Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 7 April 2014
I bought 'Little Beach Street Bakery' as I was looking for a light, easy read on my Kindle and it definitely didn't disappoint. I found myself being pulled into the story and really caring about the characters - it was sad in places, happy in others and made me laugh out loud more than once. A lovely read - especially for a holiday!
This is a lovely story and has a real feel good factor about it. The main character, Polly, is written about in such a way that you actually begin to care about her and what happens! I loved the descriptions in the book - made me want to move house nearer the sea...

This book is light reading and enjoyable. The kind that you want to read in one sitting.

Would recommend.
on 9 April 2014
I loved this book and didn't want it to end,for me it had everything beautiful Cornwall and the little puffin which somehow managed not to be naff,all the characters were believable and you wanted a happy ending for them all
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2014
OH MY! I have read most of Jenny Colgan’s books and am very fond of her Rosie Hopkins books. However, MOVE OVER Rosie because Polly is in town! I picked this book up and did not put it down until I managed to finish it later that day. I just fell in love again and again, and now I feel a little bit sad that Polly is gone. The only thingthat perked me up was the idea of a re-visit in the form of Jenny Colgan’s release in February 2015 entitled Summer at The Little Beach Street Bakery.

Polly Waterford is by far one of my favourite characters this year. She is without a doubt a gem of a woman who I literally cannot wait to read about next year. Polly is having a tough time and when her and her partners business fails she ups sticks and moves into a ramshackle flat which is basically an abandoned shop. The sleepy little town she is residing in is the furthest from what she is used to as you can get. It’s essentially an island that is isolated once the tides turn and the bridge to the mainland is inaccessible.

The way Jenny describes the place made me fall in love with it and immediately want to visit. While Polly is trying to recover from her past toxic relationship she realises that she has a whole new host of problems to deal with, such as a job, not knowing anybody and living in a place that is fit to be knocked down. However, Polly is not a pushover and her character from start to finish is just perfect. She is very sarcastic but funny with it and one of her relationships made me chuckle and it was with a bird!!!!

I don’t want to delve too much into the storyline as I don’t want to spoil it for anybody but trust me when I say this is a magical book and one which I read in one sitting. Jenny Colgan has won me over with Polly, and although Rosie remains one of my favourites she is beaten to the post by the brilliant Polly Waterford. If you haven’t read a Jenny Colgan, then what are you waiting for? A magical and reality escaping haven, it’s a book you should definitely have in your collection!
on 3 April 2014
If there is only 1 book you read this year then it has to be Little Beach Street Bakery. This novel definitely has the 'feel good factor'. There are lots of interesting characters in it & my favourites were Reuben & his relationship with Kerensa, Jayden & of course, the wonderful Neil! Please Jenny write a sequel
This is the first novel I have read by Jenny Colgan and I enjoyed it although I thought it was a bit "twee". It was basically a bit of lighthearted froth and there is nothing wrong with that - sometimes that is all you want. If you keep this in mind and don't look for anything deep and meaningful, then I am sure you will enjoy this novel. It would be a great holiday read. The central character is Polly. The business which she ran with her boyfriend, Chris has gone bust and they have also had to sell their flat. Their relationship has broken up as a result of this. Polly has had to find somewhere else to stay, and it has to be somewhere cheap. She finds a dilapidated flat on a tidal island off the cost of Cornwall. There was a causeway to the island which was inaccessible at high tide. Polly moves in and gradually develops her hobby of baking bread, into a small business. There are a number of matters which I found really silly and which affected my liking for the book. Firstly, the flat is described as being virtually derelict - the windows are cracked and there are holes in the roof. However, Polly appears to make the flat livable and comfortable without actually doing any work to it. How did she manage that? The second silly storyline concerns the puffin which Polly rescues and which becomes tamer than any budgie. She calls the puffin Neil and it becomes so tame she walks around with it sitting on her shoulder, like a parrot. This part of the story is so ludicrous that I found it very annoying. At one point Polly even takes the puffin with her on a coach to a funeral. There is a wake on the beach, with loud music, flashing lights, a barbecue and lots of people dancing. In the midst of this is the puffin, apparently quite happy! This novel would have been better if the ludicrous storylines, such as the tame puffin, had been excluded.
on 18 March 2014
I enjoyed this and found that I wanted to keep turning the page to find out what would happen. I pre-ordered this back in November, when it arrived I got started on it and then checked the blurb on line to remind myself what it was all about. The poor reviews surprised me because I had only started the book that morning but I was keen to keep reading. I don't want to give a way the story so it is hard to be specific. But I totally loved Neil who was a true bright spot. Polly, Tarnie & Huckle are good characters and Kerensa was fun best friend. This is a gentle tale of hurt and recovery, there are some sad events but as readers we are treated kindly. I have read a few of this author's books before which I have enjoyed. I think perhaps this is written in a different tone but is still a good read, a little bit distant in places but like I said at the beginning I still wanted to keep going to find out what happened so it pulled me in. Don't write it off, give it a go.
on 14 March 2014
Polly Waterford is recovering from a toxic relationship. Unable to afford their townhouse, she has to move miles away from everyone, to the sleepy little seaside resort of Polbearne where she lives alone above an abandoned shop.

Polly takes out her frustrations on her favourite hobby...making bread. But what was previously a weekend diversion suddenly becomes far more important as she pours her emotions into kneading and pounding the dough, and each loaf becomes better and better. With nuts and seeds, olives and chorizo, with local honey (courtesy of local bee keeper, Huckle), and with reserves of determination and creativity Polly never knew she had, she bakes and bakes and bakes...and people start to hear about it.

While the book was cute, and the setting was beautiful and fantastically described, I found it very hard to get in to the book. There was no sparkle for me and overall the entire book was very bland and boring for me.

I felt like there wasn't any chemistry between Polly and Huckle, which took away from the enjoyment of the book for a start. The lack of sparkle overall and the lack of fire and passion in the main romantic relationship made for a very below average book.

It wasn't all bad though, I could picture the little island town perfectly, and it was written very atmospherically, but overall it was bland, boring and very average.
on 12 August 2014
SPOILER ALERT!!! Hmmm - a bit disappointed with this book. I really like Jenny Colgan but this felt very like RHSOD (tortured hero, girl going it alone in a shop, irascible elderly person); also like TLCSIP (amateur cook becomes overnight success, likeable character written out for no good reason except to torture the hero and heroine a bit more) and it went on FOREVER. It was also absolutely far fetched beyond belief. I enjoy lots of romantic fiction so I can happily suspend my disbelief but there were elements of this book that were so silly that I just lost patience...... the heroine's ability to transform a derelict building into a working shop by sweeping the floor, her being given a million pound oven because she made some pancakes for a rich man, the heroine being able to single handedly bake enough bread to feed an entire small town, the dialogue, the plot, and don't get me started on the puffin! Actually I am now thinking that three stars may be generous, but it was nonetheless an enjoyable read and had some romantic moments. I just don't think I can forgive JC for killing off one of the best characters in the book, shortly after giving him a personality transplant.
on 29 January 2016
What a nice book! I love Polly and how her story unfolds with all its ups and downs. She is a likeable and believable person who I could relate to. It is well written with just the right balance between dialogue and description.
I was so sad along with Polly when disaster struck - and overjoyed when things worked out well for her. So pleased that she ends up with the right man. And I could completely understand her attachment to the delightful Neil - who is he? Well you will have to read the book to find out!
I have read it twice and about to read the sequel for the second time - I am now a big fan of Jenny Colgan!