on 2 January 2014
I did not expect to like this book but enjoyed it so much I had to slow down and make it last. we have all felt we should be out having adventures instead of getting on working and raising a family. This women went and did it.
on 30 December 2013
some interesting insights into life in small towns of West Africa but too much information about a self obsessed insecure American woman who seems to travel to 'cure herself'
on 15 October 2014
I enjoyed this book although it is not so much a journey through west Africa as a journey of self discovery for the author with descriptions of places and people thrown in.
on 13 June 2014
I have personally travelled extensively in South Africa and bordering countries so I picked this book for those reasons and I did throughly enjoy it. i would recommend it.
on 29 December 2013
a must read for all lady travellers who love Africa, you will be with Nina every step of the way. She demonstrates how experiences in childhood effect our adult life.
on 24 March 2014
It brought to life what it might be like to travel beyond Morocco on the road to Timbuktu and gave an insight into all we really need in life.
on 31 December 2013
I was attracted by Africa but the book was all about herself and her confusion and the few people she meets along the way. Pretty grim part of Africa, barren, inhospitable with little habitation. Clearly somewhere to be avoided.
At the time she was there it was relatively peaceful with only rumblings of trouble but since then it has erupted with the Islamic threat and suggestions it will be the new Al Qaeda front.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed the read and now know a bit more about that part of Africa.
on 5 October 2014
Very good book.but because I am disabled I could not have read more.but I well when I am bater
on 22 June 2015
Not just a travel book but a coming to terms with disquiet feelings from childhood and newly married in slightly alien Paris finding ,adjusting ,challenging ,pushing herself through her travels through West Africa a challenge in its self .....so enjoyed this book
on 12 January 2014
Easy to read.
A wonderful way of blending in genuinely interesting travel writing with a rarely self-indulgent reflection of her life. I can relate to her story at several points (though, not sure if that is simply because I am a women of a similar age!).