Customer reviews

on 17 July 2014
This was one of our book club choices & I was very sceptical. However, I was pleasantly surprised at both the fantasy side & the factual, historical side. It makes me want to go to Crystal Palace & have a mooch about! An ingenious setting for a 'ghost' story & I loved the historical facts interwoven between the chapters.
on 21 December 2014
A strange amalgam (every alternate chapter) of a very well informed account of Thomas Webster Rammell and his Pneumatic Railway, and a rather contrived fantasy based on skeletons seeking peace in Crystal Palace Park. In reality there never was a buried carriage in the Park. But good to see any promotion of TWR!
on 12 March 2014
This is a darned good read. I found it a little bit slow to start with, but soon got caught up in the story. It is a great amalgam of history, folklore and the paranormal. I like Victorian history anyway and this takes the basics of real history and blends it with mystery. I look forward to more by this author.
on 25 June 2014
This book has the lot, real focus on characters and why they do what they do, a hurtling, complex plot line, a brilliant inteerweaving with real history and places. I really enjoyed every moment of it. It transcends its steampunk genre to become a universal comment on ambition and human choices. David Braid
on 7 June 2014
This book is fascinating and well written. It would be impossible to say what connects my liking for cheese and chocolate other than milk in the same way that the only connection to my liking of Tom Brown's book's Strange Air and So Long Shakespeare seems to be this most engaging author.
on 21 April 2014
I like the dual aspect of this book. Both stories inevitably concluding together and then going a little further too. A mixture of local history, time travel and mild horror. Very cleverly woven together, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. Recommended.
on 28 February 2014
A great read with an unusual story line. I loved the fact that you could not see where the story was heading and the ending was not as I had expected which was great. I will look for more story' s by this author.
on 4 January 2014
I enjoyed this boom a lot, although not being mechanically minded I struggled at times with the more engineering relevant section. Good story though and well worth a read.
on 21 March 2015
The right title for a weird book. Couldn't get into it. Others might,but wasn't for me. If I Carney get into a book by chapter 2 I know I won't like it
on 8 March 2014
Odd (as not my usual genre) but pleasing. An alternate history with a dose of the supernatural.

I enjoyed the book, definitely worth a read.