifestyle begin and the `Ultra Slim Pro' end?

With some niggling issues I cannot recommend the `Ultra Slim Pro' whole heartedly, except for the fact that it works. If you are someone with the spare cash and often visit the beauty parlour for similar ultrasound treatments, then this device is a worthy home version that will do the job and save cash over time. This segment of people can push up my review to 4 stars, the rest stick to 3.