Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 May 2005
For some reason, the excellent Foreign Affair, featuring vocals by Maggie Reilly, isn't included on the album's tracklisting, though there is a reference to it on the CD booklet. Puzzling.

Moonlight Shadow is the track most people know, as it was released as a single. Foreign Affair wasn't - at least, not in the UK - but its insistent metronome rhythms later saw it adopted by the rave generation. In my view, would have made a great one-off 7-inch at the time the album was released. Oh well. In any case, this album is a stimulating and varied listen, even if the title track is a bit sub-Pink Floyd.
on 13 October 2013
I bought this album on vinyl when it was first released in 1983. I was already a fan of "Tubular Bells" but didn't know any of Mike's other work until I stumbled across "Crises" at my local record store. After a couple of listens I was hooked, so I went out to discover what other albums he had released and bought them all. Since then I have purchased everything he has done. The title track is one of the most beautiful instrumentals of all time. I still have memories of driving towards the snowfields of Mt. Kosciuszko National Park whilst listening to "Crises" through the car stereo, it just seemed to fit the occasion so well with its mysterious and haunting sound.
on 21 March 2012
One of the best albums of Mike Oldfield. And we are talking about Mike Oldfield here, so you know it is brilliant. My guess this album will be remastered soon. But if I were you I would not take chances and wait for that. Just buy your copy while it is still possible.
on 13 August 2011
No-one quite manages to divide opinions like Mike Oldfield. Crises is a very well regarded album by many of his fans but I have to say that for me it falls some way short of my expectations after all I had read about it. Now please note this is only my personal opinion but I just felt this was a very average offering from MO that was rescued by two superb tracks ...namely Shadow On The Wall and Moonlight Shadow. The vocals of Maggie Reilly on Moonlight Shadow propelled MO into the charts and Roger Chapman gave a viruoso (almost Feargal Sharkey-esque) performance on Shadow On The Wall, which still gets regular airplay on Planet Rock radio station. Crises did mark a noticeable change in style for MO and I have to confess this is a good album but in my own opinion it was easily surpassed by the 1984 follow up album Discovery, which has 8 stonking tracks on it. Its all about opinions i guess, people don't just dip into MO on a whim, its usually because they have been tempted by something such as Tubular Bells being played as a soundtrack or may have heard the odd single on the radio ...so chances are you will be buying this CD because you are a bit of an MO fan already. For me this isn't his best, but I am still glad I bought it and I would have given it three and a half stars if that was possible.
on 16 October 2013
Mike Oldfield's project of remastering and repackaging his body of work has entered an epic phase with this massive boxed, deluxe edition. This 5 disc edition contains the by now usual remastering of the original release, added rarities, CDs and DVDs of concerts and video clips.
This release may not instantly make you a Mike Oldfield fan, but any Mike Oldfield fan will instantly want it.
on 27 September 2013
I remember buying this way back in 1983 and still got that slightly worn vinyl, was around this time I started collecting music. This Album was one reason I started to get in to music in a big way and now to finally get one of my favourite albums on re-Digital to this high stand and with a lot of bonus too many to mention.

The opening track and title track in my own opinion is up there with the classic "Tubular Bells" it has everything to love about. Even to most Oldfield fans Moonlight shadow is one that was played to death but in the many formats it comes in on this set re-lights it to a new sort of yeah! that's why it was such a big hit.

"Taurus" has always been a favourite of mine but the "Pt.3" here on this album has always been my favourite and now it is even better a classic Oldfield of old sort of song.

"Shadow on the wall" adds that true Rock feel.

The extra bonus are a real plus, it has been well worth the wait for and thank you to Mike Oldfield for putting this personally together for his die hard fans and sounds amazing on a great set up of course played loudly.

My opinion a must for Hi-Fi fans to have to hold and cherish and play a lot.
on 10 November 2013
Although not my favourite Mike Oldfield album, this boxed set has everything you want. B-Sides, 12" singles, unreleased live recordings and the full album in 5.1.
And of course re-mastered by the master himself. How all boxed sets should be.
on 14 March 2001
Yeah! This is good! Very Very Good!
It commences with a reprisal of the tubular bells theme and ends with a kind of cool jarring rock song. It has the full Oldfield range.
A definite must for any Oldfield fan.
on 12 May 2008
Mike's music never ages, even if the generous use of synths on Crisis points to the 80s. Every Oldfield album seems to have a technological edge to it which for me makes them a joy to listen to. Starting with a simple and perhaps irreverent tune, the layers of music build and interweave before a moody and seriously catchy title melody `Crises'. At this point I'm aggressively nodding my head - excellent stuff. Again more clever tunes with a dark edge juxtaposed with some gloriously sweet melodies carried by Mike's guitar. The layers of music build once again before a stirring finale which ends with appropriate abruptness followed by a reprise of the simple tune as an after-thought. The title track reminds me of the Taurus suite which again is excellent. Side Two contains some of Mike's best ever vocal tracks, Moonlight Shadow and the wonderfully moody and catchy Shadow on the Wall. Another great Oldfield album you will keep returning to.
on 15 September 2010
Different, creative, a wonderful fusion of eighties electronica and the masterful Mike Oldfield and with superb guest vocalists including Jon Anderson and the beautiful voice of Maggie Reilly who sings the one main hit - moonlight shadow but also the dreamily smooth foreign affair , been meaning to buy this for a while and it did not dissapoint, thoroughly recommended - dont leave this album out of your music collection.