on 8 August 2011
Primal Origin is a short story that reads like a prequel for a longer work, or perhaps the intro to a serialized novel. The basics of the plot are that Vance and Ice, two CIA operatives and former soldiers are in the UAE, tracking a potential terrorist cell. Their efforts have been frustrated by all the red-tape put in place by US officials who are more interested in the flow of oil than in terrorist plots. But things come quickly to a head when a key piece of information falls in their lap.
The author claims to have a history in military intelligence, but then there are already a number of high profile writers out there with similar backgrounds that are doing really well. The action and the banter comes across as authentic, but could probably be replicated by anyone addicted to action movies and Call of Duty games. The plot isn't too involved and the story was a lot shorter than it could have been. The constant reference to 'jihadist' as a place-holder for terrorist fits in with the Islamophobic attitude in the American military as portrayed by the media. The quality of writing is good and this makes fine light-reading for anyone into this genre of fiction.

By Noor A Jahangir
The Changeling King (The Trollking Saga)
on 30 March 2013
So the other day i was bored, I had a quick look on Amazon and noticed this novella, PRIMAL Origins going cheep, figured might as well.

An I am glad that I did because from start to finish this is a thrilling half hour worth of reading that blow me away exceeding all of my expectations.

The plot is very basic, two CIA men on the hunt of a group of terrorists and then the hunters become the hunted but in this case basic isn't a bad thing. This book is action flick, its like a one of those bad 1980's movies you love to hate with action from the start to the end. My only slight criticism would be that I felt the two lead characters Vance and Ice where playing to the gun-ho Rambo stereotype but for a short story I guess there isn't much room for character development. In my mind's eye i pictured these two guys like Swarchenegger and Stallone shooting up the bad guys like the old movies that I love so i can forgive the stereotype in such a short book but i hope to see further character development in coming books.

All in all worth the pennies that its going to cost and defiantly worth a quick read on the train to work.

Now I am off to go read the next instalment, PRIMAL Unleashed.
on 17 December 2014
Vance a CIA operative who was fed up with not being able to take out the bad guys because their country had oil, finally had enough and took. Up the offer to start a new organization that goes for the bad guys no matter what they have or who they are. It's called PRIMAL and that says it all really. It is just st as the name suggests, PRIMAL and deadly. Can't wait for next one.
on 1 April 2014
Jack writes a good story. It pulled me in and kept me entertained as it should. When I got to the end I was disappointed because I bought it a while back and forgot it was a short story. However, that said I just peeked and there's a load more out there. So, well done, Jack - another fan here. I will be reading them all.
on 4 October 2014
primal origin: Purchased this based on the positive reviews and the subject. Not quite finished reading it yet but at about half way I can report its a well written thriller. The subject matter is current and obviously well researched by the author. I'm now considering purchasing the next book.
on 15 January 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed the first outing of the primal, the plot was fast pace and engaging and kept me want to read more, i finished the book in under a day because the plot was rich and the characters thoroughly engaging. Look forward to the next books of this series.
on 11 October 2012
Some of the other reviewers have already mentioned Tom Clancy, and I would certainly agree that if you liked Clancy you will love Jack Silkstone's "Primal" series. It's a real romp, with good stories and well-written characters that demand no greater a level of disbelief-suspension than any other work in this genre.

Key is that you end up caring about the good guys, wishing unpleasant ends on the bad guys, and you will most assuredly want to know what happens next.

Don't expect Silkstone to appear on a Booker Prize or Pulitzer shortlist anytime soon, but if you want to be thoroughly entertained for a few hours, buy the Primal books. You probably won't stop until you have read them all.
on 10 September 2012
I received a twitter request from Jack last week and very glad I was too! I usually look at fantastic fiction for all my books but the Origin Series are not there. Primal Origin is a short story and just enough to wet your whistle, I enjoyed the way they did surveillance before just rushing in as some authors miss out on this, it was full of explosive violence and was a great lads read. I finished Origin last night (it is a short read) and downloaded the next one and a full book this morning, I feel sure that the three books for under ten pounds is an absolute bargain. I'm looking forward to finding out what Vance, Ice and the rest of the Primal Team get up to. Thanks Jack, keep up the good work.
on 18 January 2014
This is an almost believable lightweight mix of Thunderbirds, Airwolf, and the A team, in which a group of guys goes around the globe bumping off the bad guys who have slipped through the cracks in the law.
on 18 October 2014
Very good reading, the action flows from one page to the next keeping your attention to the very end. This looks as if it could turn out to be a very good series of books.