on 15 December 2013
I found the read to be easy to follow, it gives you the basics of how to start out in the app business. I found the book ultimately informative and it gives the inspiration you need to change your life. THIS isn't a book for you if you are just trying to make millions overnight. This book goes into how to start up an app business and keep it going for the long haul and it's lonnnnnggggg process.
on 2 July 2013
I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about making apps, as I would love to have my own business making apps. There is huge opportunity here, but I'm really aware of putting money into it and then failing and losing money. I've just read this book by Elaine Heney and this is the best and most practical step by step information I've come across so far! The book goes through how to start out with a low risk approach, and how to avoid making mistakes and learning the hard way what NOT to do. It takes you through everything from the all important question of what apps to make, how to find a great developer (and how to avoid the bad ones), all the way to outsourcing all the 'busy work' so that you can work 'on' your business and not 'in' it. Which means freedom, and the lifestyle we all dream of! This book has finally given me the confidence to start becoming an app developer, it is totally inspiring and I can't wait to get started! Highly recommended!
on 2 July 2013
I've written already on Amazon.com, but for some reason reviews are not linked all over the Amazon board, which is very odd.

I bought this book, because I was thinking of quiting my job and start living from apps. I did my research and was a bit put off by everything behind the scene, and when I saw that this app developer had a book about this published , i needed to have it, and it is as good as her apps. She shows you the pitfalls, and gives great tips. I will be a hard push, but I'm going for it, thanks to this book.
on 18 October 2013
Great book, if only the author actually explained in plain English what she's talking about! She uses way too much insider language and assumes the reader already knows what she means - why would you need the book if you already knew this stuff?? Reskinning, monetisation methods...and that's just on one page!! And, some examples of her own first apps would have been good - what constitutes a 'simple app'??
Love her general concept though, and I do think it's worth reading if the app market is interesting to you...maybe as a general overview of the area rather than an in depth guide to how to go about it.
on 7 November 2014
Took me about an hour to read. There's a lot of stuff about work/life balance that is better covered off in other books, including the Four Hour Work Week, which Elaine references. All the stuff about hiring and firing is done well there.

What is completely missing is any sort of detail about how to use the various platforms, or any Ferriss-like data on how much you might expect to make from an app. She recommends skinning a game to start with. So how much might you spend on the code, how much on the graphics, and what can you expect to earn from one of the two ad providers she recommends? She doesn't say.

Having actually submitted an app to Apple, I think there is also a lot more she could have covered to help the first-time submitter. She has, after all, published over 150 apps, and implies that submission for beginners is really hard. So why not help us?

She covers getting graphic artists to do artwork, but completely ignores the minefield of all the different versions and resolutions required for all the various platforms and devices. It would have been great to have a definitive list we could have taken to our designer.

I get the feeling that maybe we are supposed to sign up to her app university for all this. But without any real meat, this book isn't more than a well-written preamble to the subject. It's not expensive. But it could have been so much more. And I would have preferred to pay full price for all of Elaine's experience, rather than pay a little, but just get the introduction.
on 17 September 2014
How on earth did this get so many good reviews? Well, the author is pretty much a self-professed expert at rigging these kinds of things so maybe that has something to do with it.

I just read this book in less than ten minutes. It is about 5% useful info, the rest either common sense or complete fluff about why the author chose to quit her job and how great her life is now. Seriously, there are pages full of this stuff.

Maybe this book is good is you're an absolute numpty who knows nothing about app development or running a business. For someone like me who's an experienced developer but needs info on the marketing side it is utterly useless.

Oh well, only a couple of quid wasted and I guess I'll claim the VAT back - on to the next one...
on 2 July 2013
Really informative book. Great read for anyone thinking of getting into the app business. Lays out everything you would need to consider. You'd easily pay many times more to get this information elsewhere. Really psyched up now!
on 3 July 2013
A must have if you're starting out in the app business...from a real person with real ooommfff!
The book gets you going with the essentials, no hype or promises, just the plain truth. Great intel!
on 4 July 2013
I love reading about determination, self belief and success. This book is great and highly motivational for those who seek a better lifestyle and who are willing to make a difference. Making apps is something I aspire to do well, and Elaine's book will definitely make a massive difference to the way I approach this. Highly recommended for serious appreneurs....
on 4 July 2013
This book provides a great insight into app developing. Elaine has done all the hard work and walks you through the whole process of creating your own apps and the pitfalls to avoid. Would recommend also checking out her blog and her courses on Udemy, a definite must for anyone interested in app developing.