on 17 February 2015
Wow what can I say? I love Mark Billingham - sorry Mark i mean that I love your characters and expertise of the subject your are writing about, the way you capture my attention and imagination from start to finish, the way in which I don't want the book to end BUT I want and need to know what the outcome is.

I've said it before and no doubt will repeat myself again - I think Tom Thorne is the best. I know he's a fictional character but he is charismatic, annoying, stubborn and charming, a Spurs fan and to top it all he likes Johnny Cash. I could never get bored reading about him and how he handles his life and work.

In my mind that's the way I would define a great writer. It's the best compliment I think an author would want to hear is that a fan gets so engrossed in a story that it becomes real to them.

Excellent book and I'm just about to start number three. I can't wait.

Karrie 🌹
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2014
Okay so I know this is only my second Thorne book, but in comparison to the first book this one didn’t have as much, shall we say shine, as the first one. In the first book I was quite gripped, but with this one the first quarter of the book seemed to be quite hard going. The things I love about a series, and this one as well is getting to know characters. Thorne is actually quite a hard character to get to grips with, but I actually like him more for that reason. I’m also quite fond of his colleague Holland, and in this book we see more of him than in book 1.

This latest case involves not one but two killers and the key to it all is what they struggle with. As usual the murders themselves have an air of creepiness about them (which is always a bonus in my eyes) but the actual story felt a bit boggy. I apologise for my descriptions (this is why I am a reader and NOT a writer). Do you know what I mean though, you are enjoying it, but you just feel like its all too much effort?!?

The only other reason I didn’t enjoy this as much is that I had worked the killer out by just after the halfway mark. I know this is sometimes a sticking point for people, and sometimes it irritates me and other times not so much. I think the fact that this story was plodding rather than racing, meant I fell into the ‘irritated’ group for guessing the killer. That aside, there are flashes of genius in the writing and I can see that this series is one that I bet will improve as time goes on. Although this was just middle of the road for me I’m actually looking forward to book 3.
VINE VOICEon 1 June 2017
My third Thorne case and every bit as gripping as the others. Billingham's plots are fairly complex and sometimes I have to pause for a few moments to work out exactly how this particular thread fits in with the story so far. But that's good and makes the reading experience that much more enjoyable. It's far better than knowing what's going to happen over the next few pages.

I shall be getting onto Mr Amazon right now for the next instalment.
on 19 April 2015
Another outstanding novel that departs from the debut book in the Tom Thorne series, he's friendlier and less in control of his emotions, but the breathtaking denouement is just as good. One caveat however, the strong language is both out of character and, in my opinion un-necessary.
on 20 May 2017
Beautiful book. Incredible condition. Thrilled to find it so reasonably priced.
on 29 April 2017