• AM

Format: Audio CD|Change

Arctic Monkeys are a fantastic band, and unbelievably, they have surpassed themselves. This is their best yet.

There is a tendency for highly original bands like R.E.M., The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and also The Arctic Monkeys, to steadily refine their music, ironing out rough punk edges and (unfortunately) also losing some of their original character in the process. This results in a blander, less harsh, less funny, more commercial sound, which is easier to listen to, and appeals to a much wider audience.

In the end, the process can refine out almost everything that made the band so special in the first place. The Arctic Monkeys have definitely not yet reached that plateau -- I would say that this album is the perfect combination of originality, energy and yet accessibility. That seems to be reflected in the title they've given the album.

"Favourite Worst Nightmare" was a tour de force, but got mixed reviews. Arctic Monkeys' brand of fast, furious rock with an almost live-in-the-club sound was not for everyone. On this new album they have slowed the pace, brought in some great melodies, and polished the arrangements. It will definitely appeal to a wider audience.

The surging energy of tracks like "I Want It All" and "One For The Road" are classical Arctic Monkeys rock, while "Do I Wanna Know," "R U Mine" and "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High" are variations on the same set of musical phrases (all very addictive, will not get out of your head.) Overall, the album offers their most appealing collection of numbers yet. This is an album full of terrific songs, not a dud among them. A great band at the very peak of their power.

Highly recommended.
on 3 March 2014
This albums thumps and grinds in swirl of rock and roll. The beats, the hooks, the bass-line catches you from the beginning on a rip-roaring ride. Lyrically this is an album filled with clever phrasing from a decidedly Northern and working class perspective, which explores those in-between relationship events, such as staying at a party in someone's house in the hope of getting off with them at the end of the night or phoning your loved one when you've had a few too many drinks. In this aspect the lyrics recall Pulp at their best, when the listener can identify with the thoughts and feelings of the narrator, and there is no trite cliche here. The melodies take you into unexpected corners and I often wondered how Alex Turner remembers all those words! I can't get those dirty riffs out of my head and I have been listening to this obsessively ever since I bought it. My only regret is having it on my wish list for months before I took the plunge. Buy it and buy it NOW!!!
on 9 September 2013
Yes, I know many would gasp at the idea of any Arctic Monkeys album being better than their incredible debut. But that soundtrack of teenage life in early 21st century Sheffield is now more than 8 years old, and times and the band have moved on. Although that album is still one of my all-time favourites, this album shows just how much this band have evolved from the incredibly raw and infectious teenage prophets of indie rock, to the experimental indie rock gods of 2013. Despite their numerous changes in direction, they have managed to retain and cherish their original sound which broke chart records, whilst adding layers of groundbreaking composition genius! Expect sulky rhythms, hip-hop inspired lines, sexy and husky vocals from one of the most talented song-writers of our generation, all accompanied by falsettos and that trademark guitar riff. They still tell similar stories to the ones we loved on the first album, but with a newfound wisdom which makes them the UK's most talented Indie rockers.

Buy it, listen to it again and again, dispel your reluctance to let anything touch 'Whatever people say', and you'll realise this is their most defining and accomplished musical production to date.
66 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2014
Awesome album.
Change of style from previous 2albums; however lyrically they are as sharp as ever.
Their maturity shines through and is definitely an outstanding addition to my music collection.
Love it!
on 24 June 2014
More great stuff from Arctic Monkeys. Anyone who constantly harks back the first two albums (which were great too) just listen to them. Imagine a band doing the same album ad nauseum...terrible isn't it. They don't live in Sheffield now, or hang with scallies so get over it.

This is heavy, dense, funky, sly, sexy, utterly superb and reflects the wide range of music the band are obviously absorbing.
on 9 January 2015
A longtime requested present. Sadly the album comes in the cardboard style case which doesn't protect well after multiple times of taking it out and putting it back. Why do they do this? ... anyway, overall a good album well received.
on 10 December 2013
OK, first off apologies for the star rating - no reflection on the album (which in mp3 form is great!), it's intended to highlight problems with how badly Amazon are wrapping/shipping the vinyl version. This review is therefore just for people thinking of getting the vinyl. I'll update the review and stars after Christmas by which time I hope to receive a replacement (though there is a good chance that may suffer the same damage as my first purchase). For now this is a heads up to anyone else thinking of buying a vinyl AM, or indeed any LPs from Amazon over Christmas.

Previously Amazon boxed and wrapped LPs pretty well. However, I now notice that this one is described as coming in "frustration free" packaging. Well, it was certainly easy to open because the packaging was so flimsy and damp that it easily unpeeled without even needing to tear any perforations in the thin card. Yes, mine arrived just wrapped in a single layer of thin and damp card, without any other cushioning or reinforcement and no mention the package was "records" or "fragile". Needless to say, when I received the LP on this otherwise dry night and after it had been out on the delivery run for about 10 hours, the package and record sleeve were both badly bent. I haven't even opened it, it looks so curved, so I requested a replacement. Having chatted with Amazon about this, Amazon say they cannot change the courier but "will make sure the drivers knows that this item is fragile". They also have not promised to improve the packaging which means there is a good chance the replacement will arrive in the same nick.

So, if you're ordering the vinyl, be aware that Amazon's packaging is nowhere near as protective as it used to be and if like my order yours is also intended to be a present, I'd think seriously about purchasing it some other way or allow good time to request a replacement. Also, don't make the mistake of downloading the mp3 version as soon as your purchase is confirmed as this will make it tricky to return and purchase elsewhere - I recommend waiting till you have an undamaged album in your hands.

Sorry to go on, but the whole idea of sending out vinyl "frustration free" seems really bad and may edge people who are buying Christmas gifts to buy elsewhere or maybe get the CD or download instead. I shall have to review something else soon to live up to my nick again.

UPDATE 10.01.14: My replacement vinyl AM turned out to be better packed, but the sleeve had been bent as if someone packing it had picked up the album by just one corner and waggled it. Ho hum, maybe I'm jinxed, still the vinyl itself was undamaged so I decided to flatten out the crease and keep it (as a present for a Monkey's fan...). I've updated the review to 4 stars since the vinyl album itself is really nice! The pressing is really heavy and thick (unlike many so-called 180g pressings these days), with little vinyl noise to it. The mastering is much more dynamic than the mp3 version I downloaded from Amazon's autorip, with plenty of bass. I've listened to it many times now. I wasn't a great Monkeys fan before buying this, and while my first impression was that the album was a bit too glum I've grown to love it. And even on my cheap system, the vinyl sounds hugely better than the mp3.
on 6 July 2014
I have never been a fan of the Arctic Monkeys but after hearing a couple of tracks on the radio i thought i would treat myself, so glad i did as this has been on my MP3 player continuously for the last 6 months and i still love it.
on 8 January 2014
every tracks perfect
last track is based around a famous, punk, beat poet john cooper clarke's poem i wanna be yours - best poem ever. this track is not on all versions of the album, x box music for example does not include it.
this is awesome
i was given their first album many years ago by a beautiful person and this does not disappoint, just as subtly heavy in a slinky kind of northern way
on 6 April 2014
The cd's in my car. The digital copy is on my tablet and phone. And the tracks are in my head even when I'm not listening to it! Awesome tunes. Brilliant lyrics. Stylishly delivered. Best track? For me - Snap out of it. I only wish I could.