Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

I'm loving how small parts of the previous books and also the Star Trek Voyager series comes together bringing in species new and old. Looking forward to reading the continuation of the series in the next book.
on 20 March 2014
As soon as this book arrived I could not put it down as all the story lines from 'The Eternal Tide' came rushing back into my mind with almost feverish excitement!
Now I get they this is a slower pace of novel that unfolds over a matter of months so it exposes a lot of developments especially for Admiral Janeway, Seven of Nine, The Doctor as well as Tom & B'Lanna.
It all highlights how far this crew has struggled to be a family and Kristen Beyer is steering the story excellently, more please!
on 10 March 2017
Given 5 stars for the love of Voyager but I haven't actually read it yet! I'm in the process of re-watching ST:V (up to season 5), and would love to read tie-in books. Can any one tell me what order I should read them in? Do they all start after season 7 or can I read any of them before I finish season 7?
Thanks in advance guys :o)
on 23 February 2014
It's book four of Kirsten Beyer's re-relaunch of Star Trek Voyager following the events of the series finale, the first relaunch and the complicated inter-twined novels around the Destiny trilogy. Although the authors say that each book can be read alone, there are a lot of references here to previous novels and I think they would be frustrating and baffling to a reader who hadn't been keeping up.

The story feels reminiscent of the author's earlier book Full Circle, with two parallel plot lines following different characters - one more action packed and one more emotional and character driven. The latter was the one that I found most engaging. It's hard to say much about it without dropping spoilers.

The 'main' plot, on Voyager itself, sees the ship investigating a distress signal. There are some interesting science fiction concepts roaming around, but I didn't really feel they were explained in a way that I could really visualise what was happening. The technobabble throughout, but particularly near the beginning, actually distracted me from the plot and felt like it had been picked at random rather than even trying to sound like it was making sense.

The book is meant to be the first part in a trilogy, but as a stand alone I felt there was something missing - it almost subscribes to what I've described before as 'middle-book syndrome', where everything that happens seems to just be reshuffling characters into the place they are wanted for the following book.

Overall though it was enjoyable to visit these characters again and see where they are going next. There's a lot clearly been set up for the future, and if you want to keep reading, then this is a vital book in the series.
on 22 April 2014
I always thought it a bad decision when Janeway was killed in an earlier book in this series. I'm not sure novelizations of TV series should do this - although of course it can happen within the series, as with Dax in DS9. I also thought that the resurrection of Janeway in the last book was very contrived - with one bound Jack was free etc. However the series has moved on, and I think it's good that Beyer is addressing the psychological issues surrounding Janeway's return. The characters are well realised and the story is interesting. Look forward to how it develops.
on 18 March 2016
Buyers done it again!
Protectors is the 5th book since Kirsten Beyer took over the relaunch and it's just as good as it's predecessors.
Simply put Kirsten Beyer writes incredible Star Trek, and in her novels, you'll see the Voyager we should have seen on TV
on 28 January 2017
This book tackles the psychological issues behind the last book and does it in such an excellent way that it really gives the readers food for thought. The story is taken in a new direction without forgetting how they got there. Overall, a recommended read.
on 30 March 2014
Anything written by Kirsten Beyer and to do with Star Trek Voyager is bound to be good...this did not disappoint. I look forward to her next book :)
on 22 September 2015
Very much enjoyed reading about the continuing lives of the Voyager crew...well written and a must read for all loyal Voyager fans ;)
on 22 March 2014
Good story filler, linking to voyagers past, the combat scenes were a little snort lived but otherwise an interesting development.