1,487
Size: 64 GB|Change

on 14 May 2016
This product was sold by FirstRevDeals and fulfilled by Amazon and I am almost certain that the item I received was counterfeit.

My suspicions that something wasn't right arose when I noticed the packaging had been carefully opened at the side to allow access to the drive.

I plugged the drive in and tried copying a video file over. It seemed very slow so I decided to dig a little deeper and see what sort of speeds it was providing.

When I ran the diagnostic I was (not) surprised to see that the drive shows up as a 'generic USB device' and not a Sandisk as it should. The USB version also showed USB 2.0 only.

I ran some speed comparisons and sure enough the write/read speeds were on a par with my other USB 2.0 device, almost exactly. My USB 3 hard drive wrote almost 8 times faster.

The packaging looked legitimate and capacity was 124gb on an advertised 128gb which I would have been happy with if it was actually USB 3.

Needless to say I'm returning this for a refund and will pay a little more from an authorised seller to ensure I get a genuine copy.
review image review image review image
on 12 March 2015
SanDisk Ultra 16 GB
I will let the figures do the talking and you can decide from there.
on 19 February 2014
I bought this and a few smaller 16GB versions.

Read speeds are fine (63mb/s on average) but the write speeds are excruciatingly slow (8mb/s) - in fact my economy USB 2.0 drive beats this hands down in write tests. I also bought this under the impression the write speeds were 80mb/s as the advertising around it, even on the sandisk website leads you to this impression, they talk about transferring your files "ultra fast", they talk transfer speeds not, read / write.

I actually went onto the sandisk instant chat to get some clarity on the matter, and they are fully aware that the write speeds are dire, so much so that don't publish them and claim to sell the product "untested" to avoid having to publish it. Given they go to such extremes to market the product as "lightning fast" I've decided to report them to trading standards who will have a full copy of my chat transcript which they kindly provided after the chat.

Not that it will be a problem as I'm returning them all, but if I was to "use" these I wouldn't be able to attach them to a keyring as the body of the flash drive is made from the most lightweight and flimsy plastic I've ever seen, it reminds me of dried milk you sometimes see on your cereal bowl when left too long, just flakes away. Frankly I think it would snap just attaching it to a keyring never mind the punishment it would need to go through to stay on my keys.

All in all, terrible product, only redeeming feature is the read speeds are not bad (75% of advertised). Of course by the time you've managed to copy on anything to read, you'll probably be old and grey.

I highly recommend this product to people I don't like, everyone else should avoid like the plague.
77 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2014
There is certainly a noticeable difference in speed between this and my previous USB 2.0 SanDisk cruzer blade but on the downside there is also a noticeable difference in size.

This USB stick is one hefty brute - much longer thicker and wider than the 64gb cruzer blade. I wouldn't really mind the size when it packs the performance, but this thing is so wide that my Macbook can't accomodate anything in the second USB slot when this is plugged in which is the majority of the time when I'm doing work, which is really really annoying. Would not have bought this if I'd known it before.

It performs about 3 or 4x faster than the USB 2.0, but I am struggling to see past the technicalities of using this in a day to situation because of the issue of how wide it is.

Personally I'm gonna stick with the SanDisk cruzer blade
on 16 December 2013
I have always bought SanDisk USB Flash Drives and have never been disappointed until now. The read/write speeds are barely any faster than any of my 2.0 flash drives. I also have a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive which is at least 4 times faster.

If you are looking for a high speed 3.0 flash drive, I would recommend looking elsewhere.
on 27 January 2016
Despite having read the criticism of this product in regards to its build quality I persisted with the purchase believing the expected use as a backup data unit will be fine. Wrong!
During the first use the unit when removing from the USB port literally fell apart. It is now unusable and was returned.
I would have liked to be able to give a zero rating to reflect the utterly poor quality. The material/body is beyond flimsy and not fit for purpose. It is so poor that this USB stick should be removed from sale.
on 27 March 2016
So firstly the good points;
This USB disk although predominantly made of plastic does have a good quality feel and look about it. The £ per GB value is excellent especially for a USB 3.0 disk. I personally found the speeds acceptable, i mostly use this drive to transfer movies from my PC to my TV/media player to watch them on, i don't have to wait all that long for a few high def films to transfer and it is quick enough to play them without any stuttering, and so for my needs this drive hits the spot (namely plenty of storage, cheap and it works).

So the not so good stuff;
I really don't know what circumstances you require in order to get this drive to write at 40MB/s.. is there some overclock function i'm missing. As mentioned, i found the speeds to be generally acceptable regardless of the up to speeds suggested. Below are some benchmarks (if you can really call them that) i've done to show the read/write speeds. I formatted the drive three times in order to display the three file formats that you would consider using, and if they had any impact on read/write speeds. The left image being FAT32 and right being exFAT (making the middle, yes you guess it NTFS). Make of them what you will.
The other niggle i found was that the drive does get pretty warm after prolonged use. The specs say that it can range up to 45 degrees, but i feel like its hotter than this after a time, although without measuring it directly i'm just assuming of course.

In Conclusion; If you really do need the speed i would pay the extra and go for the Sandisk extreme. If your just looking for a cheap, high capacity flash drive with decent* speeds then this might just be what you need.
review image review image review image
on 22 December 2014
Don't quite understand other people's write speeds mine seems fine: 40-50MB/s write/150MB/s read, just a note that it's best formatting NTFS or exFAT instead of the default FAT/FAT32.
on 19 October 2015
It's OK, not fabulous, not as fast as I'd hoped and not as narrow as I needed but it got me out of a sticky situation with my Macbook Pro.
I was attempting to upgrade to OS X El Capitan on my mid 2012 Macbook Pro when the process went horribly wrong. I was stuck with a machine that refused to boot.
I needed a fast USB stick bigger than 8GB (to create a bootable recovery drive) in a big hurry so I toddled quickly off to my local PC World and grabbed one of these for £9.99.
I didn't do any research prior to the purchase, but I'd always done well with Sandisk kit in the past so I felt confident in choosing one of these.
The reality of using it is that it isn't dramatically quicker than my USB 2 sticks, which is disappointing but not the end of the world. However, something that is medium/high irritating is the width of the thing. I have two USB ports on my MB and the spacing is tight-ish but not unusual, and given that my machine is over 3 years old and has been sold vast numbers it's a surprise to find that this memory stick actually overlaps the second USB port next door.

I can't use the second USB port with this stick is plugged in. (Yes, I could use a USB3 hub but I don't have one, nor did I need one prior to the purchase).

Measured by my digital calipers the black plastic body width is 21.5mm, 10.2mm thick and 57mm long with the plug retracted. The width appears to be purely for cosmetic reasons.

Two stars are detracted for the style-over-substance approach and thoughtless design not fitting the insanely high volume selling Apple Macbooks. So I'm taking it back to PC World (wish me luck).
on 11 January 2014
Dreadful write speed. Read speed OK. Shouldn't be sold as USB3.0 device. I've bought a lot of Sandisk gear but this has made me think twice about the brand. Poor show.