Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 22 April 2014
As volume 2 in Bach's Paradox series, this book benefits from all the plot and character groundwork laid in Fortune's Pawn in its ability to delve even deeper into the development of the main characters -- all of whom are complex, flawed, but neither all-good nor all-bad, making the best of them likeable and even the worst ones at least understandable.

The author introduces some inventive new twists into the action-packed storyline. Once again, I found myself constantly on the edge of my seat and raced through the book in a single sitting because I just couldn't put it down.

One of my favourite things about this series is that the mechanics of the protagonist's combat armour have been so well-thought-out. The suit's numerous clever features and abilities are entirely believable, and almost make it another of the story's main characters.

Another of my favourite things is that these books, amongst all the fast-paced action, also manage to explore the facets of a couple's *extremely* complicated love-hate relationship whilst still avoiding dropping into sappy romance or torrid sex scenes. If you're looking for a Mills and Boon bodice-buster novel, you'll want to look elsewhere -- thankfully!

Devi Morris is quickly becoming one of my all-time favourite SFF heroes. I can't wait for the next volume Heaven's Queen to arrive.
on 8 February 2016
While I've enjoyed this book, it's not as good or as original as the first one. It feels like endless fights where Devi comes out on top each time, even though it's less and less likely. But my main problem is that at some point between writing her first book and this one, the author has clearly read Ryk Brown's series. How do I know that? The references to Hyperspace in the first book are all her own. In the second, she keeps referring to the "white light" of the "jump drive" or "the light of the jump drive washed over the ship". The descriptions are completely different to the first book and it is so jarring and so disturbing it is putting me off.

Similarly, it doesn't feel like she can get to an interesting and exciting conclusion so I am not sure I'm going to bother reading the third book. I'm certainly not paying £6 for it.
This fast paced action packed sci-fi drama continues to deliver quite a punch whilst the leading lady has the wow factor in abundance. Skilled mercenary Deviana (Devi) is still a little clueless as to what exactly she has signed up for as a guard on Captain Caldswell's trade ship. She has no recollection of the significant events that occurred at the end of book 1"Fortune's Pawn"; however those missing memories can't stay hidden forever.

Additional characters are introduced, plus more is learned of symbionts, Maat, the lelgis and what is expected from Devi when she is discovered to be a useful tool against the phantoms. Devi finds herself in some incredibly tricky staring death in the face situations that certainly fuel her survival instincts; leading to some breath taking displays of recklessness as she places her life in the hands of her unique armour The Lady Gray and her selection of beloved weapons.

This author left my head in a whirl; twisting around characters until you're never really sure if they're the good guys or the bad guys. The reader can fully appreciate Devi's reluctance and confusion when it comes to trusting a few key characters. There is a ridiculous amount of action that kept me turning pages at an alarming rate, plus the relationship between Devi and Rupert remains as tangled as ever. Get comfortable before starting this book, because once you start you'll be sucked into Devi's world and won't want to leave.
on 28 March 2014
The first of the series was not as readable as this book, but overall it is my kind of series. The protagonist is a strong female character, the story is a space opera type with military space fiction elements, the romance was not sickening but was leavened with humour. The story flows nicely.
on 26 March 2014
Read book 1 first. I you love reading Elizabeth Moon, Lois McMaster Bujold or Catherine Asaro then here is a new author for you. I loved this, it wasn't action for action's sake - it all has a purpose. Bit of a cliff hanger though.
on 5 November 2015
I think this is a great follow up to the first book. I have had a little break between these books but got sucked right back into the world and the situation. I loved the development of the plot with the two faction sides trying to solve the same problem. The problem with this book for me is I feel that as a character Devi takes a step backwards. She came across as such a strong independent character in the first book and now a romantic plot line ( that I'm not really enjoying) seems to sap some of that independence and make her more of a needy person than she came across in the first book.
I would still get the next book though so it cannot have upset me that much.
on 17 May 2014

on 17 May 2014

on 18 April 2014
I cannot recommend Rachel Bach's Paradox series highly enough. I thoroughly enjoyed book 1, and have now enjoyed book 2, even more. Fast paced, action packed, sexy and clever. Rachel has built a rich universe here with a great story, strong characters and quite simply huge amounts of entertainment. Read it - you won't be dissapointed.
on 6 March 2014
As the center of this new trilogy, it was equally as action packed and memorable as the first and keeps the reader totally into it, with its action-movie-like scenes and one liners! Loved it!
Most of all tho, is the way Rachel Bach has structured the civilizations throughout the series, especially the Paradoxian culture. The brilliant Medieval, and partly Roman characteristics is brilliantly portrayed, and displayed in a science fiction context which works unexpectedly well.. After reading it, what i'd give for some of that Verdemonte class armor!
As a whole, great sequel and awesome read. Read the first one before reading this, but definitely get both! You wont regret it.