Customer reviews

Chatma
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 October 2013
Touareg music, desert rock or blues call it what you will this is a brilliant recording. I have a large collection of African music and find some of the drone based music from the Sahara a bit repetitive. Whilst of the same genre this music is utterly listenable and had my feet tapping away and me totally focused on their interesting sound. It's well worth buying. The guitar has a nice bite to it and the studio recording has been well done so the different instruments come through clearly. I heard this on my monthly Songlines World music sampler CD and it absolutely stood out from the 20 or so other artists on it. So I bought it and immediately was hooked - and it gets better after a few listenings as you get familiar with it. I suspect that this is one of the best CDs in its genre...I found it much more accessible than some of Tinariwen's music. You can also try a Sahara band called Terakaft. But this CD is the one to judge all others by....
14 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2016
Hypnotic, pulsating desert blues - the guitar sound is infectious. Tamikrest (founded in 2006) have built on the Mali and Tuareg blues foundations laid by Ali Farka Touré and Tinariwen, This, their third album, contains a mix of gritty, uptempo rock blues (tracks, 1, 2 , 5 and 8), rock-steady grooves (track 7) and influences of , reggae (track 3), Knopfler (track 4), Gilmour (track 6) and contemplative blues (tracks 9 and 10). Highly recommended - as are Ezza, another 'new wave' desert blues group who performed a blistering set at Womad 2015.
on 4 November 2014
I love the Saharan sounds of the better Toureg bands such as Tinariwen and Terakaft, However, this goes above and beyond all of those great musicians. Even if this style of music is not to your taste, the sheer musical ability of this band and the blend of loping camel-train rhythms with solid western-style rock may well turn you on to a treat. I defy anyone not to be deeply moved and not to keep at least your feet still - if not your entire body! Exotic and thrilling -amazing stuff.
One person found this helpful
on 19 June 2015
Fantastic music..... It takes you to another world you never suspected existed. I have very eclectic tastes in music, from Opera to Jazz and just about everything in between. Jazz is really my favorite, but this CD rates high on my list. Love it!
on 20 October 2013
This is my third Tamikrest CD and they keep getting better. Excellent recording, beautiful music and guitars - who's been listening to David Gilmour, I wonder - great voices, and more accessible and tuneful than Tinawiren IMHO. It's all very subjective, I know, but this will get inside your head and not let go! I love it!
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 18 February 2016
The best ' desert rock album for both them and the genre in my opinion. They have fantastic style and expression and the translations are very moving.
on 16 January 2014
Great album that really blows the cobweb off any doubts that they were a one album wonder. There is a lot of great music out there just now that is pushing boundaries. What's great about this band is they way in which they can push boundaries using just the basic instruments.

I guess some people will compare them with Tinawiren but they are not quite as purist.
on 16 May 2014
Brilliant album from a talented band that i heard late night on R3. Great guitar work but i love the singing.
on 27 December 2013
Some great Touareg rhythms (I assume) but some cracking electric and acoustic guitar work.
This really is a tight band.
on 31 July 2015