on 18 October 2017
This was a book I didn't want to finish and I am already eagerly looking to see what more Mr Griggs wrote before his sad early death. The book is exciting and rhetorical, beautifully but unpretentiously written with such keen observation. I know he would have been a lovely man to know. I would recommend you read this.
on 11 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was. A who done it and I did not have a clue who did it until right at the end.
on 27 January 2014
Written in the first person I found I had a liking for Michael. He is, though, not without fault. I enjoyed the story to the end and really felt I knew the characters, so well described and brought to life. My first T D Griggs book. Don't think it will be the last.
on 18 February 2014
This book isn't likely to get your heart racing if you like pact thrillers where the murders come thick and fast. But if you are looking for a book that slowly builds on the complexity of the characters as each chapter evolves, then look no further. In addition to the characters, the descriptions of places around the UK give a sense of familiarity. I cannot recommend the book enough to thoughtful readers.
on 7 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book. Lovely descriptive writing. Good story line and keeps you turning the pages over again and again.
on 27 March 2014
This book has held my interest right the way through to the last page. The twists in the plot just kept the pages turning.
on 12 November 2013
The End of Winter is a skilfully woven crime thriller of such quality that I was delighted to have at last found a writer capable of holding my interest from start to finish, it was quite simply enthralling.
So determining to read something else from this excellent newly discovered author it was with genuine shock and sadness that I learnt he had died just a few weeks ago.
Such a tragic loss.
22 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2013
Whilst it bumbles in a few places and meanders slightly too much in parts, this is a tale well told. Pointing out classic mis-steps just to draw you in, this tale is masterfully told and had me going til the end, even when obvious. Several of the characters are wonderfully defined, apart from, strangely the main protagonist whose reactions and actions are sometimes a little 'basic'.

In all, a good read
on 19 October 2013
Fantastic page turner of a crime novel which kept me guessing right to the end. The characters were really three-dimensional and a leap away from the cast of many crime novels. The story centres around a roving surgeon who describes himself as "in the rescue business". His past pushes him into far-flung places with Medecins Sans Frontieres alongside his work in a London hospital.
He returns home early from a trip to find his wife dead on the stairs of their house. The story flashes from past to present in a seamless way showing his motivations and relationship with his wife as well as putting together how and why she was savagely killed and what he didn't know about her.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 January 2014
This is such a sad yet bittersweet story. There is no great hope of a happy ending, not only is Michael’s dearly loved wife dead, but it appears that she was in the process of leaving him at the time she died. As he seeks the answers to his questions about her death, he also has to face up to his own questions about their relationship and if it was as perfect as he thought it was. Obviously it wasn’t, but was it as bad as it suddenly appears?
It seems that a great deal of the minutiae which detailed Michael’s life was not as it seemed, was that because people sought to protect him from the truth or because he just didn’t bother to look? On the surface, Michael appears to be an everyday hero, but dig a little deeper and he is a complex man, who is blind-sided by the things he discovers . . .starting with his dying wife.
This story takes you on a journey alongside Michael, one which turns full circle and brings him back to a form of reassurance. I loved the ending of the story with its hope for the future and especially the envelope from an woefully underrated man, who sees much but says little. What he does have to say is wiser than one might first think and never more so than when he says nothing at all.

I found this to be a brilliant novel which I was totally hooked on and finished in the span of a day. It is well worth the time to read it,