on 4 February 2016
This is the first book I have read in the series, but if the others are as good I shall definitely be reading them. Loads of action, international travel, lost count of the deaths, gory descriptive scenes, great characters. All in all a book to recommend. Get it, and I guarantee you won't be able to put it down.
on 13 July 2014
This was my first foray into military thrillers and I was very surprised that I enjoyed it!
It was fast enough to maintain my interest but not so fast that I couldn't connect with the characters.
I am looking forward to seeing how Jack Silkstone developes characters especially Vance and Bishop as I'd like to see more of their inner vulnerable selves
on 27 January 2016
aaa
on 8 October 2014
Very poor offering. Constant build up, but little action. Gave it a chance, but eventually gave up to it after about 200 pages!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 January 2013
This - Jack Silkstone's debut - is certainly a credible techno thriller, with a focus on special forces type operations. The author's background definitely provides both credibility in terms of being knowledgeable on the topics discussed, as well as on some of the 'lingo' used (even if the latter may not be to everyone's taste). For a debut novel he also manages a fair pace throughout and it is certainly not hard to read.

The book deals with a non governmental outfit meting out punishment to the guilty, or put differently, getting involved where governments would fear to thread due to political concerns. Be it Third World warlords, drug or arms dealers, or any other unsavoury characters, all are possible candidates for PRIMALs (the organization in question) attention.

In 'Unleashed' the main story revolves around securing some former Soviet WMDs do not fall into the wrong hands. The action, mainly centered around Aden Bishop, a former Australian lieutenant, Saneh, an Iranian agent, Mirza, a former Indian SF operative and Dostiger, an Ukrainian arms dealer largely takes place in Afghanistan and the Ukraine, with some small detours to Sierra Leone, Spain, a tropical island HQ of the group and Istanbul.

In keeping with the techno spirit, the team definitely needs some cool sounding / looking weaponry and gadgets and the author augments this by hyperlinking the names to Wikipedia pages, so as to help the more 'novice' followers of the genre along. Some choices seem to exist more for reasons of diversity and novelty value, rather than sound reasoning but overall I feel the balance is pretty good on that front.

While the protagonists - at least the good ones - are capable of both bleeding and dying, there is certainly something of an omnipotence about them, which may make the book more appealing to some readers in a 'we rock' kind of way but also significantly less appealing to others, who may well raise eyebrows at the collection of heroes contained in the pages.

One area where I feel the author could do a better job is in wrapping the book up. The last 20% or so seem very rushed, as if there was a fixed page allocation and way too many points to wrap up. So the pace is upped and the quality subsequently suffers in my opinion - sacrificed at the altar of a quick resolution.

The characters would benefit from some more development, as well. While this may evolve over time, there was certainly opportunity in the debut to give them a tad more colour than they received. The romantic story is also somewhat forced in my opinion and given the target audience, probably unnecessary in this context.

So overall a solid debut of a book akin to Rainbow Six : in some ways and certainly something techno thriller afficionados are likely to enjoy. While a good page turner per se, I am still not sure, if I will go for the follow-ups.
on 13 December 2011
I have read the short story of PRIMAL:Origins and enjoyed it but felt there was something 'missing'. I then read the first 5 chapters of PRIMAL:Unleashed for free, and got into the story and the characters big time.
I have now finished PRIMAL:Unleashed and feel I can comment on this good read.
I enjoy Jack Silkstone way of writing, and feel his characters will develop as Jack continues to write.
There were parts of the book where I thought Jack had borrowed from action movies and Thunderbirds, but as I have no knowledge of current military technological advancements, Jack may be closer to the truth than anyone knows as he has 'been there done that'.

Likes:
I got involved with the characters, and hoped that they would all get though their various missions, and I genuinely felt sad when some didn't make it. I got a sense of what the characters were going through by the detail Jack was giving in the book, and I understood the big undertaking of the missions.
Dislikes:
I cannot stand the name of the support plane, and the way it is spoken about gives it a 'hoo-rah,semper fi' American feel about it whereas the features of the plane was designed by a British character (Mitch)and I personally think it should have had a more British flavour to its name.

The above dislikes are in no way a criticism of Jacks writing, just a personal view.

I will continue to support Jack Silkstone and the PRIMAL series of books, it is a fascinating concept and I would like to see the bad guys getting their butts kicked once and for all!
on 7 March 2016
Couldn't put this series down highly recommend
on 1 March 2017
Really good book kept you interested all the way through bit far fetched but really kept you intrigued really enjoyed
on 15 November 2011
This book has a lightning fast pace that grabs the attention of the reader and pulls them along the journey that is PRIMAL! If I was to liken Silkstone to any other writer, it would be Tom Clancy. Silkstone has not only a very good grasp on military hardware, which not only makes the story more realistic and believable, but he has a writing style that pulls the reader into his dangerous world of espionage, counter insurgency and sudden violence. Good story flow and excellent attention to detail. Highly recommended!
on 14 October 2014
The moment I completed 'PRIMAL Origins' I didn't waste any time and bought this second instalment.

All I can say is 'Wow!' Kudos to Jack Silkstone who has skilfully crafted yet another fine, inspiring action-packed military adventure.

There are no spoilers in this review, suffice to say that readers will not be disappointed; as you read about the atrocities of war and applaud a team who courageously tackle head-on the evil perpetrators of violent war crime. This time, Bishop and PRIMAL's newest recruit Mirza lead the story of honour and strength through knowledge, teamwork and collaboration.

This book is all about justice and the protection of the innocent so it is a very satisfying read. As with the first book in the series, it is certainly not for the faint-hearted, but no more horrific than some of the headlines that have hit the world news in recent times.

As with 'PRIMAL Origins' the key scenes are described in graphic detail so the reader is put slap-bang in the centre of the action. The pace is always fast and furious and the brilliantly written action scenes are akin to a Hollywood blockbuster action movie.

In summary: Yet another fantastic read and a well deserved 5 stars indeed!