Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 9 May 2014
I have been waiting and waiting for this one, as I finished Shadows ages ago, and I completely forgot about this one coming out. So what a surprise to find it available and since September !!
So I quickly downloaded it onto my kindle and although I wanted to read it immediately, I read through from the start Ashes and Shadows again, as I wanted to make sure I remembered the stories and characters correctly.
I was not disappointed with this final book. I had loads of twists and turns, but I really enjoyed tying all the loose ends up and really getting to the bottom of each of the characters stories. I don't want to give the story away, but I enjoyed the ending and I particularly liked that there was an element of "what will happen next" but you weren't left with a feeling of disappointment. You can imagine that there could be a fourth book, without the NEED for one....so perhaps Isla J Bick will give us another story. But if she doesn't I am still happy with the ending as is....
on 28 March 2014
I really loved the first part of the Ashes series and expected good things. The second book was ok but not as good as the first as is so often the case with trilogies. I expected so much from this one but the ending was predictable, still a great read but not as good as I had hoped.
on 13 January 2014
Alex, Tom, Chris and Wolf are all back for this last instalment of the Ashes Trilogy.

I don't want to give anything away to spoil the end of the story.

I loved the first two books and couldn't wait for the final installment. I wasn't disappointed as this was an adrenalin filled finish to this brilliant dystopian trilogy.
on 11 November 2013
I enjoyed the first 2 books in the trilogy having read them in quick succession but found myself at a loss with this one, wondering who was who and whether they were good, bad or something else entirely. I'm half way through this book now and may give up on it, which is a shame. The frequent 'action' scenes are numerous and becoming boring. I suppose this happens a lot when a sequel is so long in coming, particularly when there are so many characters and where the plot is so stretched. Still, a lesson for the future... wait and buy all books in one go.
on 3 October 2013
I started to devour Monsters as soon as it was available on my kindle and to be honest found it a little hard to get into at the beginning. This was purely because I made the mistake of not read Shadows again before launching into Monsters, and there is no let up in the action from the end of the second book into this one as it continues literally seconds from where we left Alex in the mineshaft...and I like it all the more for not having a long drawn out recap before getting stuck into the action!

I read Ashes a couple of times waiting for the second and then third book to be released, and now that I have all three books on my kindle, I know that I will reread this entire series through in it's entirety many more times to come and will grow to love this series more and more. Without giving too much away, it's not a saccharine sweet ending, but then I'd have been disappointed if it was...you feel and experience the action as if you are an extra character and the ending is a real and satisfying conclusion to a great series.
on 22 August 2016
I enjoyed book one a lot, book two things started going downhill and by book three I feel like it's lost the plot. Endless nonsensical descriptive periods, and a lot of gratuitous scenes which I feel are unnecessary, I do think it has some good twists and turns along the way but too many characters and too confusing.
on 10 July 2015
If the second book sometimes I felt lost with plot, this one much easer to read because follows the line from de second book.

Overall its an excellent trilogy an I recommend to everyone who like science fiction reading.
on 24 September 2013
I jumped right into this after finishing Shadows. I enjoyed the last 2 books in this series and couldn't wait to see what would happen to the characters I came to love. Monsters is an action packed,edge of your seat, nail biting, exciting book, which I've come to expect from this series. Bick can tell a story and isn't afraid of giving a lot of description and details!! This isn't a short book by any means and took me about a week to read.
I don't know what to say that I haven't already said in my last 2 reviews so I'm going to focus on my likes and dislikes of Monsters.
What I liked :
I loved the fact that we see a lot more of Alex, Ellie and Tom. Alexs' journey is so hard and horrible that you feel so much for her. She is so strong and brave. Ellie is only a child but she has to deal with so much and misses Alex and Tom something fierce. Then there is Tom. I love his character. He is strong, brave, selfless and loyal.
I'm also happy in a way that we got to see a bit more of Peter. He wasn't my favourite but his journey captured me in Shadows because not was so heartbreaking and horrifying that I needed to see what happened with him.
I love how Back can keep the reader gripped with her writing and vivid descriptions. She created a gory, horrifying, death filled world but you have to keep reading to see what she has in store for her characters. She always throws in so many twists and turns that there's never a dull moment.
Mina was another thing I loved. She is the epitome of a loyal dog. She was wonderful!!

Now onto what I didn't like :
I didn't like the multiple POVs and I mean multiple!! It felt like everyone and their grannies got a POV. It was very confusing at times and down right annoying the rest of it. I had to reread bits to see who was talking and try to get back into their minds.
I also didn't like the fact that after waiting for an explanation of what, how, why and who made the EMPs happen we didn't get any!!!
I didn't like the fact that it took too long for the original trio so long to get back together. I understand why they didn't and that it created suspense but they came so close at times and then it didn't happen and I was like "UGH"

Overall I'm satisfied with the ending of this trilogy. I didnt love it but I didnt hate it either. It answered enough and came together but there was still things left unanswered.
It was one heck of a ride and not once did I find it boring. There is constant action, suspense and so many things happening that you are on the edge of your seat the whole time.
on 17 October 2013
I must say, after 2 previous books and the 800 pages of this one, I expected more.

Without handing out any spoilers, what I will say is that around 750 of the 800 pages mostly consists of our characters stumbling from one disaster to another. Unfortunately this isn't my idea of a plot. These never-ending and sometimes over described situations do very little in the way of developing the characters or the story, and while the action sometimes delivered the thrill of suspense, it also made the first 70% of the book feel like a filler before getting back to the heart of the story - which the author eventually seemed to lose track of altogether and I didn't know what story I was reading anymore or why.

I really enjoyed the first book of the series -not a favourite, but decent, and had mixed but mostly positive feelings about the second, so when the final instalment came out I was quite excited to see where the author would take and conclude the story...honestly, it was agonising. There was far too much of nothing, and the worst thing about it was after 800 pages I felt I knew the characters no better and had discovered nothing more about them then what I had learned by the end of the second book, their personalities were pretty much static throughout the entire book. The ending felt rushed and frankly, lazy - while I was grateful to the author for not doing some Twilight-esque love triangle that never ends - romantic or not, the ending could could have had been, and deserved to be, much more poignant. By the end, after reading about all of the characters flailing about in the snow for over 700 pages, I didn't much care about the ending or the characters anymore, I had completely lost the feel of them or any empathy I had for them, which is possibly what also happened to the author and why the ending felt so flat.

I'm actually quite sad about giving such a negative review, going by the first book alone, the story and the characters had so much potential (which is why this review is 2 stars not one). Unfortunately that never really manifested itself. In order to get closure on the story I think I'm going to have to daydream a better conclusion myself.
on 11 April 2014
"Monsters" is as terrifying as Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and as gruesome as Mario Vargas Llosa's "The Dream of the Celt". Ms Blick's study of subjugation and enslavement, ambition and treachery, survival and its components is fascinating. The novel is fast-paced, sometimes confusing, often breakneck, full of characters, plots and unexpected getaways. The fact that there are benign baddies, noble monsters and flawed heroes makes it sound clichéd, when it is anything but. Days after finishing the trilogy, I find myself reflecting on its merits whilst sitting back and watching "Apocalypse Now".