Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£8.99

on 10 March 2017
Very informative book, cant wait until my visit to South Africa.
on 1 September 2015
The content of the book is excellent - clear diagrams - highlighted text - well organised pages - useful distribution maps it worked well in Botswana and I was able to find nearly all species I encountered - However the cover fell off before I even got to use it in the field - it only seems to be stuck on in two places - not along the whoe spine - this is a thick book (33mm) and needs a stronger binding particularly as it is likely to be used outdoors there does not seem to be a way to contact the seller so this review is my way of contacting them!
review image
on 22 July 2013
I bought this book and sasol's for a trip to South Africa. I bought both as I was visiting with a friend and thought that it would be good to have two reference guides. In summary I would say that they are both first class as a field guide. My friend preferred the Sasol edition whilst I seemed to pick up Newman's first. I liked the fact that Newman's had a 'tick list' included in the index which was helpful in keeping track of many new species. Recommended.
on 30 March 2013
Lovely book, very well organised, beautiful illustrations and easy to read. I did however want a book to take with me to refer to when visiting Zambia but this one is very heavy so not suitable for this. It is an excellent book and very good value for the price.
on 8 January 2013
I'm a sometime birdwatcher, and this is a good comprehensive guide. Even now with digital photography illustrations are still twenty times better than photographs when it comes to identifying species, and this is a good example.
on 1 January 2013
I bought the third edition of Newman's Birds over 25 years ago when I worked in Malawi. It was to replace an old edition of Roberts South African Birds which didn't quite cover that area at that time. Newman's was easily the best then and looking through all the available competition it still is. The maps in the new edition are more detailed and the printing crisper. The information has changed a bit with time as it must. I enjoyed using the book and it's cover is now rather battered but it's the one I will be taking with me to the Kruger later in the year.
on 18 April 2015
Great book, but I got the Kindle version.... did not think of this beforehand, but the colours are not obvious to work out and it would be easier to identify the birds if i had the book. My own mistake
on 4 March 2016
The contents are clear and useful, but the conversion to the Kindle format has made an awkward to use product. Cross references are few and the search function to nay looke for words. There's no useful index, making the usefulness of the book very limited.
on 14 December 2016
Excellent information and ideal for taking on safari. Can safely say was used every day and most of the day too and for reference when returned home from safari.
on 15 May 2015
Excellent book I was learnt one when I visited Malawi adn South Africa anddecidedtobuy one. Came well packagedadn quickly