Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 July 2014
I got the regular CD by this wonderful group a few weeks ago because I noticed it had been in the charts for ages and they were headlining the John Peel stage at Glastonbury. I liked it so much (think along the lines of early Portishead but more mainstream and stronger vocals) that I went to see them and liked that so much that I just purchased the deluxe CD with the 6 extra tracks. I like these too! In fact I'd get the vinyl as well because I'm sure I'd like the richer sound but then I'd have 3 copies of the regular album which would be excessive.. can't wait for their next batch of songs.

Addendum: Just got my copy of the 4-side 45rpm vinyl album.. lovely haunting emotive sound! Can't understand the comparisons with XX and Florence Welch, these guys are in a different league.
on 4 March 2014
This is the first CD I have bought in a very long time. I saw London Grammar on the Graham Norton show a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard of them before. I have to admit that I sometimes FF through the guest singers, not because they're all bad but because I get bored. But as soon as I heard the beginning of the song I was hooked, & so research began & then I just had to have the CD, the Deluxe version no less. I'm so happy I did, although when I tried to download it on iTunes my laptop ate it ! It wouldn't play or eject, so I ended up buying it AGAIN from iTunes. It was worth it, I love listening to it, & it's been a while since l was really excited about a CD. I'm looking forward to their next album. I will admit I think of Sara McLaughlin, & Florence Welch when I'm listening to Hannah Reid, however it's not because she is a soundalike, quite simply they all have beautiful voices.
on 28 August 2015
This is a superb piece of music - when they get the mix right.
The style is simple and when the musicians play to support the excellent vocals it is truly beautiful music. But, when they go 'off piste' and move to a different approach, the actual music is very straight forward and lacks originality with the vocal style failing to keep up with the change, which is a real shame - but this only refers to the minority of the tracks on this.
Thoroughly recommended as an addition to a music collection.
on 13 September 2013
This is a quick review for the Vinyl version of this album - presumably if you are here then you will be familiar with the music of the band so I will not lecture on that :-) This is a gate-fold double LP package of good quality vinyl probably at 180 gram. Both records run at 45rpm which might seem strange but could be for quality reasons or simply that they ran out of space for a single LP? The sound quality and production is of a high standard with good stereo separation on my mid-range system. As an added bonus the package included (inside the sleeve, so hard to miss) a small business card with a code and www address for digital download. This download is I believe VBR at around a max of 256k so not the best quality but a great addition nonetheless. All in all this package is worth every penny in my opinion.
77 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2014
Well being a person deeply entrenched in my own types of music - acoustic music. i indeed read a review of (on the Telegraph's music section) of London Grammar , and was intrigued and decided to give them "a go," and i was not dissapointed.
My only criticism of London Grammar is, I do not like the sound of those what I call "pressure drums," or some kind of drum box - utilised in this recording. Indeed the female lead singer of London Grammar has an excellent voice, and i myself would put their music somewhere in the realm of This mortal Coil. London Grammar's new CD is quite simply great and well worth while buying, if like me you are intrigued by new music then give it a go. Go and treat yourself its terrific.
on 29 November 2013
really like this album and luckily going to see them tomorrow live. would definitely recommend it to people. it came very quickly and would also recommend getting the deluxe edition for the bonus tracks.
on 18 February 2014
I was looking for something different. Something with depth. My daughter put me onto London Grammar as this was what was going round at her Uni. As ever, a few listens on YouTube and there it was a cd I had to have. Hannah's voice is unique, beautiful and haunting. Very distinctive. Almost reminds me of Judie Tzuke in her tone. The cd is full of interesting songs all textually similar but very different from each other. Of course the stand out track is the one they play most often, "Strong," but this is no one song album. There is so much depth. There is intelligence in how the songs are put together. The guitar work is quite superb and yet so understated. I was lucky to buy the deluxe cd as this has extra tracks and shows other dimensions to their music. These are just as good as the album. This album is really as good as its reviews suggest. It destroys the myth that the album is dead and in future only individual songs will be bought. This is quite remarkable as a full set. Certainly one of the albums of the year.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2014
I only bought this album after I heard the cover version of wicked game on radio2.
I went online and was faced with 2 choices; pay 11 pounds for the radio 2 album or pay 7 pounds and get the London grammar album.
I opted to buy this album and since that day I have not been able to get it out of the CD player.
This is one of the bext albums I have listened to in a decade, it is there with parachutes, big calm and ok computer.
The vocals are very powerful and haunting, and most suited for the music.
This one of those albums that plays brilliantly and there is no need to skip a song. If I had record player I would have bought vynil instead of the CD.
on 20 May 2014
Not normally a fan of pop music, I wasn't expecting a lot. However, I was surprised with this one. The band has a feel very similar to the XX - minimalist melodies (with a lot of reverb). The lead singer steals the show, her voice is excellent throughout and the lyrics are abstract enough to be interesting but not inaccessible - The tracks "Wasting my Young Years" and "Strong" are good examples of this.

However, there is not a lot of variation. This is fine, but if they don't experiment musically, they will just end up rehashing what has been done here on their second offering - don't disappoint me!

Overall, a good album and reccommended
on 19 February 2014
London Grammar's album 'If You Wait' is a spectacular debut release.

We tend to use other artists as comparatives, yet it's not always an accurate measure.

I would personally say that 'If you Wait' is better than The XX's self-titled album or on par with Arctic Monkey's 'Whatever People Say I am' but it'd be all down to personal experience.

I think that Rothman's guitar and Major's percussion creates an eloquent and haunting platform in which Reid's voice soars to emotional highs. It sounds like an early and experimental album with commonly raw feeling, and yet it also has elements of refinement - as if a fourth or fifth album.

I was mesmerised by their collective talent and think it's a genre-defining moment for indie-electronic crossover.

I think they'd be hard pushed to create something so strong next time around.

Tl;dr:
4.5/5
Great album, highly recommend.